these in 3D? Thief 1/2/3, SysShock 2, Need for Speed 3/4/5/6

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
hifidelitygaming
One Eyed Hopeful

these in 3D? Thief 1/2/3, SysShock 2, Need for Speed 3/4/5/6

Post by hifidelitygaming »

Also Half Life 1, Aliens vs Predator 1999, Quake 2...

Does anyone play any of these older games in 3D? I am aware they do not work on modern "Nvidia 3D Surround" (yet were the reason I bought a pair of 260gtx's hoping to play them) yet i'm willing to build a retro rig even with win98 and Wicked3D if needed just to play them since they were my favorites growing up.

I cannot find specific information, I know that the 2007 Nvidia XP driver didn't want to play Thief 1 in 3D (but seemed to be listed as working in someone else's internet post for Wicked3D) when I tried, and although Thief 3 works it's no longer supported in the NEW 3D Surround drivers removed on purpose apparently. :(

--

Just as an update to my own post, i'm seeing that Wicked3D originally played many if not all of these games, but i'm not sure if there was an XP Wicked3D driver or whether any of the Wicked3D stuff is even still available. Since the older Nvidia driver is based off the Wicked3D I was wondering whether anyone could verify whether the games still work, even with as late as the 2007 driver supporting at least 7900 level cards.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: these in 3D? Thief 1/2/3, SysShock 2, Need for Speed 3/4

Post by LukePC1 »

I think the latest Nvidia drivers with OpenGL support or Dx8 or smth. were for GF7900. I had 91.31 and 94.xx running pretty well with some games that don't work anymore.

But most games do still work with the new versions of 3D driver (Gf 8800 and newer).
If I remember right the main disadvantage of the driver "upgrade" from GF7 to GF8 was dropped support for lot's of display types.

I think NFS MW was my favorite NFS part. It had some glitches, though. :roll:
In general it was some work with video settings to get best results (= least artefacts).
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Zerofool
Cross Eyed!

Re: these in 3D? Thief 1/2/3, SysShock 2, Need for Speed 3/4

Post by Zerofool »

Hi, I noticed there's a thread for Thief and SS2 (which are based on the same engine btw (except Thief3)).
P.S. I just noticed that the last post there is yours :oops:.

I did some testing with my 7900GTX last year, and I can confirm that NFS5 works OK, although the 3D effect is not as great as I had imagined. I can't comment on Quake2 exactly, but I played a bit of Kingpin, which uses the Q2 engine, and it was pretty good.
NFS6 is DX8.1, and it should work with modern solutions, I tried it with iZ3D a few months back, and it's mainly OK, with the exception of car models - they are all rendered as big white boxes, pretty ugly sight :), and this makes it unplayeble for my standards. I also remember trying Thief 3 with iZ3D (the game is DX8) but unfortunately the lighting was buggy, or the shadows, can't remember exactly, but it was ruining the game.
BTW, NFS2SE works fine in 3D with Glide->DX wrapper ;).
LukePC1 wrote:I think the latest Nvidia drivers with OpenGL support or Dx8 or smth. were for GF7900.
I think they support DX9 as well, or at least partially, I remember playing Oblivion, it was quite buggy if I remember correctly. Oh, Condemned was pretty good with this legacy driver, and it's DX9c I think.
nV 3DTV Play, Geo-11, Tridef on 2014 55" Samsung H7000 (aka H7150) @ 1080p60 Checkerboard-3D | Valve Index | RTX 2080Ti, i7-6700K, 32GB 3200CL14, 1+2TB SSDs | Win10 v2004 | DAN A4-SFX | G27

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”