Breakthrough: LED contact lenses

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Breakthrough: LED contact lenses

Post by Syntax »

hey folks

I was stumbling the web and look what I ve found:

http://www.zeitnews.org/applied-science ... ality.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
University of Washington researchers have figured out how to implant semitransparent red and blue LED lights in contact lenses, for the purpose of receiving and displaying data in sharp visual images and video.This means wearers will literally be able to watch TV or view photos that are projected directly onto their balls.

Also one cool feature is that you dont need to focus on it. The images will "fit" just like you were watching an ad banner on the streets etc.
Lead researcher Babak Parvis comments “You won’t necessarily have to shift your focus to see the image generated by the contact lens,” it would just appear in front of you and your view of the real world will be completely unobstructed when the display is turned off.

I thought this kind of stuff is not less then 15-20 years away but will see if this will become a finished product in lets say 5-10 years. Also the manufacturing costs of this shouldnt be too high, once they succeed in developing Nano OLED panels. What do you think?
Is this the next phase of display imaging?

Get rdy for the future...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=px4KKmfk ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Breakthrough: LED contact lenses

Post by Syntax »

also a very decent video series explaining what the current problems are of HMDs can be found here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ka9di2ZG ... re=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Contacts would be pretty cool, but I still somehow like the idea of wearing glasses.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Um, I posted the same article... it's right below this thread. And no one commented, but they did on this one. How did that happen? LOL! But video contacts are definitely something I'll live to see, and most of us here. 20 years at least, I say. Maybe much longer. But I'm very, very excited to know that, barring death other than from old age, or global thermonuclear war, I will certainly live to experience 100% immersive VR. I even have a longshot at experiencing SR. I'd be 109 at the dawn of the 22nd century.
slipstream
Cross Eyed!

Post by slipstream »

It states that photos and TV will be transmitted straight onto their balls. What about females?
Syntax
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Syntax »

:lol:
comment of the day
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ahahahahhah!!!!

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”