3D Gaming for consoles - ? Is it possible

staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

3D Gaming for consoles - ? Is it possible

Post by staticbuddha »

I know that 3D gaming is possible fo PC's but is there anything for consoles???????

ps. also check out this link ?? http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 0&skip=yes
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 3D Gaming for consoles - ? Is it possible

Post by yuriythebest »

staticbuddha wrote:I know that 3D gaming is possible fo PC's but is there anything for consoles???????

ps. also check out this link ?? http://www.computerandvideogames.com/ar ... 0&skip=yes
he may be referring to a prototype or something. At the moment no non-gimmick solutions exist for consoles. Overall that article is very vague. And when it says "without the need for those rubbish 3d glasses" I lost all respect for the author.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Theres nothing out currently that provides stereo3d on the consoles. There are some companies working towards this though. That article linked above was based on a comment James Cameron made regarding the Avatar movie and game tie-in. Ubisoft is working on a game for the movie and Cameron said they have an early build in stereo 3d on the xbox360. That doesn't mean they will be able to release this version to the public. But one could hope.

Also, Vuzix has a prototype (maybe working, I don't know) of an HMD on the xbox360. Its called VR920-X, but thats about all the info there is.

Chances are it won't happen yet, I'd say probably on the next-gen consoles. Unless Microsoft develops the 3d driver themselves, but what are the chances of that?

I could see Sony doing something with the PS3. They have produced HMDs in the past and there was that PSP stereo-goggle attachment. I don't know, buts its a possibility.
The_Nephilim
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by The_Nephilim »

Well According to ED you can :

http://edimensional.com/product_info.ph ... ucts_id=39

You may not get a Hi Def Signal as it only supports S-Video but you can try a S-Vid to Component Converter.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

The_Nephilim wrote:Well According to ED you can :
...and 50% of the time, it works every time!

[note: I'm just joking. I seriously doubt that black-box does anything besides give you a headache.]
Last edited by cybereality on Tue May 27, 2008 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

The_Nephilim wrote:Well According to ED you can :

You may not get a Hi Def Signal as it only supports S-Video but you can try a S-Vid to Component Converter.

yes, however this only gives you fake 3d- there is no driver that makes 2 slightly different views. You just get a 2d image converted to 3d based on motion, which is a gimmik.
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

unfortunately consoles are too weak for 3D - if we are talking about real double render, not tricks - as we know from our partners who are console game developers they use full people of hardware even for common 2d game - we made few demos for iZ3D with console, but I'm not sure it is for tomorrow - may be 2009...
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

BlackQ wrote:unfortunately consoles are too weak for 3D - if we are talking about real double render, not tricks - as we know from our partners who are console game developers they use full people of hardware even for common 2d game - we made few demos for iZ3D with console, but I'm not sure it is for tomorrow - may be 2009...
you would have to specify:
consoles are to weak for 3D on games, which are not designed for that. It could work if details, resolution and maybe postprocessing were reduced.
One more interesting thing would be to have a more Powerfull update of the existing consoles.
Imagine a PS3 SLI (PS3 is by nvidia, right?), where each card renders one picture. It would have some special driver/hardware, so it would run with every normal PS3 game :D
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

I'm talking about rendering - consoles are weaker than PC

we are not considering any hardware changes in consoles, but it is very hard and long term process.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

LukePC1 wrote:
BlackQ wrote:unfortunately consoles are too weak for 3D - if we are talking about real double render, not tricks - as we know from our partners who are console game developers they use full people of hardware even for common 2d game - we made few demos for iZ3D with console, but I'm not sure it is for tomorrow - may be 2009...
you would have to specify:
consoles are to weak for 3D on games, which are not designed for that. It could work if details, resolution and maybe postprocessing were reduced.
One more interesting thing would be to have a more Powerfull update of the existing consoles.
Imagine a PS3 SLI (PS3 is by nvidia, right?), where each card renders one picture. It would have some special driver/hardware, so it would run with every normal PS3 game :D
I don't see why not? You can network up to 5 Xbox360s with Forza to get 3-screen gaming (cock-pit view):
http://forzamotorsport.net/news/tuningg ... screen.htm

They could probably do the same thing for 3d, I mean its the same concept. Having multiple systems to render multiple cameras. I know for a fact that Xbox360 can do this, and probably the PS3 as well (I think for GT4 they have that feature). Although its a pretty niche market there, people with dual Xbox360s with and a capable stereo3d display. The technology is just not mass-market enough for console. Stereo3d will need to become much more popular on PCs before that happens.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote: Stereo3d will need to become much more popular on PCs before that happens.
debatable. If xbox does launch the virtual helmet (vr920-x) and advertises it through the roof then it'll be the other way round. Doesn't really matter, cause if consoles will have it then PC gamers everywhere will start wondering why they don't have this.
staticbuddha
Cross Eyed!

Post by staticbuddha »

emm I can only dream for 3D gaming on consoles :) below is what I believe may happen

1) cheapest soultion is headset which can be used for 3d and carrys of the high cost by also provideing around a 105" gaming 2d screen (around £100-£200)
2) the game has standard and spilt screen mode (showing slight different shots) and when used with an xbox adaptor channels each split screen to each eye giving 3D
If the xbox needs extra processing power then it maybe able to take it from that most headsets are 800x600 and therefore dont need so much processing power as 1080i/p etc

Just for note - I read there are two million 3d capable tv's already in peoples homes with the samssung checkerboard soultion,, emm

again I can only dream this is going to happen
RS422
Two Eyed Hopeful

3D for PS2

Post by RS422 »

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: 3D for PS2

Post by yuriythebest »

at first I was getting ready to bash this as it looked like your typical 2d->3d converter like those of edimensional (the glasses are even the same), however then I saw a link to the list of compliant games with ratings :
Perfect: No loss of control and perfect stereoscopic 3D.

Good: A little loss of control but 3D is perfect.

Some: Areas that have good 3D.

Weak: No loss of control but with weak 3D effect
this sounds like a real thing. I do not own a PS 1/2/3 and I do not intend to get one but if I did I'd get the PS2 now cause it's graphics + s3d = much better than PS3+flat-o-vision. However I find it strange that "loss of control" is regarded as the only/main side effect. I wonder what they mean by that.
cybereality

Re: 3D for PS2

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I forgot about that device. When people say consoles, I just assume current-gen. I was going to get that at one point, but I think its supposed to only work OK for some of the titles. It is supposedly real 3d, but doesn't work with a lot of games. In fact, the ones pictured might be it (I remember there was a list with not more than like 20 titles and I doubt its been updated).
StereoGaming4Me
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by StereoGaming4Me »

The AV920 from Vuzix can in theory create 3D without any extra hardware. If anyone has tried these and can compare it to the Video Pro 3D i-glasses please let me know. I tried the Video PRO 3D with the virtual fx converter once but headache came fast and 3D effect was difficult to see.

Thanks!
cardinalstud08
One Eyed Hopeful

Yes!

Post by cardinalstud08 »

I have a little bit of insider information. I've spoken to Mitsubishi representitives about just this, since they have their 3D-ready DLPs. It's certainly possible right now with the PS3. It has all the hardware capabilities that it needs to suport stereoscopic 3D in HD. Mitsubishi is actually working with Sony to get 3D in the works as soon as possible, but it may or may not pan out. The Mitsubishi reps said that if it doesn't come into play on the PS3, the PS4 wil almost certainly have 3D capabilities. We just need to create a bigger demand so that it is more economically desirable for Sony.
cybereality

Re: Yes!

Post by cybereality »

cardinalstud08 wrote:I have a little bit of insider information. I've spoken to Mitsubishi representitives about just this, since they have their 3D-ready DLPs. It's certainly possible right now with the PS3. It has all the hardware capabilities that it needs to suport stereoscopic 3D in HD. Mitsubishi is actually working with Sony to get 3D in the works as soon as possible, but it may or may not pan out. The Mitsubishi reps said that if it doesn't come into play on the PS3, the PS4 wil almost certainly have 3D capabilities. We just need to create a bigger demand so that it is more economically desirable for Sony.
Well of course its technically possible. The PS3 basically runs a custom 7900 nvidia card, which is what many users here are using for S-3D. And seeing as the consoles are basically just proprietary computers, theres no reason they couldn't handle it (with some reduced performance of course). The problem is the drivers. You can't just make a program that runs as a background service on a console (they would not allow stuff like that). That would be needed for any type of 3rd party 3d driver (maybe it could be done with a modchip and some serious hacking, but certainly not a licensed product) . It would either have to be implemented native-3d into the game by the devs, or have the manufacturer (aka Sony) implement the driver themselves as part of a software/firmware update. There is no way, AFAIK, to do something like this on current-gen consoles without explicit help from the 1st party. Thats the main issue, its not really an issue of hardware on the console.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”