Lumus HD HMD - see through AR - another HMD announced....

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Lumus HD HMD - see through AR - another HMD announced....

Post by ancjob »

check this out : http://techcrunch.com/2011/12/13/heads- ... o-glasses/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

----------------------
They’re basically offering a pair of light, wearable glasses that will show HD video in front of your eyes and even allow you to interact with the world via augmented reality.

Basically, Lumus has embedded a pair of light pumps into the earpieces that send and refract light down the lens. This moves the electronics away from the eyes, offering a lighter and more stream-lined experience. The lenses are completely transparent (and can be tuned for folks with vision problems) and when enabled the glasses display a crystal clear, 87-inch screen about ten feet away from you. The displays themselves are 1280 x 720 pixels and Lumus has created iPhone-compatible adapters that can display HD video right through the pumps and into the lenses.

The display is stunning. Because each eye display works independently, you can view 3D video in 720p (1080p is on its way) and the clarity is amazing. When you turn them off, the picture disappears completely, leaving perfectly clear lenses
----------------------

what i beleive is a prototype....

if sony starts to sell their OLED panels commercially - there will be everyone manufacturing the goggles....

although my interest in video glasses has dwindled but AR is interesting.....let's wait and watch
interesting toys - being a gadget-oholic....i still love these devices.....
Last edited by ancjob on Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Lumus HD HMD - see through - another HMD announced....

Post by STRZ »

I see no need for this yuppie iphone eye wear. Isn't it enough to be infront of a screen beeing @ home or @ work all the time? I rather want a big VR device without quirks for home use instead of those low contrast time wasting accessories for people without lifes.
Bishop51
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Lumus HD HMD - see through AR - another HMD announced...

Post by Bishop51 »

Its quite a nice design actually and they'll one-up Sony if the resolution is there. I'm a VR enthusiast (like my fully immersive, giant headgear :) ) BUT like it or not, AR is what will very likely bring VR to the masses. And it will be done with semi-transparent, situation-aware devices with AR applications just like this. This will be the gateway experience to deeper VR content and formats.

So, while us true VR-heads might not like the format, I truly hope this takes off because the upside is market saturation and a larger general acceptance of VR.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

STRZ wrote:I see no need for this yuppie iphone eye wear. Isn't it enough to be infront of a screen beeing @ home or @ work all the time? I rather want a big VR device without quirks for home use instead of those low contrast time wasting accessories for people without lifes.
What are you talking about? Transparent displays will enable immersive AR, allowing virtual objects to be placed in 3D space. This is extremely useful.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Looks pretty cool.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Aphradonis wrote:
STRZ wrote:I see no need for this yuppie iphone eye wear. Isn't it enough to be infront of a screen beeing @ home or @ work all the time? I rather want a big VR device without quirks for home use instead of those low contrast time wasting accessories for people without lifes.
What are you talking about? Transparent displays will enable immersive AR, allowing virtual objects to be placed in 3D space. This is extremely useful.
Sorry i meant that i don't need this for me personally. I understand that people who are years in this apreciate everything happening VR wise. Didn't want to offend anybody with my personal opinion just overreactet because i'm waiting for something to suit my needs :lol:
blzd1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blzd1 »

Looks cool. Just wondering a few things. Does it support audio? What price range are they looking at? They don't look too heavy which is good.

If they can eventually make them wireless, I think we have a winner. Perhaps that will be the next step. Could this eventually spell the desmise of ipods and ipads?
blzd1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blzd1 »

Check out their FAQ here:

http://www.lumus-optical.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When can I buy Lumus?

Lumus currently sells its Optical Engine modules to top Tier Consumer Electronic Manufacturers on an OEM basis. We currently do not sell solutions directly to the consumer market. The moment our OEM customers announce availability, we will happily link you to their sites for more details.

Will there be a wireless version, and what about battery life of the device?

Lumus believes that there will definitely be a wireless version of its consumer products. The benchmarks for battery life are already set by first-generation personal displays (“goggles” and "visors") at 2-6 hours of continuous video.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

refer here for more info : http://www.lumus-optical.com/index.php? ... &Itemid=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

that's the design i want - do want AR as well......they have listed as consumer product so i guess the 'd sell at some point in next year....if sony is an all around success.....it's corporates strategies which may change anytime....after all what they want is profits....
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

The tiny projectors on this device seem interesting, with a lot of fiddling and adapting into a bigger one someone could create even a collimated display for a HMD focusing to infinity :woot
blzd1
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blzd1 »

I wouldn't hold your breath on these. Apparently, they have been vaporware, since at least 2007.

http://thefutureofthings.com/articles/5 ... asses.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

FWIW I head rumors that a major manufacturer was looking at these, for possible production.
Having said that if what i've heard is true, they are still evaluating and it'd still be 2 years before you could buy a product.

I just wish they'd target a wider FOV, wave guides like this seem like one of the few technologies that can provide wide FOV in a compact design.
vulkan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vulkan »

Aphradonis wrote:
Agreed. My first VR headset was a VFX-1 back in the 90's. We've not really come far since then compared to other technologies. I think the fundamental reason for this is that HMD VR will never be a tech for the masses.

Augmented reality will be the driver - and the tech will spilloff into the VR market. Yuppies and their iphones are the cash cow we need to get the tech moving.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I think the fundamental reason for this is that HMD VR will never be a tech for the masses. Augmented reality will be the driver - and the tech will spilloff into the VR market. Yuppies and their iphones are the cash cow we need to get the tech moving.
I have to disagree somewhat with that. I see no real reason why HMD VR couldn't (and won't be) a massively popular tech. Once the price and performance limitations (res and FOV) of HMDs are resolved, then I see no reason why a VR console with a killer app game would not be successful at some point. Any time you say things such as 'never' you are really leaving yourself open for a fall.

AR is going to make VR cheaper, but there still needs to be a push for VR itself, to make the truly immersive games of the future.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

why can't sony improvize to have a design like that considering that they have the best 'resource' for research ?

they have they OLED factory all they need is better ergonomics / optics - what holds them back ?

why those semi-helmets...? seems they were either hasty or lazy in working out the best ergonomics / optics design...for sony HMD

even glasstrons were better for ergonomics sake if not for specs.....i really hate that semi-helmet of current sony HMD
Last edited by ancjob on Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Okta

Post by Okta »

I keep hearing that AR will be the breakthrough we have all been waiting for into the mass market. Can anyone explain what the killer applications will be? or even what any useful applications will be that consumers want? I am drawing blanks at the actual usefulness of AR aside from cool idea's but pointless and half assed realisations.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

i like this device as it's better than epson moverio bt-100 now the question when they will have this for consumers...?
Moggle69
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Moggle69 »

Okta wrote:I keep hearing that AR will be the breakthrough we have all been waiting for into the mass market. Can anyone explain what the killer applications will be? or even what any useful applications will be that consumers want? I am drawing blanks at the actual usefulness of AR aside from cool idea's but pointless and half assed realisations.
My imagination in AR tech runs wild. Right now AR is mainly seen through devices such as 3DS, IPads etc. Once it's available mainstream through glasses, AR will be huge. AR will really pickup when you can easily physically interact with the digital images.

Advertising:
-Times Square New York coming to life in AR. Holographic images popping out of signs to grab your attention. Hell.. the whole square can turn into a giant fish aquarium.
-Business cards that have 3D digital models, GPS maps to their location, Videos of their products.

Fashion:
-Imagine walking in a mall like normal, pop on your AR glasses and the whole would changes before your eyes. People start walking around looking like their Avatars on Xbox Live. (a digital graphical Master Chief completely covering a human body fully animated with the movements of the persons actions) etc

Home Design:
-Home builders have a giant green room. You go inside of it, and the home builder starts a AR program of your home you designed. You can walk in the house and physically move the digital window or door over with your hands, stretch the staircase out... etc. Once finished, the computer implements the changes in the blueprint.

TV & PC:
-No need for TV or monitors. You have a digital one before your eyes. Make it any size and any distance.

Transform your home:
-Imagine laying in bed looking up at your ceiling. Changing your plain white ceiling into a digital wonder... Space with comets, an aquarium with fish swimming above you, or a giant television.
-Turn the inside of your home from a jungle theme to a space theme.

Gaming:
-I can only image the possibilities...

Education:
-Limitless....

There will be a point where AR will be used everywhere. If you don't like it, don't where AR glasses. The world will remain the same like it does now. But put the AR glasses on, and the world will transform before your eyes. Looking forward to it.
PSN/XBL/NNID/STEAM: Moggle69
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Okta wrote:I keep hearing that AR will be the breakthrough we have all been waiting for into the mass market. Can anyone explain what the killer applications will be? or even what any useful applications will be that consumers want? I am drawing blanks at the actual usefulness of AR aside from cool idea's but pointless and half assed realisations.
Little kids on the Streets aiming at everybody with their Iphone AR app and AR HMD. And then that what you can observe now just for a further extend, people on their own in public space watching films and doing stuff with their mobile phones rather than interacting/communicating with their environment, or not even notice it. Not really cool...

AR will have success because the designers of this society we're living in want it going that way. They want you isolated as individual, they even think a free internet is a mistake. This determines the success of your mainstream business, if you're insync with that or not.

If you're into politics and observe you understand the big picture.

That's not a future for a society wich i like, i think it's important to seperate what you're doing in closed space and what you're doing beeing on public road, the world outside is rich enough and give ou enough possibilities, not needed to be augmented, in contrary to a limited space behind closed doors.

Personal opinion, lots of philosphy... scnr ;)
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

An aircraft mechanic can visually disassemble a jet engine without actually doing it.

Astronauts can view the entire starscape with navigation overlays and systems status in a pod with no ports.

Miners can use 3D seismic chart overlays to judge safety and effectiveness of support structures in real time.

Paintball, without the paintballs.

Experience the thrill of wingsuit flying ten feet above the ground, in the chasms of mars.

Explore the depths of our ocean in a backyard pool or a jacuzzi.

Explore the moon or mars from the safety of a desert base.

Look up and the sun and study solar flares in real time without going blind.

Fight wars with no casualties.

Visit your family every day in your own living room...or their own living room.

Learn another language in another country...without actually being there.

AR is both the golden chalice and the curse of Virtual Reality. Technology is just the crutch society is using in their pursuit of isolation. It is the negative slant our world has taken as a whole that lies in the center of the movement...or so I believe. I'd rather contemplate the positive wonders it can accomplish though.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

AR is the temporary future of human/computer integration. Of course, eventually it will be direct brain access, but for now its a step towards being online 24/7.

I for one will buy the application that makes the girl I'm sleeping with look like whatever supermodel I desire, that and the 'xray glasses' app that makes people appear naked... ;)
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

"Fight wars with no casualties."

Never happen. They could do that now if they wanted. They could have done it years ago playing chess. Even before that, the leaders could just hit each other with sticks, and not drag the rest of the tribe into it. What is to make the losing party hand over whatever was being fought over? Other than just going and taking it, probably leading to real war...

Of course, wars in future will increasingly happen online as well as offline I suspect. (Hacking power stations, telling planes to crash, that sort of thing)
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

I believe it will eventually happen. Technology will reach a critical saturation in the world to a point where, as you illustrated, fighting wars on the digital realm will be of more value than killing people. Information is power and all that. I doubt it will happen in my lifetime though. Our social evolution is quite erratic...sometimes it looks like parts of society are devolving.

As a trekkie/star wars fan, I put some hope into our civilization evolving past war...looking down from orbit it does seem pretty stupid. Just my opinion. :)
love2scoot
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by love2scoot »

Practically speaking, I'm very much looking forward to a HUD inside my Helmet. I'd like to see speed, directions, etc without ever having to take my eyes off the road.

Face recognition with contact lookup, AR First Person shooters, Integration with Google Goggles using identification of physical objects with content lookup, learning piano with video overlay, and more are just gravy.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

It be awesome if AR goggles could make an Ad-Blocker for real-life, where billboards and signs would be replaced on the fly with something else (or nothing at all).

And, of course, who wouldn't want the 'X-Ray Specs'...
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

STRZ wrote: That's not a future for a society wich i like, i think it's important to seperate what you're doing in closed space and what you're doing beeing on public road, the world outside is rich enough and give ou enough possibilities,
Not for me.
STRZ wrote:not needed to be augmented
Er, yes it does. People have already pointed out a plethora of uses for AR, so I shouldn't need to reiterate. In the future there will be no distinguishing between online and off. What does "scnr" mean?
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Aphradonis wrote: Er, yes it does. People have already pointed out a plethora of uses for AR, so I shouldn't need to reiterate. In the future there will be no distinguishing between online and off. What does "scnr" mean?
Sorry could not resist, nerd language used by people who already can't distinguish between online and off :lol:

Use for AR will be there and propably plenty. But i can't imagine using it myself in my spare time having full immersive VR then.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

STRZ wrote: Sorry could not resist, nerd language used by people who already can't distinguish between online and off :lol:
Geek is the proper term for me, not nerd. Regardless, I can certainly distinguish between being online and offline. I appreciate your intent to make a little joke at my expense, but unfortunately for you, it falls flat - even the most obsessive gamer or VR enthusiast doesn't confuse reality with virtuality. The very idea is absurd. I think you just meant to imply that I spend alot of time online, and in fact I spend almost all my time online, but again, when I do step out into reality, I'm always well aware I am offline.

Also, by many normal people's definitions, simply because you are posting on a technology forum, you are yourself a nerd.
STRZ wrote:Use for AR will be there and propably plenty. But i can't imagine using it myself in my spare time having full immersive VR then.
AR and VR have totally different applications. You don't want AR directions, AR nametags, AR screens, AR creatures and gadgets, the ability to change the skyline, and the colors of your surroundings? Okay, well, I do.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Virtual reality *IS* reality. Everything you experience is part of reality, whether man-made or natural. Ray Kurzweil made a good example in his movie. He said that the telephone is a form of virtual reality, at least in terms of the auditory senses. But you wouldn't make a business deal over the phone, or tell your spouse a loving sentiment, and the go around the next day and say "That wasn't real, that was in virtual reality".
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Aphradonis wrote: Geek is the proper term for me, not nerd. Regardless, I can certainly distinguish between being online and offline. I appreciate your intent to make a little joke at my expense, but unfortunately for you, it falls flat
You're wrong, it was a joke at my own expense mate, i've used "scnr" iniatally didn't i? :geek:
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I like the adblocker idea CyberReality. I think the real 'killer app' for AR originally will however be facial recognition. If you can walk into a business meeting, and have everyones names tagged to them using AR (along with some small details about the person) that would really help business networking etc.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Then lets hope that AR will be used for the good and not as trojan horse for the bad, filtering people out who are not in sync with mainstream opinions, politics or whatsoever by face recognition together with future internet id. That could stop many people from sharing their true opinion about things online because of possible real life consequences, making them totally transparent.

That is what i meant in a previous post, AR becoming a tool to exploit and squeeze money out of citizens due to graeter control of society.
Xensory
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Xensory »

There're a few videos online:

Engadget:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/01/11/lumu ... -hands-on/

SlashGear
http://www.slashgear.com/lumus-dk-32-we ... -12208896/

THe verge has some nice photos and compares it to the Vuzix tech:
"The contrast isn't as high as on the Vuzix prototype, but the colors are much more natural. We wouldn't want to watch a movie on the system, but it seems perfect for an unobtrusive overlay to reality"
http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/10/26971 ... s-hands-on

Of course since neither these are actual products, I'm not sure the comparison means much at this point.
cadcoke5

Post by cadcoke5 »

I suspect AR technology will following a similar road to current stereoscopic display technology.

Stereoscopic displays via LCD shutter glasses have been around for at least two decades. Yet, if I want to use it with my CAD system, I am out of luck. The software to integrate the display, tracker, and software is not there. Perhaps because there isn't a real need for it. Yes, there are a few markets where there it serves an important function, and so solutions are available for that market. But, the fact that they are small markets mean that the costs are very high to use the technology.

Joe Dunfee
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

STRZ wrote:Then lets hope that AR will be used for the good and not as trojan horse for the bad, filtering people out who are not in sync with mainstream opinions, politics or whatsoever by face recognition together with future internet id. That could stop many people from sharing their true opinion about things online because of possible real life consequences, making them totally transparent.

That is what i meant in a previous post, AR becoming a tool to exploit and squeeze money out of citizens due to graeter control of society.
What the $817?? People would not need to show their faces to voice their opinions, and they probably wouldn't want to, either, if opposing a totalitarian government. A non-totalitarian government wouldn't get away with such filtering, which is a ridiculous idea, anyway. People will be able to alter their faces, virtually and physically.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Aphradonis wrote: A non-totalitarian government wouldn't get away with such filtering, which is a ridiculous idea, anyway.
They would sell it as security feature to stop the evil terrorists, the people most propably would even aplaude because the can participate themselfes as wannabee sherriffs.

What if not totalitarian is it if they can arrest somebody anywhere in the world and put him to guantanamo without bringing him to court? http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/20 ... -now-what/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think the purpose of social networks is if not data aquisition?

Why do Apple and Nokia get away with providing backdoor tech with their OS? http://www.osnews.com/story/25486" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

why did our governement in germany tried to infect our PC's with their govware and get away with it? http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Bundestrojaner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Why did the antitotalitarian us government institutions has planned to kill your own people for a political advantage in the 60's and got away with it? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sorry for the offtopic, but saying that a government acts correct only because they don't define themselfes as totalitarian is huge nonsense ;)

I'd hoped not getting into political discussions anymore but i couldn't resist this one. The lumus seems to be a cool device, really doesn't deserve political debates here..sorry :roll:
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

I don't think any government defines itself as totalitarian. North Korea calls itself the "Democratic People's Republic of Korea." Obviously the American government, and other democratic governments, increasingly invade the privacy of the citizenry, but I don't think AR is going to help in that aim. If the government started filtering a citizen who is not a terrorist, people would find out about it and demand that it stop. I'm saying only a totalitarian government could get away with that, and in such a government, protesters wouldn't want to show their faces, anyway. But the idea of AR being used to censor people just doesn't make sense to me. How would it work? Someone's face is scanned in a video, and that video is banned from being uploaded? Again, people could use AR to hide their real faces, wear a mask, or just use audio only.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Maybe all that censorship will be possible one day when we have brain jack AR implants etc.
I'd love to release a virus then that would scrub all visuals of me, giving me virtual invisibility :)

For now, I just don't see how AR could stop people being visible. Just take off the AR glasses - problem solved!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just a reminder: there is a strict rule against political discussion on this forum. I believe that was part of the reason Carl Kenner got banned. So watch out.

Though, let me just give my 2 cents. If anything AR will be a tool for the people to protest or otherwise make their message heard. For example, I saw a demonstration from some guys that did an AR project for Occupy Wall Street: where they basically added there own 3D models and graphics onto a live video feed. Some of the stuff they did was make the stock market building into a giant slot machine, superimpose Guy Fawkes masks onto protesters, things like that ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_4PhatI ... c2MQaJreDw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). If anything AR will be a tool for the people. Not to mention hackers that could break into security cameras and erase themselves, change peoples faces, license plate numbers, etc. Its not just a government that can do tricks.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

AR, sure probably reasonable harmless. But like I said elsewhere, once we have direct brain interfaces it could get bad.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”