Skyrim 1.5 Patch and Shadows

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Skyrim 1.5 Patch and Shadows

Post by Zloth »

It looks like the 1.5 beta patch for Skyrim is causing some shadow issues. For anyone out there playing, it would be a good idea to back up your Skyrim program data ASAP just in case the patch goes out as is.

Topic on Bethesda forums here: http://forums.bethsoft.com/topic/135926 ... stereo-3d/
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of."
- They Might Be Giants
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Skyrim 1.5 Patch and Shadows

Post by Neil »

Post the results in GameGrade3D so there is a formalized record of the problem. Attach screenshots as well.

Regards,
Neil
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zloth »

The 1.5 patch is still in beta testing. I don't think it would be a good idea to rate the game off a beta. However, if this problem is still in there once the patch DOES go live, it's going to be a major problem. Most folks have Steam auto-update and there's NO way to go back to a previous version. Bethesda doesn't have old versions for download, either.

So, if you've got the 1.4 version then I would strongly urge you to make a backup of the program directory. You may need to turn off Steam updates and play off the older version.

P.S. I did add a new rating for Skyrim 1.4. The 3D Vision Compatibility Project mod made a MASSIVE difference! Skyrim is right up there with Witcher 2 now for S3D compatibility.
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of."
- They Might Be Giants
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Thanks for the heads up. I have turned of updates until further info.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zloth »

You might want to make a copy of your directory just in case. The patch is out now and the very first thing Steam will do if you've got updates turned on is delete the main exe.

And yes, the patch makes at least some shadows 2D. (I haven't seen it personally.) The "fix" is to turn off shadows.

I find this to be a terribly sad turn. Skyrim with the 3D Vision Compatibility mod in version 1.4 is downright stunning - easily deserving a gold rating and pushing platinum.
- They Might Be Giants
Okta

Post by Okta »

Im using DDD so i may not have the issue. Cant find anything about it.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zloth »

If you've got the issue you will NOT miss it, that's for sure. Shadows (all shadows, not just grass shadows) are positioned completely wrong. It's like the light source for the left eye and the right eye are on opposite sides of the screen.

:cry:
- They Might Be Giants
Okta

Post by Okta »

Unfortunately Bethesda are one of the "we dont like 3d" game developers.

Update- Confirmed shadows broken in DDD as well. :evil:
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zloth »

The real buggar in this is that Steam won't let you revert to 1.4 and Bethesda isn't making it available for download.
- They Might Be Giants
Okta

Post by Okta »

I will just turn shadows off for a while. Tridef will release a fixed profile soon i think.
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zloth »

Sounds like HeliX has some ideas on how to fix the 3D Vision side, too. Maybe we aren't all that doomed!'

Edit: Mischief Managed!
- They Might Be Giants
FR3D
Cross Eyed!

Post by FR3D »

Just replace the the TESV.exe ( Patch 1.5) with the old TESV.exe (Patch 1.4) - and 3D is again working perfectly.

best regards FR3D
best regards FR3D
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

Looks to me like the driver is misidentifying the shadow map and as a result rendering it in stereo from 2 different camera positions
Nvidia use heuristics based on render-state and the size of the render target to "guess" if something needs to be rendered in stereo, I'd guess the developer made some minor changes to the state when rendering shadows and that's what you get.
If it is that, it can't be fixed in the shader, you'd have to catch the render state changes and force the state to something the driver realized it didn't need to double up when the target was changed for shadow rendering.
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zloth »

Well, it was fixed by a shader so it must not have been that. ;)

I'm not sure HeliX has gotten every single little shadow problem fixed, though, so I'm still sticking with 1.4.
- They Might Be Giants
Kage1230
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kage1230 »

Hi everybody.

I found a fix for people experiencing the bug where the shadows would follow the cursor.
Under you're skyrimprefs.ini if you do not have the the line ''bDeferredShadows=0'' simply add it under the Display section. It worked for me.

Note this did not completly fix every shadow bug. This simply just fixed the problem where shadows followed mouse directions.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

Kage1230 wrote:Hi everybody.

I found a fix for people experiencing the bug where the shadows would follow the cursor.
Under you're skyrimprefs.ini if you do not have the the line ''bDeferredShadows=0'' simply add it under the Display section. It worked for me.

Note this did not completly fix every shadow bug. This simply just fixed the problem where shadows followed mouse directions.
Thanks, this tip also works for iZ3D.
It fix the major shadow issue.
I saw in another forum that it reverse the shadow rendering to the pre-1.5 way.
Still works on release 1.9.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”