Samsung 32" 3D LCD TV LED UA32D6000S vs 27" 120hz help!

Own a 3D HDTV? Trying to learn about the latest and greatest? Post here!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Samsung 32" 3D LCD TV LED UA32D6000S vs 27" 120hz help!

Post by Okta »

I am looking at getting this TV and need help from you guys as far as using this for a 3d pc monitor for gaming and movies.

Is this being a 6000 series an older model??

Weighing this up against the new Samsung 27 inch 3d 120hz monitor.

I'm using a HD6870, use stereoscopic player and have iz3d driver and have Samsung 3d glasses already.

Can anyone can tell me if I will have any hassles with ghosting, 3d formats, lag etc?

The TV is a little more but I am a fan of larger screens for immersion and either one will sit on my desk a few feet away.

Want to make a decision in the next few days, may even take a usb full of movies to the shop to check out the TV but the 27 inch monitor inst available until the end of the week.

Getting geared up for Skyrim so any help appreciated thanks guys.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Samsung 32" 3D LCD TV LED UA32D6000S vs 27" 120hz hel

Post by cybereality »

HDTVs will be limited to 720P for gaming, while the Samsung monitor should be able to do full 1080P gaming (w/ DDD). That seems like a huge selling point to me. 32" may be kinda big to use as a monitor on your desk. It can be done, but I think 27" is more comfortable. Not sure about ghosting and other stuff.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Im currently using a 28 1920x1200 so the 27 will be a step backwards in size. How come i can only run in 720p? Will it not accept 1080 signal side by side?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You should be able to do 1080P SBS, but that is not full resolution. Its half-resolution. Though it should still look alright. And I'm sure the extra size will add to the immersion.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Ah so the vertical res is halved like 50/50 sbs... damn i though it would be side by side 3800. I really hate these types of decisions :( , this is why ill never get a tattoo lol
Okta

Post by Okta »

I have ended up getting the Samsung ua406000 and its a mixed bag. It would not do 1080 using a dvi to hdmi, the screen was the wrong size and horrible, it would do it with a vga cable but no 3d. Now i have swapped cables with my samsung 720p plasma and that is all messed up and cant do 1360, it looks interlaced :( in extended mode.

Going to buy a hdmi 1.4 cable tomorrow and see if that helps but this is very wierd and annoying.

edit. Got ripped off a bit with this purchase, its the base smart TV 6000 model and has NO 2d-3d conversion and only does side by side and over under, seems to be missing tons of other options and well. I have sent a letter to Samsung regarding their misleading web page and also the sales rep said it supported conversion.

http://www.samsung.com/au/consumer/tv-a ... returnurl=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On the specs page is has no for conversion but that isnt good enough me thinks after having this on the main page...
Samsung’s ultra-slim LED * TV Series 6 skillfully combines the benefits of LED technology with the craftsmanship of an artist. It boasts a number of advanced features on the inside such as Samsung’s Ultra Clear Panel, Clear Motion Rate 400, Digital Noise Filter, BD Wise and Wide Colour Enhancer Plus to deliver Full HD images that are unbelievably vibrant with razor-sharp edges. Moreover, you'll enjoy the wonders of a true 3D cinematic experience powered by Samsung’s 3D* HyperReal Engine. You can also watch content stored on a USB through the ConnectShare™ Movie feature and the four HDMI inputs on your TV. Now you can also enjoy all of your 2D content 3D with the built-in 3D Converter. Complement your viewing experience with features such as Smart Hub**, Search All, and AllShare™** connectivity, Samsung's Anynet+ technology and Your Movie so you can get the most out of your Samsung Smart TV. Finally, your world is not complete without the beautiful sounds of SRS Theatre Sound and realistic 3D Sound technologies.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well you will need to use an HDMI cable to get the best quality 3D (HDMI 1.4a), as is the case with almost all HDTVs released in the past year or so. I would also get the DDD driver to play games on, but I think your video card is too old to use AMD HD3D. You need 5000 series or above. Here is a list of supported cards: http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... dware.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

To be honest the 2D to 3D function is not that great, unless you enjoy headaches. I have not used this on a Samsung TV specifically, but it uses the same algorithm from DDD and I have that and its crap. Probably still better than the 3D conversion on PowerDVD, but thats not saying much. You're probably better off without it.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Oops i havent updated my sig but i am using a HD6870 with Iz3d drivers in side by side. I can only run at 1600x900 as 1080 is messed up but its been half way decent. Quite a bit of ghosting but mostly noticeable against sky backgrounds. Tried setting 720/60 and 120hz in Iz3d for the hd3d but i still only have the side by side and over under options on the TV so im not sure how thats going to work.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you use HD3D you should not have to setup anything on the TV. Its all plug and play. Just make sure you select AMD HD3D mode. I had problems with iz3d actually, but the DDD driver works perfectly.
Okta

Post by Okta »

I think HD3d mode in IZ3d is the 120hz option? If so then it didnt work using the latest catalyst driver. Display just showed slow left right switching and didnt go into 3d mode.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No, I am talking about AMD HD3D (HDMI 1.4a) output. Maybe you don't have the latest iz3D driver (1.13 5443). Also, I would recommend getting the DDD driver and trying that instead as there seem to be a lot of issues using IZ3D on HDMI 1.4a. Here is a link to get 50% off for AMD users: https://www.ddd.com/cart/product.php?productid=46" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Also, the Stereoscopic Player should also work with AMD HD3D mode if you just want to make sure the setup is functional.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Well it appears im screwed. I would never have imagined HDTV's cannot take a 1080p input hdmi from a pc. It is overscanned and fuzzy as crap so i can only run at 1600x900 to get a decent result. Even then the TV reports it as 1600x1200. This plus half res side by side is less quality than i had in mind :(
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

Okta wrote:Well it appears im screwed. I would never have imagined HDTV's cannot take a 1080p input hdmi from a pc. It is overscanned and fuzzy as crap so i can only run at 1600x900 to get a decent result. Even then the TV reports it as 1600x1200. This plus half res side by side is less quality than i had in mind :(

If the image is fuzzy, you may be having a timing issue. I would use something like moninfo and see if you can tweak the inf for your display to get things looking better. You know that hdmi 1.4a is limited to 24hz for 1080p 3d framepacking right? 720p allows for 60Hz. There is no 3d tv that will allow 120Hz input over hdmi, which I assume you knew when you made the purchase.
Okta

Post by Okta »

Well ive finally got it running at 1080p through hdmi with some caveats. It runs that res but is very hard on the eyes so i have dropped the sharpbess down to zero to make the text somewhat acceptable. Tried some gaming at 1080p side by side and its ok aside from the ghosting which seems to get worse the higher up the screen you look. I hear its the same with many displays and wonder why that is. Will bung the new 1.4 cable back in later and update the iz3d and try some hd3d.

Thanks for the help guys :)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I guess you probably figured it out by now, but I think you just needed to adjust the overscan settings in Catalyst. That is weird you say its "hard on the eyes" at 1080P. What do you mean by that? It should look crisp and clear, at least it does with other Samsung TVs I've seen in the store.
Okta

Post by Okta »

From what i can find on the net some TV's are designed with a dedicated pc input that will work correctly, in this case the vga port. The hdmi ports are not designed for pc's and will overscan the image cutting off the screen edges and ruining the 1:1 pixel ratio. If you then use scaling on the grahpics card you just ruin the pixel ratio further. I selected "fit screen" on the tv to get the right size and had to drop sharpness down to zero to smooth the text out. It still looks somewhat bright and washed out and still a little hard on the eyes but i think i can live with it, until i go blind..
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I am pretty sure there is a way to get it to work. You may have to check the EDID yourself, or maybe make a custom resolution or something. But I know a lot of people use HDTVs as monitors so surely there is some hack to get it working. Don't give up!

Here is a thread that may hold some answers, or at least give you some ideas what to search for:
http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3133 ... ext-Blurry" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

Okta wrote:Well ive finally got it running at 1080p through hdmi with some caveats. It runs that res but is very hard on the eyes so i have dropped the sharpbess down to zero to make the text somewhat acceptable. Tried some gaming at 1080p side by side and its ok aside from the ghosting which seems to get worse the higher up the screen you look. I hear its the same with many displays and wonder why that is. Will bung the new 1.4 cable back in later and update the iz3d and try some hd3d.

Thanks for the help guys :)
i have heard about the top-screen ghosting too, and it seems like a common issue for 3d vision users. it doesn't happen to me since i am using a passive display, but i get the impression it is related to the timing sync between the screen and the glasses. like i mentioned, playing with the edid inf may help alleviate your scaling/pixel mapping issue as well as the timing/sync/refresh rate.
Okta

Post by Okta »

I have read a few similar threads. edit-

After playing with all the inputs and settings i am using the hdmi 1.4 into the hdmi(dvi) port 1 on the TV. I found that editing the name of the input on teh TV has effect on the signal, when setting it to PC it defaulted the sharpness to 99 thus making the text terrible. I have dropped it down to 40 or so and it is ok. Just reading black text against a white background looks a bit washed out and hard on the eyes still but its close to decent i can live with :)

update- tried DDD and it tells me a i need a supported TV... this only has side by side and over under, google is really failing me with this TV.

Return to “3D HDTVs”