Whats the first thing you saw in 3D?

cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Whats the first thing you saw in 3D?

Post by cybereality »

I think my first experience with 3D was with the old-school ViewMaster, I might have been like 5 or 6. I don't remember.

The first 3d movie I saw was probably this cheesy Halloween special on TV, and yes, Elvira was involved. :shock:

So what was the first thing *you* saw in 3d?
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

well i didnt even count those viewer thingies you mentioned...i remember those from my childhood :)

But what ignited my fascination was actually a visit to a 3D IMAX and watching the Encounters show.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

The real world! Ok, I know that's not what you mean.
Same as cyber, I would have been about 5 or 6 and had a view master. There was a dinosaur disc that was really cool.
After that, I was fascinated in year 7 or 8 (about 13 years old) by the magic eye pictures so I started making my own side-by-side images, just drawing them simply knowing about perspective. I played around with mirrors and that sort of thing too.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

some soviet version of a viewmaster/magic eye back in my childhood, then just recently shutterglasses :)
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

Sad to say...Hondo on some tv network special. You had to buy the 3D glasses at 7-11.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Young years: Viewmasterthingy with exchangeable diapicturewheels was my first experience. I might have been kinda 10 years old or so.. lol

Somewhere in the 80's swedish television showed red/green-anaglyph movies. Those glasses came with newspapers, were everywhere to buy and some shows on tv even had some 3d-snippets. Was more like a gimmick and didn't catch me somewhere close as 3d today! The red/green colors really destroyed the experience, that and the poor quality of the movies. :lol:.

For maybe 7 years ago i bought a pair of e-dimensional wireless glasses and started to game in 3d. Nothing really blew me away like this experience! This is in my meaning the first real true-3d experience i had!

A visit in an imax-like cinema at the joypark Liseberg a few years ago made me determined to build my own polarised rig. They only show a imax-demomovie which is only a few minutes long but the 3d-effect is astounding. Also found out that the Kosmonova-cinema in Stockholm surely is a real IMAX-cinema.
Now i have a polarised dual projector rig and an iz3d 22" and when i have time i'm enjoying 3d like never before!

Pieces of history :lol:

cheers
Last edited by Likay on Sat May 31, 2008 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Cool, seems like everyone had one of those ViewMasters.

Anyway, I just wanted to add that I think the IMAX3D was probably what got me seriously into 3d. It was the first time I saw stereo 3d that actually worked, no if-ands-or-buts about it. I saw this undersea 3d movie (Into the Deep) and it is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen. The fish really looked like they were directly in front of you. Even Beowulf 3D wasn't as impressive and didn't have that true holographic quality as the IMAX3D and this was probably around '98.
mastRmind
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mastRmind »

I don't remember what the first thing I say in stereoscopic 3d was, but IMAX3D was defiantly what first drew my attention to stereoscopic 3d. The quality of IMAX3D is by far the best I have seen and I highly doubt anything will beat IMAX3D in amazing stereoscopic 3d in the near future. The interesting thing about IMAX3D is I have never noticed any ghosting and the pop out effect is simply amazing.

I am really curious how much the screen must cost in those huge IMAX3D theaters, as good quality non-polarizing screens are very expensive. :shock: 8)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

oh just remembered- the type of pattern that comes printed at the back of notebooks that if you stare at it long enough a shape will pop out, and also images printed on special sea-floor-shaped plastic that if you stare at it from different angles the the perspective changes
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
artox
Cross Eyed!

Post by artox »

The first thing I saw were the stereoscopic picture cards, which you have to hold at a certain angle to see the effect. But I really became hooked on stereo when I found out that Nvidia were making s-3d drivers and rushed to get me a pair of anaglyphs.
cirk2
Certif-Eyed!

Post by cirk2 »

The first I saw in 3d...

It was one of these pictures, that are looking like silly forms but if you apply an viewing technik (Some kind of Parralel, have to put you nose on the picture and then move you head slowly away.) you see an nice 3d picture.
I Think i was 6-7 years old, or so^^

Then I forgot about 3D, but in the 10th Class (I life in Germany) we traveled to Berlin and visited an IMAX 3D cinema. From this time on i began to look up about 3D-Stereo for Computers. In 2006 I bougt a pair of Edimensional Glasses and started 3D Gaming.

In may 2007 then I joiend the Forces of MTBS3D, some time after I got my VR920, wich was first working proper on my pc wit the Nvidia Driver, but then came Vista....

And now 1 jear after the vr920 I got the first solution of 3D that is siply working: An Zalman 3D^^

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”