Windows 7 Features Revealed

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Windows 7 Features Revealed

Post by Silversurfer »

Engadget.com is reporting from All Things Digital conference the following breaking news from Microsoft:

" Here's what Bill Gates and Steve Ballmer revealed about Windows 7 at All Things Digital a few minutes ago. The biggest "feature" is the touch and multi-touch integration, which takes many of its roots from Microsoft's Surface Table, and will be available as an interface options for other apps. Here's some more stuff they pulled out, which we captured in photos here.
• There will be a OSX-like dock, though how OS X-like is yet to be seen.
• Multi-touch gestures in photogalleries like two-finger zoom, flicking, and panning. Think of the photo app on the Microsoft Surface table.
• Multi-touch paint program where you can draw with 10 fingers (again, think of what you've already seen in Surface)
• Multi-touch piano app
• In-depth mapping application that pulls from Microsoft's Live Maps and Microsoft Virtual Earth
Looks like a LOT of the multi-touch features were culled from the Surface team, and the non-touch features look fairly similar to what's already in Vista (based on the video above). Those apps are demo apps only, and will be revised/rewritten/reworked before the final version of Windows 7 is available. All this will be yours in about 18 months. [Vista Blog]
"

Article:
http://feeds.gawker.com/~r/gizmodo/full ... s-revealed

Looks like shares in touch screen technology are going to go through the roof, where's my broker when I need him :).
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

LOL also cleaning products for cleaning that touch screen (got one at work - not my thing really).
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

How about the feature of not being bloated? How about bringing back intelligent option menus and a control panel?

What if we just want to run applications and not be attacked by a zillion different forms of eye-candy as the PC grinds to a halt, even with 2GB of ram and a dual-core CPU, with a 256MB DDR3 video card?

Ugh, this is not the proper direction to be going.

I only mention because recently I dug out my IBM tablet PC running Windows 3.11, with a 486 30mhz and 4mb of ram it is able to recognize written words and quickly (for the most part) open windows and multi-task. In DOS programs were downright snappy, no need for GUI even. Got me wondering why I can't get a watch with this sort of compute power (I know all about the PALM Pilot watches http://hamdomain.com/wrist-pda/ , and yes, I want one.)

I don't mind if they are "introducing a paradigm shift" in control interfaces or not, the damn thing needs to be usable and responsive. And not just because you throw $xxxx of hardware and incredible amounts of memory at the problem.

I guess I am not really adding a positive note, but it seems a bit presumptive of the big softy to pump up the next os when the current turd hasn't even metamorphosed into a real OS. Yes I could get used to it, just as many people do, I ran across a blog post the other day from someone mentioning how they booted XP for something and realized how soon they forgot what a responsive OS felt like when they had been using Vista for a bit.

Return to “General Discussion”