Flexible OLED screens to launch in the consumer market 2012

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Flexible OLED screens to launch in the consumer market 2012

Post by PalmerTech »

http://www.pcworld.com/article/242770/s ... _year.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Very, very interesting.
Bishop51
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Flexible OLED screens to launch in the consumer market 2

Post by Bishop51 »

Aside from the obvious VR applications, the day I can get the 3 monitors off my desk and replace them with a single, bezel-free, smooth, beautiful curve is the day I do a major happy dance!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Curved displays would also be great for high FOV HMDs. This is going to be good.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Yay! Finally...this was pretty much the first example of OLED technology I saw in motion...seven years ago.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFDyWGstZ-g[/youtube]
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Bishop51 wrote:Aside from the obvious VR applications, the day I can get the 3 monitors off my desk and replace them with a single, bezel-free, smooth, beautiful curve is the day I do a major happy dance!
Have you considered fresnels?
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

@Aphradonis
Can you suggest a place to order large decent quality Fresnel lenses online suitable for a 22" monitor? I'd really like to try it out but I couldn't find any big enough
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
Bishop51

Post by Bishop51 »

I've had a 3 fresnel setup going a few times in the past. Its only really appropriate for gaming and it can be quite challenging to calculate the right distances/angles for maximum effect. You also need some carpentry skills to build a decent housing. Foamcore or display board works in a pinch but it won't last with regular use.

All of that said, I had a generally good experience with frensel's. The expanded field of view and the rough collimated depth effect can work really well. Its a bit like a caveman's VR system but it does the job ok ;)

http://www.3dlens.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at one time sold very high resolution gaming grade lenses (called the f550). Not sure if they still stock those but delivery and service has always been good.
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

Thanks for that Bishop51, I checked their site but it seems they no longer sell that lens, I emailed them about it hopefully they can still get them
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

The F550 is only big enough for 19" monitors. MaxiAids sells bigger ones. They're sold as TV magnifiers, and aren't as high resolution as the monitor lenses, but they could work.

Here's a 19" monitor fresnel. That's as big as they come.

Let me know if you try fresnels. I thought about trying them, but I decided to get an HMZ instead. Bishop, fresnels can't be used on the desktop? I hoped that they could be. I hope to be able to construct a custom 3D Vision Surround HMD eventually.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”