Zalman ZM-220w problem.

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
mfalx
One Eyed Hopeful

Zalman ZM-220w problem.

Post by mfalx »

Hiya!

I seem to having a problem with my ZM-220w, its almost as if polarised glass has slipped a fraction and I am getting terrible ghosting on the left side of the screen. Its near perfect on the right side of the image then gradually seems to "slip" the further you look the left.

I have checked scaling and other obvious software stuff that might cause a slight rotation of the image and I have re-instaled the video drivers but to no avail.

I can get a fairly reasonable stereo image if I set the monitor to a right angle from the desk surface and sit with my eyes level with the top bezel and kind of look down (about 12" away), but this is not how I remember the viewing angle before and I am still getting ghosting in the upper corners. I am sure previously I had to tilt the monitor back a bit and have my eyes level with the center of the screen.

I think im going mad, can any other 220w owners remind me of the perfect viewing angle/screen position.

thanks,
Alex.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Zalman ZM-220w problem.

Post by cybereality »

I also have the Zalman 22" and have not had this issue. The 3D effect is pretty consistent between the left and the right. Was this monitor always like that for you or did it develop over time? Seems strange that the polarizer would shift, but I guess its possible. I do recall someone else had this same problem but I'm not sure they ever fixed it. Probably out of warranty now, but maybe if you contact Zalman they might be able to help somehow.

What I can tell you from my experiments with parallax barriers is that the alignment needs to be ultra-precise. So, unless you are a serious hardware genius, I would not recommend taking apart the monitor to try to fix it. I mean, maybe as a last resort, but its not going to be easy to align it perfectly. I don't mean to discourage you, if you feel daring don't let me stop you. I just know I would not take the risk. But I guess if the monitor is not in an acceptable condition now maybe its worth it to you.

Anyway, the perfect viewing position for me on this monitor is directly level with the center of the screen at about 18" distance away.
mfalx
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mfalx »

Hi Mate, thanks for the response, thought it may be you :).

Yes, then definetely something a miss. If I open photoshop and draw a horizontal single line and put my eyes into the position/level you describe, the line dissappears left to right/right to left (depending on which interleave/scanline i draw it on).

It never used to be like this, it was perfect. It has never been moved, hit or had any unusual trauma. :)

I am going to try it on another workstation just in case its the graphics card. I will keep you posted. I will definetely not be trying to fix it.
mfalx
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mfalx »

Good news!

So after trying it on another system and experimenting with DVI/VGA cables I was pretty certain that it was the monitor that was at fault. So i took my 1680x1050 white background with 1 pixel thick horizontal black line BMP file and tried moving around the various angles to see if i could spot what was going on. Eventually I thought I could see that the black line was dropping slightly on the right half of the screen (by opening and closing left and right eyes with glasses on), so i pinched the monitor with my thumb on the right of screen and fingers on the back and gently massaged the glass upward and low and behold the black line started to disappear in my left eye. Some more massaging (sliding my thumb over the glass with a little pressure) and it vanished completely in my left eye and became solid in my right eye. FIXED!!! And it actually looks better than it did before too!

Interestingly, i had noticed that the NVIDIA Driver had managed to get the eyes swapped, i though this had been a software error with the driver but after my magical massage skills, all was back to normal.

Thanks for your time and advice Cybereality, and I hope this will maybe serve another panic stricken ZM-220w user in the future :)

I can now get the PC version of my game properly 3D ready now too!

Alex
FUTURE-B Games
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... ealphafree
[shameless plug]
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Wow! A great end to the story. This is good info to know.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Always wondering can any one answer this question

1) Zalman uses Active Barrier or Passive Barrier for Polarization?

like polarization is always there or it gets active only when you switch on?
My LG monitor has FPR which is polarized micro film so its always there and you start seeing interleaved lines as you put on glasses regardless 3D app running or not

Is it also case in ZALMAN as if its active barrier then passive glasses when put on without activating 3d Button should show clean display without any lines.

Now you may think how does it matter
Well what i think is if polarization is always there then you will see micro lines if you stare at your monitor ( i said stare not see or watch) but barrier is mechanical then display will look neat and clean when 3d is not on.
mfalx
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mfalx »

hiya bud, it's a passive barrier, I would imagine a lot like your LGs, and the symptoms you describe sound very familiar.

I was thinking of getting the 27" LG how do you find it?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Its the same technology: FPR, xPol, etc. Its just a polarized film attached to the panel so its always *on* so to speak.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@mfalx
I used D2342P and tech and result both are good so i can recomend

LG DM2780D 27" 3D monitor

but see the thread

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showth ... t=18366568

they are sending wrong glasses with monitor which is giving ghosting
so wait till air get cleared

Though this are posting of FEB what i can suggest go to shop ask for live demo and look for purple ghosting if you notice don buy. online purchase not recomended
mfalx
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mfalx »

Thanks. Great I will check that link.

I noticed this commotion with the glasses, similar effect to the RealD glasses used on my Zalmon i presumed. They are going cheap at moment so might grab one.

Return to “3D Monitors”