Latest World of Warcraft Patch seems to have ruined S3D mode

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
satchmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Latest World of Warcraft Patch seems to have ruined S3D mode

Post by satchmo »

Hi , This is my first post heRE.

I'm from Australia , have had an interest in S3D for a long time and I own an Emagin Z800.

World of Warcraft, although I'm not big on killing monsters, always had the most spectacular 3D of any game I tried and I've really enjoyed playing it in S3D. It was utterly spectacular with the Z800 and I just loved exploring that world.

Recently I gave it a break for 3 months. Going back into it again, I had to download a huge patch like 100mb as an `upgrade'. Straight away I saw that the 3D was ruined. All the textures on roads , ground and mountins seem to not respond to convergence adjustment. They stay at about the plane of the screen. Everything else, like grass, trees buildings etc, move radically ( in each eye) as you change coMvergence AS THEY SHOULD , but the ground textures stay more or less fixed in depth and toatally flat. Its nothing to do with the Z800, as I ran it on Anagalypgh stereo and even without red /blue glasses you can see what I mean as you adjust convergence. I noticed in anagalypgh mode that the ground and mountain textures * do not show any blue/red halo as they would normally*

I've played around with every possible setting and nothing makes any differnce. I notice that in this upgrade the ground textures seem to have been upgraded. Going across a snow covered field at midnight , I can see the moonlight glistening on the ice crystals. i think whatever mod they have done has ruined 3d sense for ground / mountain textures.

What can I say , I 'm truly gutted.. and will have no choice but to cancel my WOW subscription. I could never go back to playing it in 2D ..

Could anyone verrify the problem and suggest a possible solution for me ? It makes no differnce if I have screen glow on or off.

Interestingly, if I enter a cave or tunnel where there is no extrenal ground or mountain texture, everything is as normal.

I'm using a single core AMD 64 3800+ with XP SP2 , a 7600GT cartd and 93.71 drivers for card and stereo. It still works flawlessly for other applications.

Thanks in advance !
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I have never play it, but I have read several times about how great it looks in 3D. Maybe the displays settings can be tweaked to disable those effects (shading applied to those objects most probable). I hope there is someone over here who knows the details.
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

You may want to try it with the iZ3D Anaglyph drivers and see if you have the same issue.
satchmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by satchmo »

crim3 wrote: Maybe the displays settings can be tweaked to disable those effects (shading applied to those objects most probable). I hope there is someone over here who knows the details.
Thanks for the tip. I went back to the Nvidea drivers and played with settings.

I now find I can get stereo working again properly by checking the " force HW TNL off" box ( which I didn't have to do before.

The downside is that my S3D framerate has dropped from average 40fps to around 13-15 fps :-(, and I also have some artifcats, like vertical spikes hanging vertically in a blue sky.

I've read mention of these IZ3D drivers. Are they compatable with shutterglass type driver , like the IO glasses setting in the NVidea drivers that I'm using to make the Z800 work ?

I truly hope I can get S3D in WOW working well again ..at least this is a start :)

EDIT: I now see that this Hardware TNL off is something to do with Vertex Shaders. There is no option in WOW to turn vertex shaders on or off. I'd really love to get my framerate back....
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

satchmo wrote: I've read mention of these IZ3D drivers. Are they compatable with shutterglass type driver , like the IO glasses setting in the NVidea drivers that I'm using to make the Z800 work ?
Not at the moment. I meant in Anaglyph Mode. Sorry for the confusion.
satchmo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by satchmo »

Ok thanks.

Can anybody tell me: does the fact that I now have to `force HW Tnl off' mean that this latest WOW patch introduced the use of Vertex Shaders ?
3Dward
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3Dward »

Wow is running flawlessly in 3D mode on zalman screens. can't remember the settings though.

(pay attention to things like gamma too tends to be the last thing i think of when tweaking a game and its although one of the reasons certain games are not working in 3D)

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”