Multiple Razer Hydras?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Multiple Razer Hydras?

Post by Chriky »

I noticed that the SDK for the Hydra allows for several base stations connected to the same PC; unless I'm missing something really obvious wouldn't that totally break how it works because the magnetic fields would get mixed up? Has anyone had any experience using multiple base stations close to each other?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Multiple Razer Hydras?

Post by cybereality »

I noticed this too, but I only have one to test. It would be cool if somehow using two made it more accurate but I bet it just syncs to one unit at a time (useful for two player games, for example).
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I believe the SDK/Dev version allows 2 base stations (OR, is that 4 sensors?), and there is facility for 4 base stations in the SDK.

The standard Hydra only supports 1 base station, 2 sensors however.

I can think of at least one way they could merge 2 base stations, that being interleaving the magnetic emitter/trackers refresh rate, so that in frame 1 you emit/track the first set, in frame 2 you do the 2nd set.
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Chriky »

Maybe the setActiveBase command or whatever it is immeadiately turns off/on the magnetic fields, so that they don't interfere. Do people actually know exactly how the Hydra works or is it kept secret?
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Yeah, thats what I was meaning. I suspect this is the easiest way to support multiple trackers simultaneously.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”