Never owned an Nvidia card yet. Questions

Talk about NVIDIA GPUs and driver performance here.
wolffkran
One Eyed Hopeful

Never owned an Nvidia card yet. Questions

Post by wolffkran »

In the last year I built my first PC, at the time I decided to purchase dual ATI HD6850 cards.

I'm not happy that the 3rd party software for 3D gaming for these cards doesn't support Crossfire.

My question is, How are the Nvidia users finding the 3D support through 3D vision? Does it support lots of games in 3D and also, I've been reading Nvidia's site and they do not list Sony 3DTVs as being supported displays. Is anyone out there using a Sony 3DTV with an Nvidia card? If so, does it work well?
And lastly, I only use a single monitor at 1080x1920, could anyone recommend a card that will support 3D and let me play everything out there today with max settings? I'm thinking the GTX580 would be a good choice, but any input would be awesome.

Thanks
PC: I72600k, Asus P8P67Pro, 16GB Corsair Vengence Ram, 120GB Vertex 2 SSD, 120GB Agility 3 SSD, 2x GTX 570 cards in SLI, NZXT Black Phantom Case, Silverstone 1000watt Psu, ALC Coolit Water cooler Razer Nostromo, Razer Death Adder

Sony 55HX800 3DTV, PS3, Playseat Evo Racing seat with Logitech G27, HMZ-T1 (Pre-ordered)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Never owned an Nvidia card yet. Questions

Post by cybereality »

Nvidia is very good about supporting a lot of games, and mostly everything will work in some fashion. They do support SLI with 3D Vision, and even with single cards the performance is not bad (especially since Nvidia cards generally have more power than AMD). Sony's HDTVs will work, but only with the Nvidia 3DTV Play. You can see your model is listed here: http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play- ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep in mind there is nothing out there that will let you play games at 1080P 60Hz on an HDTV, because the HDMI chipsets don't support that yet. So no matter what, you will have to game at 720P. You can, however, play Blu-Ray 3D movies at 1080P since this is at 24Hz.

Not sure there is any card that will let you play any game with max settings in 3D, not even the GTX 590. However a GTX 580 should be more than enough if you play with reasonable settings. I personally use a GTX 470, and I can play just about any game in 3D (even Metro 2033) but with moderate settings.
wolffkran
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wolffkran »

Thanks for the reply, Very informative.
PC: I72600k, Asus P8P67Pro, 16GB Corsair Vengence Ram, 120GB Vertex 2 SSD, 120GB Agility 3 SSD, 2x GTX 570 cards in SLI, NZXT Black Phantom Case, Silverstone 1000watt Psu, ALC Coolit Water cooler Razer Nostromo, Razer Death Adder

Sony 55HX800 3DTV, PS3, Playseat Evo Racing seat with Logitech G27, HMZ-T1 (Pre-ordered)
wolffkran
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wolffkran »

after doing some digging I decided to upgrade to nvidia. I purchased 2 Gtx570 cards. they kick ass! thanks again for the info. now I need to dig through the forums because I have issues with refresh rates and resolutions on my HDTV.

Return to “General NVIDIA discussion”