Limited Edition Teleglass T4-N HMD

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Limited Edition Teleglass T4-N HMD

Post by Synexious »

I'd never heard of these before. They're from 2007. 640x480, limited to 500 units. A limited run would be a great idea to revive, making very high quality, immersive HMDs for $1200-$3000 (perhaps using three displays for eye, for surround) to sell to VR enthusiasts, who would commit to buy, maybe on Kickstarter, eliminating risk. This would also generate publicity for possible mass production.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Limited Edition Teleglass T4-N HMD

Post by cybereality »

In this market, it would almost have to be a limited run. Maybe Sony has had the most success, but I still wonder how many they made really.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Limited Edition Teleglass T4-N HMD

Post by PalmerTech »

The thing to keep in mind is that Scalar Corporation (The company behind the Teleglass line) had already sunk a ton of time and money into other HMD designs. The T4-N was just a repacking of their professional modules (Which, remember, they had already developed and produced) into a sunglasses style case, and at $900, I would not be surprised if they were taking a slight loss on each unit. The reason for the small run was probably to gauge consumer interest, not to actually make money.

The idea of a small run is still good, I am just sharing what I know about Teleglass. :P The thing is, though, if a truly high quality and immersive HMD is going to be made in a small run, then there is nothing stopping the company from pricing it in the $20,000+ range. Even most $25,000+ HMDs are not what could be considered truly immersive!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”