Gamerus Cleverus ep3

should I remove my plea for people to upload s-3d related content to torrents?

yess! piracy will destroy the corporations that feed and clothe us
43%
noo!! protect free speech and stuff
57%

Total votes: 14

yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Gamerus Cleverus ep3

Post by yuriythebest »

The third episode of the show on stereoscopic gaming and stereoscopy in general is now here!
in this episode I talk about the programs you need to view stereo3d movies and video's and also where you can get the content itself.

episode 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhg_XGdZLlA

and the gamerus cleverus homepage:

http://yuriythebest.g0dsoft.com/stereo3d.php
Last edited by yuriythebest on Tue May 13, 2008 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

Yuri.
I'm trying really hard to support your effort here since you are taking the time and actually putting something together. The problem is that, now you have stopped bagging out NV, which I feel is good, but you are now openly encouraging piracy. There are a couple of problems with this.
A) How do you expect to get support from software developers when they know you are supporting the illegal sharing of their copyrighted material?
B) You are making your self a target to the authorities by publishing this sort of thing. I wonder how much pirated material you have and could be fined for if your house was raided?
C) Your reputation. It's one thing to have a couple of pirated games because you wanted to see if it is just a 5 minute wow, or if it has long lasting appeal, but another to throw this in the face of the broad community. This is especially important when, in the same clip you are assiciating your self with MTBS3D community as this could have the potential to ruin the reputation of the whole community.

Thanks for making the effort though. Maybe for the next one you can open a thread where you can bounce the ideas you have for the movie off some members here before making it? Please be mindful of the impact that you could have on the entire MTBS3D community when making future videos in which you associate the MTBS3D community.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

thanks! will try to answer everything to the best of my abilities.
A) How do you expect to get support from software developers when they know you are supporting the illegal sharing of their copyrighted material?
I was referring to pirated movies
B) You are making your self a target to the authorities by publishing this sort of thing. I wonder how much pirated material you have and could be fined for if your house was raided?
I am not in the US. I also do not admit to downloading anything myself.
C) Your reputation. It's one thing to have a couple of pirated games because you wanted to see if it is just a 5 minute wow, or if it has long lasting appeal, but another to throw this in the face of the broad community. This is especially important when, in the same clip you are assiciating your self with MTBS3D community as this could have the potential to ruin the reputation of the whole community.
I do not support MTBS distributing pirated material in any way. They should not do it.
Thanks for making the effort though. Maybe for the next one you can open a thread where you can bounce the ideas you have for the movie off some members here before making it? Please be mindful of the impact that you could have on the entire MTBS3D community when making future videos in which you associate the MTBS3D community.
nope. the next episode was already recorded even before the release of this one. I just space out the releases to about 4 days. Later the releases will be less frequent as I run out of content and will release new eps only when something new comes up. I do not work for MTBS and my opinions may or may not match those of the MTBS,
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

yuriythebest1 wrote:thanks! will try to answer everything to the best of my abilities.
I was referring to pirated movies
I am not in the US. I also do not admit to downloading anything myself.
I do not support MTBS distributing pirated material in any way. They should not do it.
nope. the next episode was already recorded even before the release of this one. I just space out the releases to about 4 days. Later the releases will be less frequent as I run out of content and will release new eps only when something new comes up. I do not work for MTBS and my opinions may or may not match those of the MTBS,
I agree with android78, you should be a bit more mindful of what impact your videos could have. Pirated movies, pirated games, it doesn't matter, they're still pirated, and any software developers wouldn't want to support a place where they see pirating of media, of any kind. Also, other countries have laws against piracy as well, and they don't need a confession by you to investigate, I don't think. Your supporting of it would make you suspicious by itself. And, even if you don't support MTBS3D-distributed pirated content, you advocating pirated content could displease the developers from the whole community by association. Whether or not you are an official spokesperson, tying your name to MTBS3D is almost just as bad.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

that's all well and good, however I live in the center of my capital, and if I go outside and walk 5 mins to the nearest metro station I will see several stalls openly selling the latest bootleg dvd's.

so, I'll do the democratic thing- a poll to see if I should remove that segment about torrents from my video. this of course greatly lowers my view of the MTBS community, but I love stereo3d so this is necessary.
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

yuriythebest1 wrote:that's all well and good, however I live in the center of my capital, and if I go outside and walk 5 mins to the nearest metro station I will see several stalls openly selling the latest bootleg dvd's.

so, I'll do the democratic thing- a poll to see if I should remove that segment about torrents from my video. this of course greatly lowers my view of the MTBS community, but I love stereo3d so this is necessary.
How does this lower the your of the MTBS3D community? The whole purpose of this site is to spread awareness of stereoscopic 3D to both developers and consumers. However, if new members or potential supporting developers were to see the advocation of piracy, I'm sure that would dismay quite a few of the potential supporters, which is against what we are trying to achieve. We are just trying to make sure our efforts are not in vain, and that your enthusiasm for S3D (which I do like, don't get me wrong) does not hurt more than it helps.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Sabre2552 wrote:
yuriythebest1 wrote:that's all well and good, however I live in the center of my capital, and if I go outside and walk 5 mins to the nearest metro station I will see several stalls openly selling the latest bootleg dvd's.

How does this lower the your of the MTBS3D community? The whole purpose of this site is to spread awareness of stereoscopic 3D to both developers and consumers. However, if new members or potential supporting developers were to see the advocation of piracy, I'm sure that would dismay quite a few of the potential supporters, which is against what we are trying to achieve. We are just trying to make sure our efforts are not in vain, and that your enthusiasm for S3D (which I do like, don't get me wrong) does not hurt more than it helps.
I'm a very moral person, and that is why this decision will not come lightly for me.

piracy= improvement of humanity and definitely the future. copyright laws are an obsolete concept and the only way to enforce them is by selective punishment. I pity those that do not understand this. This has been paralleled in the past many times, including when the church allowed the bible to be owned only by priests and clergy, and severely punished those that had a copy so that they could justify any atrocities they committed as being ok'd by god. And what happened when the printing press gained popularity- the renaissance.

I never signed up to promote s-3d, just to express my views on it.
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

What about changing it to an advocacy to upload more 'free' content? Stuff that is self made e.g.? There is some very nice 3D stuff out there, but it's realy hard to find - and it lacks quality.

But can't torrent be used as a kind of 'Server' or market for free stuff?

Fortunatly there is a better solution: Upload your videos to the galery. I think there is about 250GB of space on the server. That's a LOT of S3d movies and pictures :D
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys,

I saw Yuri's video and I don't think he came across as being professionally associated with MTBS or that he represents the MTBS community.

However, Yuri:

1. It's good to see you excited about this stuff. If everyone was equally excited, our industry would be further ahead because people would want to know what put the firecracker under your bum to do all this. So that's good.

2. Call it personal taste, but the swearing doesn't work. I've always believed that people who swear for shock value do so because they are missing substance in their message. You have a lot to talk about, and swearing just takes away from what you are trying to do. I think you are very talented and have a lot of potential, and if you like, I used to work in television and radio and I'd be happy to share some ideas in private to help you along.

3. I have to agree with our fellow members. I know you aren't representing MTBS, and maybe you think that because you live in a specific part of the world you don't have to obey the same laws. Encouraging viral piracy undermines your work. Without credibility, your message will fall on deaf ears. Instead of paying attention to S-3D, people will say "is this guy encouraging piracy? Is this guy on crack?!?" S-3D will be the last thing on their mind. You want something MTBS members can be proud to forward around, don't you?

Regards,
Neil
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

yuriythebest1 wrote:
Sabre2552 wrote:

I'm a very moral person, and that is why this decision will not come lightly for me.

piracy= improvement of humanity and definitely the future. copyright laws are an obsolete concept and the only way to enforce them is by selective punishment. I pity those that do not understand this. This has been paralleled in the past many times, including when the church allowed the bible to be owned only by priests and clergy, and severely punished those that had a copy so that they could justify any atrocities they committed as being ok'd by god. And what happened when the printing press gained popularity- the renaissance.

I never signed up to promote s-3d, just to express my views on it.
I would like to think the free distribution of content would be the future, but that's hard to believe. How would the economy remain stable? The people working on the content would need to get some kind of revenue out of the work they put into the content, otherwise there would be little to no motivation to excel, especially if their lives depended on that cash flow to support their family. I don't see what type of economy could exist without trade, as that is basically what currency is. Trading something for money to trade the money for something else. It's not as crude as, say, a potato for a chicken, but it's still trade. What would be your alternative to a system of currency, as the developers must be rewarded some way for their work that allows them to satisfy other areas of their life.

Software cannot be accurately paralleled with the Bible. Software may not be free, but it is obtainable, and pretty easily for the average consumer. You just have to pay so that the developers are able to be financially stable and continue to advance technology. The Bible, on the other hand, was strictly forbidden from everyday commoners, which did not benefit society in the slightest. The fees for media actually do have a purpose, not to smite the buyer or to steal from them, but to keep technology advancing. Sure, people have come to exploit this by charging outrageous fees, but the idea does what it is supposed to, and mildly effectively. The Bible being exclusive was done mostly out of the corruption of the religious leaders, and had little good intentions in the first place for society.

You might not have signed up to promote use of stereoscopic 3D, but that is the main focus of this community, and although you are allowed to have your own opinions, we are just politely asking you to modify your expression of these opinions so that your ideas benefit both your cause and this community's. You are in no way obligated, but we would be thankful for it.
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

Neil wrote:Hi Guys,

I saw Yuri's video and I don't think he came across as being professionally associated with MTBS or that he represents the MTBS community.
Well, it all depends on the person viewing. There are some uninformed people that could very well think that since he encourages piracy, the community might also. Maybe not the majority, but a fraction might. In the effort to get as many people interested in S3D as possible, every person counts, and can make a difference between the establishment of S3D in the general consumer market or the failure of such.

Also, I think it might just be a good idea not to encourage piracy in the first place. Regardless of personal views towards the subject, it is illegal, and as such one can get punished for the distribution or even the advocacy of it. If your opinion differs from that of the current economy, I would much rather a protest or boycott than the breaking of these rules. Maybe this is just me, but I would just like to see peaceful resolutions through words, legal actions, and the cooperation of the many rather than through illegal actions that could negatively affect the lives of those who are mostly doing their jobs to help society grow.

P.S. I am not exactly sure about the regulations for double posting, so if this breaks any rules could someone tell me so that I could merge these two posts?
Neil

Post by Neil »

Sadly, double posting is punishable by death. We need to get the forum rules updated! :wink:

Regards,
Neil
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Personally, I'm a bit mixed on the whole piracy issue. I think that content providers should be compensated for their work, and I will usually make an effort to support the companies or studios that I like (whether that be buying tracks on iTunes or games on Steam, etc.). But I also don't agree with all this corporate DRM business. I can understand if some kid in a third world country downloads some movies because he can't afford them or whatever. I wouldn't advocate sending those people to jail. So its a tough subject.

One plus to having more S3D content on Torrent sites (it could be free, public-domain material) is that it would get people interested in 3d. They would download it, try to figure out why it didn't work. Read some comment about how you need 3d glasses and maybe they would buy them or get into stereo 3d. Lets be serious here, if someone somehow released a bootleg of Beowulf in full 3d don't try to tell me you all wouldn't download it!!!

One thing I am sure about is that you should be able to speak your mind about any topic on the internet (especially on something like YouTube). If you want to promote piracy, go ahead, I'm not going to stop you. Thats called free speech. We don't have to agree, but you have that right. Its your show dude.
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

cybereality wrote:Personally, I'm a bit mixed on the whole piracy issue. I think that content providers should be compensated for their work, and I will usually make an effort to support the companies or studios that I like (whether that be buying tracks on iTunes or games on Steam, etc.). But I also don't agree with all this corporate DRM business. I can understand if some kid in a third world country downloads some movies because he can't afford them or whatever. I wouldn't advocate sending those people to jail. So its a tough subject.

One plus to having more S3D content on Torrent sites (it could be free, public-domain material) is that it would get people interested in 3d. They would download it, try to figure out why it didn't work. Read some comment about how you need 3d glasses and maybe they would buy them or get into stereo 3d. Lets be serious here, if someone somehow released a bootleg of Beowulf in full 3d don't try to tell me you all wouldn't download it!!!

One thing I am sure about is that you should be able to speak your mind about any topic on the internet (especially on something like YouTube). If you want to promote piracy, go ahead, I'm not going to stop you. Thats called free speech. We don't have to agree, but you have that right. Its your show dude.
Yeah, I don't really support the downloading of commercial games or movies when you have the ability to go to a store or download them off the internet for a fee; this is what I mainly dislike about piracy. Regardless of the greed of the entertainment industry, if a game is made that I thoroughly enjoy, I think I should show my support by paying for it. If the game is unlicensed in an area, however, I think then it is more acceptable to illegally download it. It's still not "right", but it's more understandable.

Ideally, however, I think we should strive for a society in which media is easier to download and more affordable. The transition to downloadable retail games is a start, but in order to reduce piracy the publishers must overcome their greed and allow their games to be sold at realistic prices, where the amount earned is not exponentially greater than the amount and the value of the time spent working on the game. The ironic thing is that there would most certainly be less piracy if all the media was more affordable, and profits might actually increase from the higher amounts of sales.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

I don't support Piracy naturally,
But, I don't like to take away free speech.

But, due to legal reasons Yuriy, it makes companies/organizations such as MTBS, or any other company impossible to support the video, because just SUPPORTING piracy is usually against pretty much any web hosts Terms Of Service, Now, you not posting illegal content, saying to pirate is on the borderline, and unfortunately even if this IS a privately owned forum, that does not mean that laws don't apply. Meaning, anything illegal posted here, is technically MTBS property, so if there is anything illegal, Neil is at fault.

I think this is why this may be a controversial subject, not necessarily that people support/don't support it, but rather if people support it being posted that you support it.
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

cybereality wrote:Personally, I'm a bit mixed on the whole piracy issue. I think that content providers should be compensated for their work, and I will usually make an effort to support the companies or studios that I like (whether that be buying tracks on iTunes or games on Steam, etc.). But I also don't agree with all this corporate DRM business. I can understand if some kid in a third world country downloads some movies because he can't afford them or whatever. I wouldn't advocate sending those people to jail. So its a tough subject.

I must disagree about the free speech allowing promotion of anything. I'm sure that all reasonable people would agree that promoting pedofilia through something like youtube would not be considered acceptable! The problem is that, if you allow one type of illegal activity that some feel as socially acceptable to be promoted (such as piracy), then where do you stop? How about speeding in your car (some see as ok even though it increases the risk of killing others greatly)? How about selling drugs (ok because it only harms the person who buys it)? Selling drugs to school kids then, not that much different? Or go one step further, snaching someones handbag (it's ok, they probably only have a couple of hundred dollars and the inconvenience of cancelling and re-ordering their cards)?

On the other hand, I do agree that media and games are over-priced, but the way to combat that is to wait for 6 months to get it and they are quite reasonable (even in Australia where everything seems to cost double it does in the US). You may not be on the 'cutting edge' but at least you are contributing to the creation of what you are using and in a legal way.

BTW, I'd have had no problem if the video was encouraging people to share media through the torrent sites. My problem is saying that Piracy is good!
The concern I have regarding the association with MTBS3D is that, by maintaining a direct link from the thread to the video, it is as good as having put that information in the thread. There was recently a thread in which some suggestion of decompiling a driver to make it work for other solutions caused it to be locked (because this may be violating the copyright of the material which is a grey area), and later deleted. This, I feel, is worse as it is directly telling people to violate copyright laws!
Dyssident
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Dyssident »

MTBS should wipe their hands clean of this. Agree with it or not, the site should not be associating itself with the promotion of any illegal activities.
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

Dyssident wrote:MTBS should wipe their hands clean of this. Agree with it or not, the site should not be associating itself with the promotion of any illegal activities.
I don't think it has. One guy posting a link to a youtube video that happens to mention mtbs3d being cool, then a bunch of wierd funny stuff, and then mentioning he wants people to pirate videos. Big deal. I don't associate mtbs3d with pirating at all from that. Just one guy having his idea of fun and expressing his opinions.

The swearing doesn't bug me. That is personal preference.

I encourage anyone to create their own show that thinks they can do it better. It's Yuri's show, he can do whatever he wants. It's Neil's site, he can choose to leave it or nuke it. Neil stated his opinion, and to any newbies reading the forums that comes across the video, they would see what mtbs3d's stance is on it and that is the end of it.

The show is not going to shake up the 3d world in my opinion, but it is fun to watch none the less.
Sjonnie
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sjonnie »

Just in time, now you can go on telling people to put stuff on the web :P (6 vs. 5)

Although, you could better support "pirating" in a more legal way, like via usenet or so :P

But android78 is right: downloading is to find out if you want to buy something, not to safe you some money.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

In regards to "piracy".

I dont want to give any big statements..this is certainly not the place to debate whether the MPAA or RIAA is right to punish kids for sharing content.

To stay on topic:

There is only a VERY, VERY limited number of 3D movies out..and after some search i found a VERY cheap place on ebay which charged barely $4.95 - $7.95 for the known IMAX movies, plus very low *international* shipping:

http://stores.ebay.com/Ultimate3DHeaven

(I am NOT related to them. I am just posting this since they sell those movies really, really cheap while others want way more. Why should i pay EU20 when i get it for $7 elsewehere? I bought a bunch of movies and i got them in the mail from the states in a few days.)

G.

Add: In regards to the piracy issue..i already had some very ridiculous encounters after i uploaded very bad quality, stamp-sized "Youtube" video-clips on youtube. We're not even dealing with 1:1 digital copies here, but Youtube uploads. In this case of some classic 90s techno videos.
I got complaints by the performer's PR manager about copyright violations .)
It's my personal opinion that those managers seem to have too much time on their hands...and in my personal opinion the presentation of some old-school videos on youtube would benefit them WAY MORE in tems of sales and generating interest again in people buying their CDs than actually forbidding the sharing of their "content" and going after the kids.
So i deleted the videos again.

Another group i uploaded videos on youtube i asked for permission, and they seem to be fine with it and ever since i have those clips on youtube.
The quality is so bad and the images so tiny...that every REAL interested person would certainly go out and BUY their DVDs or CDs...and certainly not take the youtube clips as a 1:1 replacement instead of buying their material.

Its a different story now when companies go after distributors of 1:1 copies, but just with the example of my youtube uploads it shows that SOME companies are (IMHO) way off with their "efforts" fighting piracy....if i were a performer/music group/director i would be very happy seeing my material on youtube.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

flexy wrote:Its a different story now when companies go after distributors of 1:1 copies, but just with the example of my youtube uploads it shows that SOME companies are (IMHO) way off with their "efforts" fighting piracy....if i were a performer/music group/director i would be very happy seeing my material on youtube.
If you can't beat em, join em! Look at how all the tv stations now just give their shows out for free in HD on the web. Its the best way to fight piracy. I mean, who is going to bother with some torrent (that might take forever and stall at 99%) when you can just watch for free, right now, and be totally legal. It works.

Also, nice find on that ebay seller. They've got a 30-DVD lot, with 6 shutter pairs of glasses for $200. What a crazy offer, I might just bite.
flexy
Cross Eyed!

Post by flexy »

cybereality wrote:
flexy wrote:Its a different story now when companies go after distributors of 1:1 copies, but just with the example of my youtube uploads it shows that SOME companies are (IMHO) way off with their "efforts" fighting piracy....if i were a performer/music group/director i would be very happy seeing my material on youtube.
If you can't beat em, join em! Look at how all the tv stations now just give their shows out for free in HD on the web. Its the best way to fight piracy. I mean, who is going to bother with some torrent (that might take forever and stall at 99%) when you can just watch for free, right now, and be totally legal. It works.

Also, nice find on that ebay seller. They've got a 30-DVD lot, with 6 shutter pairs of glasses for $200. What a crazy offer, I might just bite.
Indeed a steal...i wouldnt get them cheaper at the fleamarket either :)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote: If you can't beat em, join em! Look at how all the tv stations now just give their shows out for free in HD on the web. Its the best way to fight piracy. I mean, who is going to bother with some torrent (that might take forever and stall at 99%) when you can just watch for free, right now, and be totally legal. It works.
yes but that's only if you're in the US. In the rest of the civilized world if you try to view em you get a "sorry, this video is only for US viewing type of message" or "this video is not available for your region". In any case in my show I never actually used/linked to pirated content, just encouraged piracy in general. Which worked btw hehehe.

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”