VR or AR Glasses for PC Games

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
faker
One Eyed Hopeful

VR or AR Glasses for PC Games

Post by faker »

Hi

wanted to ask, if someone managed to play Skyrim with VR/AR Glasses? I only know of
http://www.winextra.com/2011/11/using-v ... -3d-video/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
but its kinda short on Skyrim(and in windowed mode too). and he doesn't say if he can read the books/subs/... well with them.

I want to play mainly 2 games with them(Skyrim and Darkfall Online (2)) maybe just for the fun The Sims 3, but last is no requirement.
I don't care if they are currently only 720p or less, as long as its playable and watchable(no 4:3 VGA-Resolutions ;) )

So my Questions:

Skyrim:
From the looks of the Video it is working, headmovement lets you look around. Don't need handtracking, different look and target directions/... or similar.
1) Is it really working, as Camera don't show his hands and mouse as in the WoW part, so dunno if he is looking with the mouse?
2) Is 3D, except the Stars/Water and the Cross working?
3) Text ingame is readable(Books/Subs/Inventar/Quests)?

Darkfall Online (2):
1) Will use it for looking around, so Mousemovement = Headmovement.
2) Nvidia Vision 1 is working great with it, except some parts with Bowanimations where you put it away. Will it work with lets say the Sony HMD/... too?
3) Text ingame is readable(Books/Subs/Inventar/Quests)?

What will be for the rainy summerdays the best one for gaming? Currently i am thinking about getting the Vuzix 1200VR(cheap) and later buying the ST1080 with TrackIR 5 and the models that will come after that from them. Or is the Sony HDM that good, that its a must buy, till better ones come out, or the zeiss one, ...?

As i have only have and will buy 16:10 Monitors, i don't have 3D currently, as > 24" with 3D are very expensive. So the VR/AR Glasses are my shortcut to 3D, in Movies and Games, as i generally liked the old Helmets and now the Glasses more than the Monitor 3D features.

hoping that i didn't ask too much questions at once
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: VR or AR Glasses for PC Games

Post by cybereality »

I'd say go with the Sony. The Vuzix is just not that great quality (even for the price). 720P should be enough to read most text, though obviously not as good as a 1080P+ monitor. And the HMZ-T1 should be well supported by Nvidia or AMD.
faker
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by faker »

thnx cyber, i will try the hmz-t1 + trackir 5 when i get my new rig(ivy and kepler build).

hope than for the successor of the st1080 with gaming specs to arrive in about a year, so i can switch to it after that.

Something for the guides here, its very hard to find infos, about the textquality from games/subs with the glasses, i just guessed that it will be a bit of a problem from the distance specs of the viewing screens, they wrote in the tech sheets. And from things i remembered from Black and White 1 times with VR-Helmet and Gloves.
Guig2000
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Guig2000 »

You will not have problems to read text if you select the native resolution of your HMD/screen/projector into your games (1280*720 in the case of the HMZ-T1).
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I've played Skyrim with Emagin Z800 goggles. 800x600 mode. The text is very readable etc, everything is sweet except for the water (which i've heard is fixed in a new mod recently posted on this site).
Aiming for me was done with the mouse since the headtracker on the Z800 doesn't work with 64 bit. It would allow you to use a device like a Hydra or Wiimote to aim/use head motion. I'd combine both personally, it sounds wierd but worked very well for me with Left4Dead. That way, you can look around, and make fine corrections with the controller (plus its more realistic to aim/shoot this way).

Eventually after playing games like this however, you realise that it will never be the experience we all really want until the game coders take VR into account. I look forward to the day that I can draw a virtual arrow and loose it at a target...

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”