Anyone Want to Buy a 27" 1080p Acer HN274H?

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Anyone Want to Buy a 27" 1080p Acer HN274H?

Post by Synexious »

I bought an HN274H several months ago because I was tired of waiting for 3D. I discovered afterward my video card does not support S3D, and I only got very limited use of the monitor for 3D gaming with my two 3D PS3 games, Killzone 3 and WipeoutHD Fury. I had heard about the screen darkening problem but didn't think it would be a big deal. I started Wipeout and was amazed by how much brighter the screen was than my 24" AL2216W 2D monitor (which is currently in portrait next to my 274 - going from screen to screen, the difference in brightness is dramatic). I scoffed to myself at how "ridiculous" all the detractors criticizing the darkness were. The monitor wasn't darker, it was brighter! The only difference I noticed with the glasses on was a very slight change in screen tint. I was prepared to be amazed. Then I started the race and was presented by a double image.

My glasses were not on! I turned them on and the screen immediately darkened dramatically. I was dismayed. Wow, this is terrible, I thought. The 3D effect was amazing, especially in Killzone 3 (though because I was playing only on a console, the graphical quality was seriously degraded - the game seemed to reach almost PS2 levels of jaggy shimmer), but the darkened image seriously detracted from my immersion. I went back to 2D for the brightness, but I quickly had to return to 3D - the depth afforded is just that good. The darkened image, as well as the ghosting (which I didn't notice much in KZ3, but was hugely apparent in Wipeout) and the degraded graphics on console all certainly detracted from the experience, but not enough for me to want to stop playing in 3D. Having depth after a lifetime of gaming in flatness was and is absolutely amazing to me.

However, with 3D Vision 2 and the accompanying new LightBoost monitors on the way, I want to sell my old monitor (glasses included, of course). If anyone is interested, let me know. Personally, I am getting an HMZ-T1, which will offer the best quality S3D experience on the market, due to the discrete OLED screens (superior color and blacks, no ghosting, and no darkening), so I may not even need a 3D monitor at all. Perhaps I'll get a nice 30" 2560x1600 2D IPS panel instead.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Anyone Want to Buy a 27" 1080p Acer HN274H?

Post by cybereality »

Well I admit my first impression of that monitor (and 3D Vision as a whole) was similar. That it was too dark, and ghosting was an issue. After more careful examination, I found the monitor to be quite impressive and a very good option. I understand the new 3D Vision glasses are coming soon, but it remains to be seen how much better they will actually be. Nvidia claims twice as bright, and if that's the case then its probably worth investing in this new technology. The ghosting does not bother me too much, maybe I'm just used to it, but the loss of brightness is a big deal. So I can totally understand wanting to upgrade. However the HN274H is still a great monitor, and I'm sure whoever buys it will be happy.
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

m
cybereality wrote:Well I admit my first impression of that monitor (and 3D Vision as a whole) was similar. That it was too dark, and ghosting was an issue. After more careful examination, I found the monitor to be quite impressive and a very good option. I understand the new 3D Vision glasses are coming soon, but it remains to be seen how much better they will actually be. Nvidia claims twice as bright, and if that's the case then its probably worth investing in this new technology. The ghosting does not bother me too much, maybe I'm just used to it, but the loss of brightness is a big deal. So I can totally understand wanting to upgrade. However the HN274H is still a great monitor, and I'm sure whoever buys it will be happy.
I agree, I love mine but I have to say the Sony HMZ-T1 is calling me aswell but for side-by-side on my Virgin 3D cable over the air only.
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

What kind of price? Any chance you would trade for a custom HMD? :P

Return to “3D Monitors”