New GlovePIE is out.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

New GlovePIE is out.

Post by WiredEarp »

I see a new GlovePIE has been released, v0.45. Vuzix guys will have to see if it works with their gear again! Also, I notice he talks about implementing TrackIR using a new method, so im quite hopeful it will be useable again in certain games without needing to hack them.

http://glovepie.org/glovepie_download.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Re: New GlovePIE is out.

Post by brantlew »

Oh that's great. I'll check it out this evening to see if Vuzix support is back. I hope so.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

It support PS3 controller. I'll check it out if I can take out MotionInJoy driver and interact directly with GlovePIE.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Cool. It doesn't mention Vuzix headsets tho.
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Just read the documentation that it only support PS3 controller through USB cable, no bluetooth connectivity due to non standard bluetooth communication. Good news is it now support Kinect through Microsoft SDK so it would be easier to implement motion gesture.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I'm curious to see what he cooked up for Kinect. The Wiimote support uses a basic set of gesture "macros" which probably works because there's only a limited number of ways a Wiimote can be moved. I assume he has done something similar for the Kinect (right hand swipe, clap, left punch, etc) but the potential number of body gestures is much larger than the Wii so it will be interesting to see what is available and what is not. It would be cool if there was a simple way to define a sequence of motion kernels into an arbitrary gesture, but I think that would be really difficult to implement and a bit beyond the scope of GlovePie.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Vuzix is still not supported in 0.45 :(

Kinect support seems very similar to the raw Kinect API. In other words, it mostly just seems like a bridge between the Kinect function calls and GlovePie variables - which is not necessarily a bad thing. It just means that there is a lot more scripting involved to turn body motions into commands. I'm not going to pretend I'm an expert on GlovePie scripting, but Carl does provide a few sample scripts that show how to turn simple motions into commands - stuff like moving your right arm out to turn right, crouching to crouch, etc..

He also makes mention that GlovePie may not remain free, and if so Kinect will be thrown out because of licensing. So maybe we should think about an open source alternative to GlovePie to include popular hardware that is being left out. I admire the guy and there is a crap-load of hard earned R&D in the product that would be hard to duplicate, but if he is not going to support the community then we might have to support ourselves.

(Unfortunately the OpenPie project looks pretty sad and lonely right now)

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”