HMDs vs. Fresnels

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

HMDs vs. Fresnels

Post by Synexious »

Fresnels focus the focal plane out to infinity. HMDs also extend the focal plane (to infinity or effectively close to it). For people who've tried both monitor fresnel setups and HMDs, did you notice any differences? I was planning a 3DVS fresnel setup until the HMZ-T1 was announced. I've now preordered one on Amazon, and I'm confident I'll be getting the ultimate 3D experience since discrete (one display for each eye) 3D is the best, and I was put off by the darkened image using my 3D monitor (Acer HN274H). HMD optics do the same thing as fresnels for monitors right? I know some HMDs use fresnels, too, hmm... Just thinking out loud. I guess we'll see if fresnels or other lenses can be added to the HMZ-T1 to increase FOV further.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: HMDs vs. Fresnels

Post by cybereality »

Honestly I think fresnels give a more immersive feeling than HMDs, but maybe just cause the HMDs I have are seriously low field of view. But the 3D on a nice HMD (like the HMZ-T1) might look more impressive than some other options when you consider ghosting and the darkening of the screen and things like that. Not sure one is better than the other, they are different things (and HMDs have even used fresnels). I actually have a design for a DIY HMD based on fresnels, but I have no idea when (or if) I will actually build it.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Yeah, the darkened image on my 3D monitor detracts from immersion for me, even in total darkness. And ghosting is terrible (though I've only tried WipeoutHD Fury and Killzone 3 - console games). So the HMZ-T1 with no darkening will be the best for me. But basically what I'm asking is if the HMZ-T1 will have the same infinite focus effect, or close to it, as with a fresnel in front of a monitor.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

No, I don't think it will have infinite focus. Usually it will appear similar to a HDTV floating off in space (between a few feet or more).
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

150" at 12', it's been said. In one of his HMD threads, Palmer said the difference between 8' and ∞ is effectively zero for focusing. So I'm wondering if a fresnel setup would offer better focus immersion, if it will be more like looking through a window than with an HMD or not. Maybe fresnels can be added to the HMD. Still, I'm sold on the HMZ even if a monitor fresnel might offer better focus, because of the OLED screens with no crosstalk, and the potential for VR and freedom of body positioning.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

The reason fresnels work so well with monitors is beyond just focus. Because of the way they are made, each eye can look directly forward, while still looking at the same image from the center of the monitor. Adjusting focus is important, but adjusting convergence is also important! Because 3D already adjusts the convergence, though, you do not get as big of a jump from fresnels as you do with a 2D monitor.

With an HMD, you already get those effects, so the only advantage a fresnel monitor setup has is wide FOV.

As for using fresnels with the HMZ-T1, I would not count on it; Optics are more finicky than that, unfortunately.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Does 3D stereo pretty much do the same as fresnel setups? IE, they can cause your eyes to accomodate to infinity?

I definitely find my Black Shark sim WAY more immersive in 3D. Was originally going to go Fresnel, but I like the way the cockpit looks in front of me, yet the scenery gives a great sensation of depth...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”