libfreespace integration into source engine

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: libfreespace integration into source engine

Post by djdevin »

Hey, I just tried your HL VR mod with my hillcrest and it's pretty neat!

Did you notice that when you roll, it seems like instead of just rotating around an axis, it seems to stretch weirdly?

I'm using TriDef3D so this may be why.
adoral84
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by adoral84 »

I've never seen that before, I'm using nvidia's 3d support. I've heard of other games having that issue with Tri-Def though. You can disable roll with a console command (it's been a while so I don't quite remember), I actually played with it off quite a bit because the hillcrest tracker has some pretty abrupt recalibrations that are really jarring on the roll axis.

I'm in the process of building a DIY rift to kill time until march, once I get it up and running I'll try to do a nice integration with it (adding screen warping etc) and the hillcrest trackers (if you have two the mod will already do separate head/gun tracking although it needs some work).
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

I ordered the YEI 3-Space Sensor for my DIY RIFT build.
Will I be able to use this, or anything else for that matter with the YEI 3, or should I have gone with the Hillcrest tracker ?
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

3dvison wrote:I ordered the YEI 3-Space Sensor for my DIY RIFT build.
Will I be able to use this, or anything else for that matter with the YEI 3, or should I have gone with the Hillcrest tracker ?
This is currently only supporting hillcrest trackers but I'd like to make it so you can drop in a custom dll for any tracker and have it integrate with the source engine. From what I've read it seems the YEI is actually probably a better tracker than the hillcrest but I haven't used one directly. Hopefully we'll start to see easily pluggable head tracking apis in most popular game engines, the rift seems on track to pull this off.
love2scoot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by love2scoot »

Any word on changing the axis support on this? Having this oriented in a different direction than the default mouse emulation is cumbersome. Having a easy switch to specify actual/virtual axes would make this much easier to use...
djdevin
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by djdevin »

Is there any chance that this would work with an existing source game? I would think the camera control is similar but I really have no idea what would have to be done.

After seeing this in action, mouse emulation isn't doing it for me! :x
adoral84

Post by adoral84 »

If anyone's following I just released a pretty good update, I created a new thread for it.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=16174

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”