Yet another large FOV, high-res HMD released open source.

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
Zoide
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Yet another large FOV, high-res HMD released open source

Post by Zoide »

Wow, what an endorsement!

You say that the Rift is up there with 60k-100k goggles. What exactly makes it so special? What is the essence of the "magic" that makes it so great? It's truly surprising that a 20 year old kid can build something that beats decades and millions of dollars of research :woot

Thanks
vpamir
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vpamir »

Zoide wrote:Wow, what an endorsement!

You say that the Rift is up there with 60k-100k goggles. What exactly makes it so special? What is the essence of the "magic" that makes it so great? It's truly surprising that a 20 year old kid can build something that beats decades and millions of dollars of research :woot

Thanks
i was just wondering the exact same thing.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

Zoide wrote:It's truly surprising that a 20 year old kid can build something that beats decades and millions of dollars of research
We're all mightily impressed, but remember the kid didn't exactly appear out of nowhere. It comes down to the boom in the mobile phone panel market pushing the tech to where it needed to be (and at a reasonable price point), Palmer having the skills and experience to seize this opportunity (and a little cash to conduct proper experiments), and the iterative design of the headtracker. Go check out the slideshow of Palmer's various prototypes over in this Engadget article - dude may be a wunderkind but one thing he is not is a kid who just woke up one day and decided to launch a Kickstarter. :D
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
cassandrakhaw
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cassandrakhaw »

... completely out of the blue here, but would you be interested in doing an interview for Vice's Motherboard section?
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

cassandrakhaw wrote:would you be interested in doing an interview for Vice's Motherboard section?
I'd read it. TheLostBrain is one of the most consistently interesting posters on this thoroughly fascinating forum, and I still think the dual-panel approach has a fighting chance of claiming the high-end HMD market once the consumer Rift precipitates the rest of the market. I see I neglected to say it above, so: Thanks for sharing all this amazing stuff, LostBrain! Now go tell Vice about it! :D
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”