Dream 3D HMD

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
neonetwise
One Eyed Hopeful

Dream 3D HMD

Post by neonetwise »

So we've been tossing around a few ideas at the office this week, one of which was to development of a 3D HMD.

With this in mind, we'd like to pose a question.

What is your dream HMD?

- Form Factor
- Resolution
- Input Types
- Motion Tracking
- Other Features
- Price Point
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Dream 3D HMD

Post by PalmerTech »

Before I go on, do you mean "dream" HMD, or one that could actually be constructed using mostly off the shelf/low volume parts? I mean, most of us would love a QXGA or 4K resolution HMD, but it would not be realistic to assume possible. :P
neonetwise
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neonetwise »

Yeh, I should have been a little more specific.. Using currently available technology.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I would want something that could give between 90-120 degrees field of view. Current consumer HMDs are just not as immersive as I would like.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

I agree with Cyber. Main spec for HMD should be FOV.
Let's say: 90-120 degree diagonal FOV, at least 800 x 600 resolution with ability to downscale from higher rez., 3DOF head-tracker, power by USB (not by heavy power supply), 3DOF head-tracking (360 degree FOR), Support of VGA, DVI, HDMI.
Lighter than 1 kilo would be nice :lol:

Also... Helmet-like design would be preferable, built-in high-FOV HD webcam (or two) would be nice, high-quality audio which totally covers your ears (something like in VFX-1).

Optics should allow to setup diopters for each eye independently, adjust IPD. Or just allow to wear it over the glasses.
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
mAchiNE

Post by mAchiNE »

I concur, High FOV minimum 90 degree, is most important.
A modern version of the VFX-1 would be good with adjustable IPD, flip up screen, min resoloution 800x600 preferably higher, good quality audio, headtracking, HDMI 1.4a 3D support and HDMI 1.3 2D support would probably give best compatibility (DVI adaptor could be used on PCs without HDMI port)
Current System:
Oculus Rift Dev Kit, 3x 23" Passive 3D Monitors in 3D Vision Surround, Novint Falcon, 3rd Space Gaming Vest, ButtKicker, Razer Hydra, Logitech G25.
Previous 3D Systems:
Viewsonic PJD6531w 3D DLP Projector, Vuzix VR920, 24" Alienware and 22" Samsung 3D Vision Monitors, eDimensional 3D Glasses with 19" CRT Monitor
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I would also like widescreen aspect ratio, preferably 720P (I know some people don't agree). Even triple-screen Eyefinity/3DVS would be cool in an HMD. Something wireless would be awesome. So it would need some transmitter to hook up to the video card and a rechargeable battery pack (this could have a short wire and attach to a belt if necessary). Also related there should be a wireless cyberpuck like peripheral that is designed to work with the HMD. This could be used as a gun in games, with 6DOF control. The Razer Hydra is close to this in performance, but its not wireless. Right now it is very hard to have a full-freedom range of motion VR setup. Too many wires still.
Synexious
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Synexious »

Yes! I've decided to get an HMZ-T1 instead of 3DVS, both because I want to build an immersive 360 DOF RPG and FPS simulator and because of the greatly reduced cost, but I do wish I could have Surround. I wonder if buying three HMZ-T1s and hacking the screens together would be at all possible,
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Aphradonis wrote:I wonder if buying three HMZ-T1s and hacking the screens together would be at all possible,
I don't think that will work because of the optics. But I guess you never know.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

Remember when they were showing OLED technology on flexible plastic? That's what I'd like to see in an HMD, a panoramic full field of view, seamless and high resolution. Also, since OLED has the capability to be up to 70% transparent, use that advantage with a polarizing filter on the outside - opaque/translucent at the push of a button.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

The optics for that would be hell, though.
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

PalmerTech wrote:The optics for that would be hell, though.
Hmm...true. I'm going to go on the edge of technology and answer that with micro-crystalline optics built right on top of the OLED display. It will cancel out the transparency though...I guess the real question is how we can emulate a light path accurately and still allow natural light to pass through the emitter with a small amount of aberration?
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Mirrors! Half silvered mirrors!

Mirrors are the future of HMD optics, mark my words. ;) Lightweight, little to no distortion if you make them properly, and allows for a natural optical path.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@PalmerTech: Are you being sarcastic? The Vuzix Wrap use mirrors. The actual screens are facing downward I believe.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

No, not being sarcastic at all. Their implementation is not made for high performance, it is made for cheapness.

I have a LOT of really cool stuff I am going to be showing off this week, both my own projects and some stuff from my new job. Want me to take some pictures of my mirror based AR HMD? ;)
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

AR HMD? Well I'm excited for one.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Yup, about 80 degree FOV, 50/50 transmission mirrors.
Johnny-Mnemonic

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

PalmerTech wrote:Want me to take some pictures of my mirror based AR HMD? ;)
Sure we do! :mrgreen:
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

I want to see someone make a holographic hmd. Either having a view of full motion holographics on a single display screen or by having some optical laser emitters produce the 3d space pixel light infront of your eye balls. Some 3d pixels on a small form factor screen may well be good too. I could put this together if i had enough money a laboratory, parts and resources. :D
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”