CES HMDs

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Re: CES HMDs

Post by ancjob »

robert135 wrote:
ancjob wrote:
i consider it to be better than sony's [can settle for lesser FOV] so i have not yet pre-ordered sony
glad that u had the chance to get the demo of st1080....

1) was it so comforting that it did not require IPD/focus adj. at all ?

2)did the screens of st1080 have 'wide' viewing angles [H/V] ?

3)was the 4k prototype the same as st1080 in it's form ?

plz reply
1) They have an eye adjustment capability on them. They have to. Different peoples heads are shaped differently. It was easy to use and once done, its done.

2) Not sure I understand the question. It is mounted to your face, so the viewing angle is constant.

3) yes, it was, just about the same.

thanks for the reply

1)so the st1080 is exactly as shown in pics on their site ?

2)where do they have eye-adjust. controls i do not see them in pics on their site ?

3)LCoS have reflective screens so upon looking around the screens - did u observe black spots etc ?
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Review time Palmer!!! :mrgreen:
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
love2scoot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by love2scoot »

cybereality wrote:Yes, but Surround/Eyefinity are not powering all those displays with a single port/wire. Each monitor has its own plug, and is already basically maxing out what can be done with current formats. Even DisplayPort probably will have trouble doing this. For example, look at this demo ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/5420/amds ... mos-at-ces" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ), AMD needed to use 2 DP ports just to power a single 4K 2D monitor. So to do 3D you would need maybe 4 ports. I guess thats possible, but its very proprietary in nature and not really where the industry should be heading.
Actually I don't believe this is true.

First, looking at HDMI (check the wikipedia artice), the 1.3 version of the spec provides sufficient bandwidth (with a clock double to 340 MHz) for 4k resolution and in version 1.4 they list 4K as a supported resolution.

Specifically:
4096x2160/24bitColor/24p requires 5.35Gb/s of bandwidth
4096x2160/36bitColor(DeepColor)/24p requires 8.03Gb/s of bandwidth
both fit within the spec for a single cable (10.2 Gb/s including 8b/10b overhead)

The problem up to this point (from the HDMI perspective) is that silicon was not available that was able to process signals at the full 340MHz rate, but new parts are starting to trickle into the market now. This is actually covered in some of the MTBS interviews on YouTube and further validated by the new Sony BDP-S790 which can upscale content to 4K and requires only (1) HDMI out. That said, even if you kept color to 24bit, a single HDMIv1.4 would not have sufficient bandwidth to tackle 4K@48p which would certainly be the minimum requirement for 3D cinema viewing.

The Display Port standard offers even greater headroom with v1.2 offering a total effective bandwidth of 17.28Gb/s (again check Wikipedia). From a table listed on that page, 3840x2160/30bitColor/60p would require 16.00Gb/s, so I'm going to assume that 4096x2160/24bitColor/60p would be a possibility within the bandwidth offered by this spec.

To be clear, neither standard offers enough bandwidth to offer 4K/24bitColor/120p. Which would be the requirement for 3D gaming at 4K.

Regarding the display in the AMD booth, it was probably using older silicon and therefore required multiple DisplayPort cables at the DsiplayPort 1.0/1.1 data rate to achieve sufficent bandwidth for a 4K@24p signal.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

So HDMI 1.4 can easily support 1080p60 3D. Unfortunately the ST1080 apparently doesn't have the chip for that, and there's also no wireless transmitter that can handle it (for 360 DOF VR).
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

I know this off topic but did any1 see any displays (of any type)/news of hdmi 1.4b? I was hopeful for 2012 however lack of news makes me worry I will be stuck with my display for another year.... That new amd radeon card got me excited unfortunately it looks like its features are premature.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

@love2scoot: It doesn't matter what the standard theoretically supports if there is no real hardware that can handle it.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Palmer, where's the ST1080 review??? I'm jonsing here. LOL
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
love2scoot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by love2scoot »

cybereality wrote:@love2scoot: It doesn't matter what the standard theoretically supports if there is no real hardware that can handle it.
I agree with you. One thing specifically that sets the 7970 (the video card used in the CES booth display) apart from other video cards is this very ability to push 4k through a single HDMI or DisplayPort 1.2 connection. This is one of the big features that AMD is pushing to help differentiate this card from other cards on the market: it fully supports the throughput specified in the standard.

The irony is that the display they had attached to this video card required two cables. :lol:

The good news is that production of the 7970 (as well as the Sony BDP-S790) shows that the faster silicon is finally becoming available in production level volumes, which is good news for us all.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”