Hunger in Los Angeles

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Hunger in Los Angeles

Post by PalmerTech »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/3 ... ml#s648675" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The eagle eyed among you may recognize the HMD they used! ;)

I lent my PR4 to this project, after fixing a few of the flaws that Cyberreality encountered in his time with the unit. Thanks Cyber, without you, people would not have had as fun of an experience!

I will post some more pictures (We have thousands, literally) when the media people get them to me, but man was it fun. I got to go to Sundance film festival to make sure everything operated well, and the reactions we got from people were amazing. Over 600 people went through the 6 minute long simulation, and we had some people crying, going into shock, etc. Only a handful of people got cybersick, but none of them were seriously affected. Shows how good VR can be these days! Not a single person came out unimpressed.

Figured you guys would find this interesting, there will probably be more media coverage, most people are only just now getting home from Sundance. We got nearly 200 people to take an exit survey about the experience, and the results I saw were pretty interesting; Only a few people had significant experience with virtual reality systems, but almost every single one of those people was almost instantly spending their time jumping, crouching, lying down, and running back and fourth across the large area we had set up. Got to the point where you could tell they were VR people before they even filled out the survey! :lol:
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Hunger in Los Angeles

Post by pierreye »

Wow! That's a cool system. Hope this will bring in more awareness and pushing the industry for future iteration of VR devices.
Mark2036
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mark2036 »

Wow. Great work Palmertech getting your unit out there for the public to experience.

Reading the article it mentioned something about the importance of sound to the project. Wondering if the set-up had real 3d sound in the simulation too? Been listening to some holophonic recordings and am impressed with the audial immersion you get. Unfortunately haved tried vr since the 90s dactyl nightmare. Looking forward to its re-emergence!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Most impressive. With more events like this, VR might actually make it to the mainstream again.
InvaderZIM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by InvaderZIM »

Agreed,

Very cool way to get many people interested in this sort of technology. Great work on the PR4 Palmer, you keep improving on it's features faster than we can keep up with it!! :lol:

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”