Wireless Game Gun

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Wireless Game Gun

Post by fireslayer26 »

Ok, I know this is an older video. But I wanted to know if anyone knew how he made this? I know he said its a disassembled keyboard and gyration mouse put inside a toy gun, but how is he sending the video? How were the keyboard keys mapped in the gun, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZuzCpqV ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Re: Wireless Game Gun

Post by fireslayer26 »

I found some info here: http://www.gossipgamers.com/the-coolest ... e-gun-mod/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some more here: http://en.gigazine.net/news/20090624_pc_vr_game_gun/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still not sure how he is streaming the wireless video from the pc to the LCD on the gun.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

One of the better solutions out now for wireless video is the ASUS WAVI. It can stream HD video (even 3D) using wireless HDMI (WHDI). I don't think that was out back when this dude made that, but he probably used something similar.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Thanks for the info!

Can anyone tell what kind of game pad he has attached to the side of the gun? For the wireless setup he said he used a Gyration mouse and a disassembled keyboard inside the gun. Do you think the keyboard was bluetooth or a gyration keyboard part of the Gyration Air Mouse Elite combo? I think this is a very cool, self-contained setup!

Here is another cool setup: http://www.instructables.com/id/How-To- ... ork-in-pr/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

His solution was rather terrible. He was using a 2.4ghz composite analog video link, the max resolution supported would have been 640x480, then stretched to the display, which itself was awful. See how it claims to be "1440 (H) x 234 (V)"? Total malarkey. That is the resolution counting each color subpixel, which nobody has done since the 90s. The actual resolution? 480x234. Over composite, with tons of video artifacts.

It is a good idea, but I never understood why bad implementation of it got so much attention on the gaming blogs. Even back then, there were much better video transmitters, much better displays, and much better tracking devices available for less than a few hundred bucks. I would understand if it was something he just threw together, but he actually tried to make this into a commercial product!

Anyhow, rant over. :lol: That instructable you posted is a lot better done! I would not use a Gyration mouse, though, it has a lot of drift.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

It is interesting what the blogs tend to pick up, and what they seem to "miss".
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Yah, that is a hacked trimersion. The wireless video actually isn't bad for the price.

I hacked one of those up way more 1337. P@y m3 n0w!

The trimersion gun is actully pretty nice. Ask the guys on rcgroups, I expect people there will send one pretty cheap. They bought a load of trimersion's but have no use for the gun. The joysticks and buttons are very good, and wireless. Works well with a wiimote for for motion tracking.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

bobv5 wrote:Yah, that is a hacked trimersion. The wireless video actually isn't bad for the price.

I hacked one of those up way more 1337. P@y m3 n0w!

The trimersion gun is actully pretty nice. Ask the guys on rcgroups, I expect people there will send one pretty cheap. They bought a load of trimersion's but have no use for the gun. The joysticks and buttons are very good, and wireless. Works well with a wiimote for for motion tracking.
That is actually one method I was looking at doing. I think it would be easier since the gun already has the buttons/triggers in place and mapped. Add motion tracking and possibly Sony's new HMD or a pico projector on the gun and it would be pretty fun!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”