AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB PCI-e Graphics

Talk about AMD/ATI GPUs and driver performance here.
fialt
One Eyed Hopeful

AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB PCI-e Graphics

Post by fialt »

Hi,

I'm waiting on my new rig and I've been doing a lot of reading on 3d gaming and finally found this site :)

So if I understand correctly I'm tied to AMD HD3D and tridef because of my video card ? Or can I customize ?

What are your recommendations for a 3d monitor ? Samsung ? LG ? Acer ? Active vs Passive ?

Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: AMD Radeon HD 7970 3GB PCI-e Graphics

Post by cybereality »

I am using AMD on my latest rig (HD 6870), and I works pretty good. Yes, this means you are mostly tied to DDD but their driver is pretty good. Still maybe not as widely compatible as Nvidia, but its up there. I also seem to like the 3D DDD produces better, it seems to have more depth than Nvidia in some titles. You can also try IZ3D, but their driver has not been updated in a while so it only works good with older games.

It terms of monitors, its hard to pick one over the other, they have pros and cons. I have heard good things about the Samsungs, and some of their monitors will allow you to do the full 1080P resolution while gaming. Most other AMD compatible monitors will be limited to 720P (by HDMI). The passive ones can usually do 1080P interleaved, but that is still only half the resolution (though looks better than 720P). Passive has a brighter images, and is more comfortable on the eyes, but suffers from viewing angle issues.

What size monitor are you looking for, where will this be used, do you have a price range? I can recommend something specific.
fialt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fialt »

Thank for your quick response !

I'm flexible on my price range... I have read all I can find on 3d monitor reviews and to be honest with you I was surprised with how little I came up with... It looks like the best quality you can get is with a Samsung (unless I'm wrong), but a 27" is quite pricey. I might be interested the in 23" version.

The issue is the setup, from what I've read a lot of people are have issues with ghosting and/or driver and setup issues (even on the Tridef forums). Even read some things about having the wrong glasses shipped out with the monitors... But it looks like once you get the thing going it's amazing.

So yeah, I'm open to a 27" monitor if it isn't too pricey and otherwise, I might have to sacrifice size for quality and get a 23" Samsung.

You you're a fan of active ? I suppose it could be the better tech. of the two, if you can get the 60 fps without ghosting and 1080p gaming ?

I'm open to your suggestions in terms of a monitor...

Thanks again...
fialt
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by fialt »

**almost forgot... What do you recommend using for the best possible output (from the video card) to the monitor ? You think HDMI is better than the DVI or the other one... I forget what is called somethingport lol...
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I believe those Samsung sets use DisplayPort for the full HD 3D mode. That's probably the best port right now, though support is not widespread. With Nvidia they use Dual-Link DVI and that allows also for 1080P 3D. HDMI is a good standard for TVs but not so great for computers (since its limited to 720P when at 60Hz).

Personally I like active better since the picture quality is sharper. But active can be dark, and more taxing on the eyes. Passive does have a brighter image usually, and the glasses are more comfortable. However passive also has issues with the viewing angles, plus the resolution is reduces and the image looks soft. Not a clear winner, but I use active most of the time.

Return to “General AMD/ATI Discussion”