80-120 FOV AR/VR for Consumers in Thin Glasses, in 2-3 Years

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

80-120 FOV AR/VR for Consumers in Thin Glasses, in 2-3 Years

Post by Synexious »

I've posted about Innovega's iOptik lenses before, but they've been shown at CES 2012 and more information is becoming available. The company initially said they wanted to bring the lenses to consumers in ten years, but are now saying they could reach consumers in only 2-3 years, after DARPA-funded military trials. They allow normal vision while focusing the light from microdisplays, which, combined with transparent OLEDs, enable panoramic augmented and virtual reality in the form factor of regular sunglasses, or even eyeglasses. FOV will be at least 80°, potentially 120°. The contact lenses, which will be available in prescription and nonprescription, and will cost not much more than regular contacts, eliminate the need for bulky external optics. We are decades away from self-contained electronic video contacts, which currently have a maximum resolution of 100x100, with some as low as 8x8 or even 1x1, but the passive iOptik lenses are decidedly more near-future. It is quite possible people will be having immersive AR and VR experiences through a pair of lightweight, stylish, transparent, and unassuming glasses in just a few years.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: 80-120 FOV AR/VR for Consumers in Thin Glasses, in 2-3 Y

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, this will be pretty amazing if they can perfect it AND make it available for consumers.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

What I don't understand is why we can't buy regular high magnification contacts now, just for VR.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

This is great for some things, not so much for others. Yes, wide FOV is possible, but you cannot move your eyes to look around. It only works if your eye is pointing straight/nearly straight forward. At least, that is how I understand it. Anyone care to correct me?
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

PalmerTech wrote:This is great for some things, not so much for others. Yes, wide FOV is possible, but you cannot move your eyes to look around. It only works if your eye is pointing straight/nearly straight forward. At least, that is how I understand it. Anyone care to correct me?
I'm not sure, it seems like the intent isn't to directly magnify, but to colimate, in which case you could look around as long as the display was emitting at the observed angle.

As to buying high magnification contacts, outside of you being legally blind wearingbthem, go price them, I did, they are not in anyway cheap.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

This is great for some things, not so much for others. Yes, wide FOV is possible, but you cannot move your eyes to look around. It only works if your eye is pointing straight/nearly straight forward. At least, that is how I understand it. Anyone care to correct me?
Isn't that how most VR systems work however? You end up having to look forwards, and learn to not use your eyes to look around, but your head?
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

You can definitely look around, just like with normal contacts. If you couldn't, they'd never be able to sell their lenses, and the wide FOV would be useless.
adventurer
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by adventurer »

WOW! this contact lens technology absolutely blows me away! simply brilliant... I've never thought wide FOV could be achieved in a smart way like that. Imagine ST 1080 combine with the ls iOptik lenses, It would be AWSOME!
However, I doubt the contact lens would work with people who are near-sighted.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”