Fully working Virtual Reality system for sale $15k

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
vvortex3
One Eyed Hopeful

Fully working Virtual Reality system for sale $15k

Post by vvortex3 »

Hey everyone. I'd like to express my thanks for all of the help I have received to get this system working and hope that whoever ends up with this hardware puts it to good use.

I am selling this as a complete hardware/software package which includes the following components

4 S250e cameras + adjustable wall mounts
Custom calibration wand which is good for a 15x15x8 foot volume
Trendnet TPE-80WS PoE switch
USB Key/License for Tracking Tools
Ground Plane
Alienware m11x laptop
eMagin z800 pro dual stereoscopic HMD modified to support tracking markers
A custom backpack enclosure for laptop/hmd
Modified wiimote controller with mounted tracking markers

Full source code to a working zombie shooter built in Unity
Assistance with setting up the entire system

More information is available at http://www.minus-reality.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This system was shown at maker faire 2011 and drew a very large crowd. It was used by over 200 people at the faire.

I am selling this whole working system for $15,000. Other than the hardware this system has taken about 8 months to write the software and get working properly.

Call Dewayne at (916)533-0007. Serious inquiries only.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Fully working Virtual Reality system for sale $15k

Post by cybereality »

I wish you the best of luck, but $15k seems pretty steep if you ask me.
vvortex3
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vvortex3 »

It is a bit of a high-end project with regard to cost. I should point out that roughly $15k in hardware is included, not including any software costs. Check the price of each item listed, the tracking system alone is about $10k, and the HMD alone was $2300.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

I remember you posting about this a long time ago, glad to see you got it working! :)

This system is definitely worth 15k, but only to the right buyer. I know the Z800 dual input costs a lot, but keep in mind that Sony just announced a 51 degree FOV, 720p OLED unit for $600-800 themselves, and that will be shipping in October/November, so most people here interested in a system like this will want more up to date hardware.

Not going to post links that will compete, but there are some really nice complete Phasespace based tracking systems for sale on the internet for $30,000 that outperform pretty much everything on the market. Most people who want a prebuilt system will go with that (There are Unity plugins for the Phasespace systems, nice ones), and most people who want to DIY will, well, DIY.

I know one guy who might be interested, though, I will let you know by Friday evening (They already have two other tracking setups, but a smaller/lower cost spare might be of interest). Beyond that, have you tried contacting any universities? For some places, 15k is a drop in the bucket.
vvortex3
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vvortex3 »

Yeah I got the system working and then did a demo at Maker Faire 2011 where a couple hundred people tried the zombie shooter that I created for it. I actually sold this system in parts and mangaed to get nearly my target price. The tracking system actually went to a videographer because they can be used for CG.
Krenzo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Krenzo »

Do you have a video of any actual gameplay with players in your zombie game?
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Your VR game looks pretty cool! How many independent trackers can that tracking system monitor simultaneously?

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”