Asus VG278H Nvidia 3D Vision 2.

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Asus VG278H Nvidia 3D Vision 2.

Post by slipstream »

http://www.asus.com/Display/LCD_Monitor ... /#overview" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want one. No I want 3.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Asus VG278H Nvidia 3D Vision 2.

Post by cybereality »

Yeah. That kit looks boss.
IM0001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IM0001 »

I have one coming this week. I'll let you know how it is. ;)

I also have an LG 2342P to compare it too.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

IM0001 wrote:I have one coming this week. I'll let you know how it is. ;)

I also have an LG 2342P to compare it too.
Awesome man! Be sure to come back and let us know how it is.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I'm going to be that guy now who says:

if only it was 1920x1200 / 16:10.
IM0001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IM0001 »

WiredEarp wrote:I'm going to be that guy now who says:

if only it was 1920x1200 / 16:10.
When it was announced at the Geforce Lan 6, (Where I won it) That was the first thing that popped into my head.

Still. 120Hz, 1080P, 3D 2, 27" :drool: I ain't going to complain. :D
IM0001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IM0001 »

Alright. It is in, setup, and OMG! :woot

First off, this thing is HUGE! Coming from a 21" then a 23" this thing is massive at 27"s.

120Hz... @ 120FPS = WTF! Where have you been all my life?!?!?

The quality of the color/lights/darks is much better than the LG. Not quite as warm and accurate as my old 21" Gateway, but still quite good.

3D. No Contest this thing blows the LG out of the water. Passive while being cheaper and still a good entry way into 3D, has nothing on these shudder glasses. Full 1080P for each eye, little to no ghosting, the LightBoost for Nvidia 3D Vision 2 works and the scene only slightly dips in darkness when 3D is activated. Like advertised I can still look around and see just fine around me while in 3D mode. The new Glasses are comfortable as well. Still tinkering with 3D Vision 2 but overall, coming from the TriDef (LG) Drivers, World of Tanks, and TF2 look almost flawless. The smoothness in TF2 is questionable due to the limit of 60FPS (120/2) so I am wondering if that could be due to the frame render ahead or something since I know I can render past that, but the game isn't moving 60FPS smooth soo to speak. WoT Doesn't even get close to 60fps so it is always reasonably smooth if a little low on the FPS at times. Also tried the display with my PS3 and ran through my 3D games and the new Pirates movie in 3D. Wipeout HD looks fantastic on this monitor. The Sheer size of the screen makes the game much more immersive and the 3D does look good. Stardust HD looks downright fantastic! On the LG it looked good but the passive interlace really cut into what would have been an otherwise clean picture, the shudder glasses really show the clarity of the 3D with this game. GT5 needed a little tweaking since I could run different 3D settings with the LG vs the ASUS. The LG actually looked better in 3D Partially due to the way the game is down to 720P in 3D, so on a 23" it looked a little better than 720P on a 27" looks. The 3D effect when adjusted though looks cleaner and clearer on the ASUS of course and the overall scene is bright and clear. Can't wait to get some racing in with this beast.

Finally 3D Movies. The LG did good and being passive, it was easy to get a few extra glasses. (Just go see a 3D movie and keep the glasses ;) but since I only have 1 of these 3D 2 glasses, I can't get my hands on another pair just yet anywhere online. May contact the ones who sent us the monitors and see if they can sell a 2nd pair)
The ASUS was downright incredible. No Ghosting, smooth video, awesome depth, the new Pirates movie was made with 3D in mind.

Well what else would you guys like to know? I have a few pics of my desk, before with the LG, and after now with the ASUS I'll post soon.

My main problem now is 3D capable hardware. I originally had a single 5870 and just swapped it out for the GTX560Ti that came in the mini pc I won in a F1 2011 contest at the Lan. Fantastic little card that = the 5870's performance, but I think I will need a little more horsepower for 3D in most other games. Debating on a 2nd 560Ti, but 2 things keep me from fully endorsing this idea. 1. My main rig is a X48 chipset. While perfectly SLI capable hardware wise, I would have to resort to a little code trick (HyperSLI) to get it to work. It may work fine, but I don't know if I really want to mess with it on such a sensitive driver level. (Reinstalls are a PITA) 2. The mini PC is very mini, so my 5870 will not fit inside the little bugger, and being a very capable Zotac ITX board with a I3 2100, 4G ram, and with the 560Ti Was almost on par with my Q9550 with the 5870, I feel I should keep the 560 inside the thing rather then leave it without and using the onboard 2000HD Graphics. :/

Sooo I did just spot a PNY GTX 580 at Frys for $409 after $30 MIR, I may just pull the trigger on that beast to tide me over till the next gen cards arrive. We shall see.

Pics. Monitors in the center with the Gateway 21" to the left. Don't mind the other nicnacks.
LG

Asus

Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

It would be nice if you could test the ghosting using this test image from DDD :
http://www.tridef.com/support/images/co ... 080-lr.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You just need to take a photo through each eye so we can see how much ghosting there is with this display. Unfortunately I didn't find any such test on any review site, even DigitalVersus didn't care to do it this time in their review.
IM0001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IM0001 »

Rgr. Will do this when I get home.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Just in case it isn't obvious, you have to rename that image to *.PNS and then you can open it with the Nvidia 3D Vision Photo Viewer.

Also, thanks for the quick review. Sounds like a really nice kit.
IM0001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IM0001 »

Fredz wrote:It would be nice if you could test the ghosting using this test image from DDD :
http://www.tridef.com/support/images/co ... 080-lr.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You just need to take a photo through each eye so we can see how much ghosting there is with this display. Unfortunately I didn't find any such test on any review site, even DigitalVersus didn't care to do it this time in their review.
Took these with my HTC Arrive so shaky blurry pics. What exactly should Perfection look like? And what would the best room conditions be since I took these with a light and 2nd monitor on next to the 3D display?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Thanks for the pictures ! :)

Perfection would be to have the exact same result as in the input image, ie. no circles on the left in the R image and no circles on the right in the L image. As you said the camera was shaking a bit so it's hard to know if central ghosting (L leaking in the center R, R leaking in the center L) is present or not. Also you were not exactly in the middle of the screen so it may have given worse results since LCD monitors are particulary sensible to viewing angles.

The best way to do this would be with a "real" camera and to have it fixed somehow and then use the timer to take the pictures, but it's quite annoying to do it like this. It still gives a good idea of the ghosting and looks quite equivalent to most 3D LCD monitors from 2010 or 2011, except for the Planar SA2311W and the LG W2363D which are still a lot better than all the others.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Looks OK to me. Not perfect by any means, but at least on par with most of the other stuff that has been posted.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

It must truley be best thing

But not to be compared with LG

reason:
1) its 27" against 23"
2) its active 3d against passive 3d

active and passive both have their + and - but
here it would much better if we compare

Viewsonic V3D231 Vs LG D2342P
&
Samsung S27A950D Vs ASUS VG278H

I will be egar to see comparison when
120Hz passive monitor will be available
and then to compared with 120Hz active monitor

Ps. Not Fan of LG but admire Passive Tech over Active
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Yeah, I'd really love for someone to bring out a 120Hz passive set. That would rock!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Well, the larger passive Vizio sets are 120hz. Too big for desktop use, though.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

PalmerTech wrote:Well, the larger passive Vizio sets are 120hz. Too big for desktop use, though.
I don't think they are real 120Hz. They use motion-interpolation, don't they? Meaning you could not set Windows to 1080P@120Hz.
fiksal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fiksal »

hey guys
have anyone played with this monitor for awhile? i am considering buying it, but there is a lot of negative reviews about its strange backlight and malfunctioning 3d vision hub thingy. anyone noticed anything?
fiksal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fiksal »

well... I guess I'll find out myself in 3 days
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hope you get a good unit. Aside from the defects, I think this monitor is supposed to be pretty good.
fiksal
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by fiksal »

thanks, I'll let you guys know, if you are interested or missing a mini review.
finally have a rig to run new games and 3D. (havent visited this forum since I first installed eDimensional)

Return to “3D Monitors”