HMZ-T1 Grainy and Flat?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: HMZ-T1 Grainy and Flat?

Post by Aeroflux »

Good god man, it's a HMD, not the rapture.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Thank you for the explanation of why you keep telling us CRT is best, Trito. I think I now understand why you can't be reasoned with! :lol:
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

:shock: :lol: :| :roll:
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Is there a middle finger emoticon?
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Yes I always admit I'm biased towards CRT, freely. Some of you guys never admit bias ( because you are bound to it? :P ) .
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Why do people still insist CRTs are better??? I remember Pixar saying switching to LCDs was problematic because CRTs had superior color uniformity across monitors, but that's probably been fixed by now, and I believe there are high-end LCDs which eclipse even the best CRTs now. But for gaming, who cares? What makes a CRT better than a cutting-edge gaming LCD? Certainly LCDs were inferior when they first went mainstream, but that was what, a decade ago, or close to it? And do you actually still game with CRTs, tritosine? Do you think there is something inherently superior about CRTs, and that no other monitor technology will ever eclipse it?

Also, I just discovered that there are actually CRT-based HMDs. Lol.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Nothing wrong with a good CRT. Sure they are bulky and use relatively large amounts of power, but what is 150W when you are running a pc with a 1000W psu?

They have better colour, higher resolution, better contrast, faster response times, and the flicker people complain about is pretty much a myth unless the monitor is badly configured or the user is very sensitive to it. Best of all they are available dirt cheap or free. As far as I am aware the only thing LCD can beat them on is geometric distortion. Of course I am talking about GOOD CRT's, I know some were hideous.

Not biased, if anyone can suggest an alternative technology that beats a CRT in all the way's mentioned above, I would happily use it.

EDIT-- You replied when I wasn't looking!

"And do you actually still game with CRTs, tritosine?"

I'm not tritosine, but yes I do. What do you think is so bad about them?
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I concede that CRTs can be a lot better than LCDs in an ideal world. But realistically, many people just don't have the space! As far as saying CRTs are better than HMDs, that is silly. It is like saying that a projector is better than a mobile phone! :lol: Two totally different uses. And aside from that, Trito seems intent on hating OLEDs, despite never seeing one, and ignoring all of the obvious advantages they have over both CRT and LCD.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

"As far as saying CRTs are better than HMDs, that is silly. It is like saying that a projector is better than a mobile phone!"

Absolutely, but I don’t think anyone said that. Why don’t we all just go outside and fly to the moon? It would be far more realistic.
"If you have a diabolical mind, the first thing that probably came to mind is that it will make an excellent trap: how do you get off a functional omni-directional treadmill?"
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I also think CRT is better than LCD in most regards, except for brightness and image deformation as bobv5 already said - when considering image quality only - but OLED is now the clear successor.

The year 2011 was also the first time a display technology equaled or rivaled the quality of CRT reference monitors with the introduction of PVM and BVM lines of OLED by Sony :
- The CRT Replacement Is Here.. Finally!

This little schema from Sony does illustrate quite well the respective qualities of the different technologies used in displays :

cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I think the main thing to remember is that most of us here (except for maybe one or two people) have not seen this new Sony HMD, or the special type of OLED screen they used for this product. So until we all see it with our own eyes, much of this argument is based on speculation and second-hand information.

But while we are sharing opinions, I will say that I think CRT is garbage, and I'm glad to see it die (please stop resurrecting it, its dead!). While I know it did have some advantages, I don't think they come close to making up for the horrible insta-headache flicker, and huge honkin' size.
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

The huge size I accept is bad.

The flicker, if that is a problem for you, either your eyes are abnormally sensitive, or the CRT was not properly configured.

60hz on a CRT makes me vomit. 75hz is fine. 85hz is really good. When you have seen CRT's, unless someone has deliberately changed it, it would be at 60hz. That is not the monitors fault, it is a poor choice by the person who made the software.

EDIT--
I imagine most of the people on here watched CRT tv's at 50 or 60 hz with no complaint when they were small...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No, even at 85Hz the flicker was immediately apparent to me (forget 60Hz). I could physically see the screen flickering and it gave me a splitting headache (which I did not even realize until I got my first LCD). Some people are more sensitive than others, but I imagine it effects everyone (some people may not notice consciously).
bobv5
Certif-Eyed!

Post by bobv5 »

Well, you must be very sensitive to such things. Or perhaps I have it backwards, and CRT users have become numb to it. But then I have to ask how people used computers for fifty years before they invented LCD monitors... After many hours my eyes hurt. No mater what screen tech.

Anyway, the X-rays are good for me. Kills all the germ's flying round my lab!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

bobv5 wrote: But then I have to ask how people used computers for fifty years before they invented LCD monitors... !
Just cause people did it, doesn't in any way make it comfortable or safe to use.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I have both. 23" CRT, capable of 2048x1956 or something like that. It does stupidly high refresh rates on the resolutions I normally run at. I dont use it anymore however, its been replaced by my Alienware LCD.

The ghosting isn't any better with my CRT (probably mainly due to glasses not fully blocking the light). The size of it is ridiculous - it was a killer to carry upstairs.

While it has a higher res and supposedly more accurate color reproduction, I got about 15-20% more frags in COD4 when I swapped from it to a 60hz widescreen LCD. I suspect its either due to two possible reasons:

1) the lcd seems 'brighter' in terms of its contrast between colours, making it possible to spot people more easily. Maybe my CRT is getting a bit old?

2) it could be the widescreen format allows me to more easily see the edges and gives me that 20% advantage.

As a final point, playing on my Alienware in 120hz mode, gives me about an extra 10% of frags as well. It just seems easier to get those headshots...

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”