ST1080 Preorders Rescheduled for After CES

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

ST1080 Preorders Rescheduled for After CES

Post by Synexious »

Paul Jin wrote: Dear Email Subscriber,

Happy New Year.

We've been working around the clock to prepare for the 2012 Consumer Electronics Show and for product shipment.

We are looking forward to having visitors try out the ST1080 at our CES booth. We had a lot of great suggestions from people who submitted their ideas on the RSVP page for what we should show at CES, so it will be a great time at the booth. We will be showing the ST1080 in its various connectivity configuration including game consoles (Xbox, PS3), PC/laptops, smartphones (iPhone 4S), tablet (iPad 2), and Blu-ray players (2D and 3D content).

Our plan was to start taking pre-orders for the ST1080 in December. However, due to on-going supplier delays around the holidays, we were not able to get demo units into the hands of technology reviewers in December. This means that there are no third-party reviews to help you make your purchase decision. With the 2012 CES in about a week, we've decided to postpone taking orders until after the CES when there will be plenty of reviews. This gives you more information upon which to make your purchase decision and it will provide us with much-needed time to strengthen our inventory position.

We feel that postponing the start of pre-orders is preferrable to taking your pre-orders and delaying the shipment. When we are ready to take your orders, we want you to be confident that your product will arrive within a reasonable amount of time.

So, with our focus on the CES, we are boxing up our booth equipment and preparing for the start of what we hope is an amazing journey for us and, more importantly, an amazing visual journey for you.

Sincerely,

Paul Jin
CEO, SiliconMicroDisplay
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: ST1080 Preorders Rescheduled for After CES

Post by cybereality »

Yep, figures.
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

It certainly is a polite gesture to address this concern, given that Sony diverted a large portion of pre-orders to the despondent monolith of customer service. It is a bit too early to determine whether there will even be cause for concern. I hope the ST1080 at CES doesn't turn out to be a raw prototype with fluctuating operability.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Aeroflux wrote:It certainly is a polite gesture to address this concern, given that Sony diverted a large portion of pre-orders to the despondent monolith of customer service. It is a bit too early to determine whether there will even be cause for concern. I hope the ST1080 at CES doesn't turn out to be a raw prototype with fluctuating operability.

i hope as well
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

crickets.....

I haven't heard anything about this from CES. Did these guys have any presence (booth or private demos) or news at CES 2012?
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Booth 45004 at the Hilton: http://ces12.mapyourshow.com/5_0/exhibi ... 1511DFE3C0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

On Tracking Reality, a site I've never heard of, someone who's tried the ST1080 is mentioned, and February is stated as the release date. This seems unlikely, since that's two weeks away and preorders still haven't begun.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Aphradonis wrote:On Tracking Reality, a site I've never heard of, someone who's tried the ST1080 is mentioned, and February is stated as the release date. This seems unlikely, since that's two weeks away and preorders still haven't begun.
the review says "The native resolution of 1920 x 1080 is fantastic but the LCoS Displays are not as bright and color-instense as the OLEDs of the Emagin (and probably the Sony HMZ-T1) for instance."

a misconception - z800 does not have good colors in fact it blocks out full color unless you can manually map color settings using the lab tool which i never bother to waste time with!

someone who has both headplay and z800 can verify that !

regd.sony i cannot say as i do not have it....

but i am from headplay legacy who likes LCoS despite it's reflectivity issues - still i can safely say that LCoS can render full color compared with OLEDs hence the reason i shied away from buying HMZ...[already have bad experiance with z800 on simlar technology]

the guys is comparing with z800 which are history....knowing st1080 to be for usd$799 who 'd pay usd$1000+ for a crap like z800 unless the person is of money and has mental illness as well!

just waiting to pre-order this !

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”