My HMD Collection

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

My HMD Collection

Post by ShawmK »

While I wait for the Wrap 1200 to arrive in the post, I thought I would sort through the HMDs I already own. Being a bit obsessive, I have gone through many, many pairs over the years, and they all have their pros and cons. My background is in 3D still photography, and I have always liked the idea of a video display that would function like a View-Master Viewer (I have a big collection of those as well).

Olympus Eye-Trek FMD-700

This was my very first HMD, purchased in back in 2000. They are the top of the line of the Olympus range and are still among the most advanced video glasses I have ever seen. They accept PAL and NTSC video signals (both composite and s-video) as well as VGA input from a computer. The lenses are very high quality, providing a clear sharp picture with no distortions across the entire display. The set-up menu provides extensive picture controls for brightness, contrast, tint etc, and even remembers separate settings for PAL, NTSC and VGA. Sadly there is no 3D capability, and the resolution is low by modern standards, because in every other respect, this is the best HMD I have ever used.
The specs list a resolution of 180,000 pixels, but they use fancy signal processing to emulate a display of 720,000 (basically they soften the image digitally). The display is very good for video sources, but no as good for reading text on the computer. I am very sorry Olympus abandoned this range of displays; had they carried on developing them, I'm sure they would have Full HD 3D models on the market by now.

Olympus Eye-Trek FMD 250W

The 250W is actually a step down from the 700 model above, but it had the advantage of a native widescreen display. As far as I know, this was the only 16:9 HMD on the market for many years, and the screen is very impressive, despite the low resolution (240,000 pixels). It accepts composite and s-video, but PAL only, although there was also a separate NTSC version available. As with the other Eye-Trek models, the optics are first-class, and the image was very sharp. Unfortunately this also means the low resolution is unmistakable - it had a distinct "screen door" look to it.

All versions of the Eye-Trek do have the same weakness, unfortunately: the earpieces are flimsy and have a tendency to break. You have to be careful, because replacements are impossible to find...

Rimax Virtual Vision 4.0XL

The Rimax has a 640x480 display, so is higher than any of the Olympus models (which were out of production by then) but in every other respect it's a pretty poor product. Compared to the Eye-Treks, the field of view is very small (25 degrees) and the colour contrast is awful; it's almost impossible to adjust the image to a satisfactory level. It accepts composite PAL and NTSC, but no 3D. I don't think the company exists any more (and if they do, shame on them).

Vuzix AV920

I'm sure Vuzix needs no introduction ;)

When I bought these I opted for the AV (video) model instead of the VR (computer) model because I wanted them primarily for use with DVDs. I could never get them to sit comfortably, and I had a very hard time finding the "sweet spot" where both displays were properly centred over my eyes. A few years after their release, Vuzix issued a firmware upgrade adding side-by-side 3D, which made them much more useful to me.

Generic Chinese HMD

These are actually better than I thought they would be - although my expectations were low, so that isn't saying much. The image is surprisingly superior to the Vuzix AV920, although it is nowehere near as good as the Wrap 920 or the Zeiss Cinemizer (I think I go through HMDs the way most people go through headphones). The can display field-sequential 3D, but the lenses are very poor (the edges of the picture are very fuzzy) and - ridiculously - you can only operate them using a remote. Who came up with that one?

The Headplay

When I first saw the specs for these I thought they were sure to be the ultimate HMD. High resolution! Good connectivity! 3D compatible! Focus and IPD adjustment! How could these possibly go wrong?

In practice I find the Headplay absolutely maddening. On the one hand, the display is wonderful. The colours are deep and rich, the FOV is immersive and it can connect to virtually anything. Unfortunately - for me - it's all downhill from there. I have never been able to get that ridiculous golfing hat to sit properly on my head; it never seems to want to stay in the right position. Also my unit doesn't do well with AV signals - composite or S-video. The picture has distortions, as if there is interference from something, and it has a hard time moving from PAL to NTSC. The 3D, of course, is no longer compatible with anything, and because the unit uses a single display for both eyes, I find there is noticeable ghosting (which is really unnecessary in a head-mounted display).

I really want to like these more than I do, but there are too many negatives for me, sadly.

The Vuzix Wrap and the Cinemizer

Quite a lot has been written about these already, and they are very similar products in many ways. They both have the same resolution and field of view, and they both display side-by-side 3D.

The major advantage of the Vuzix is the optional VGA connector. The Cinemizer is composite video only, but the colour contrast is actually better; you can make out a bit more detail in the image, even though the resolution is the same. Having said that, Vuzix has the better brightness and contrast options with their onscreen menu. Cinemizer simply has three pre-set brightness levels, with no other adjustment possible. In 3D mode, Cinemizer also cannot swap over the left and right images; if you have an image formatted for cross-viewing, you're out of luck. Without a computer connection, though, the issue doesn't come up very often.

Cinemizer has a built in battery, and can be recharged through a USB port - much more convenient than having to constantly swap out the AA batteries in the Vuzix power pack. Also Cinemizer gives you a headphone socket if you want to use your own headphones. On balance I find myself using the Vuzix more often, but they are both good products. If the Cinemizer had a VGA connector it would be a much harder choice. Now if only they could produce a Cinemizer with an HD display, OLED screen and HDMI connection - then you would really have something!

Sorry for such a lengthy post, but I've been meaning to sort out my previous HMDs in my own head for some time. The prospect of receiving the Wrap 1200 in a few days ( :D ) has focussed my mind on the job. I hope someone finds this interesting!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: My HMD Collection

Post by cybereality »

Awesome post man! Thats a very nice collection. Hope the Wrap 1200 is a worthy addition.

Also, the 3D photos are well done. What kind of rig did you use to take those? And is there any reason you choose to do parallel rather than cross-eye? Personally I find cross-eye easier to do, but I guess everyone's different.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Shawnk, I think you have your photos reversed. I switched this one around. and now I see the 3D.

Peace
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Panasonic Plasma VT25 50" (Full HD 3D)
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
Serving up my own 3D since 1996.
(34) Patents
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

cybereality wrote: is there any reason you choose to do parallel rather than cross-eye?
I generally process my photos in parallel because I print them as Stereo Cards to be viewed with print viewers. That way I can share them with people who may not be adept at free viewing :roll:

If anyone prefers cross-view, I've re-formatted them and made an album of the images here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Shawmkreit ... directlink

I use a pair of Panasonic Lumix TZ7 cameras linked together. They have very wide angle lenses, so you can get in really close and get some fairly extreme 3D shots. Unfortunately, it also tends to attract attention when I'm taking pictures in public... :geek:
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Yes, very nice. Thanks for sharing.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well, I can free-view with both cross-eye and parallel, but with parallel I must sit much further back from the screen to do it (or use only really small photos). With cross-eye I can sit a normal distance and view with large photos with only minor eye-strain. But I understand that if you are printing slides you would want to use parallel.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Glad you like the photos :)

Cyber, I know what you mean about the eye strain - I don't really enjoy free-viewing for too long; I just wind up giving myself a headache.
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Sorry guys, but I can't seam to free view the parallel's. I even stepped back a good 10-12 feet. Shawnk, I take it your using a custom camera mount. what is your aperature spacing? The photo's are superb. Are you able to shoot action photo's?

peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Thanks; I love this camera! It was custom built by Co van Ekeren (a Dutch maker of 3D equipment) from a pair of Lumix TZ7 compact cameras. The spacing can be adjusted, from 58mm to 136mm, and they stay in synch beautifully, so action shots are not a problem.

Here is an action shot (sort of):

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/F ... directlink

and here is an example of a hyperstereo shot, with 136mm spacing:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D ... directlink

Sorry, these are in parallel format again, but it gives you the idea. :(
Chiefwinston
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Chiefwinston »

Thanks ShawnK, Its an impressive collection of HMD's, too.

Peace
AMD HD3D
i7
DDD
PS3
Polk Audio- Surround 7.1
(34) Patents
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Hey ShawnK,
I know it would not be near as nice as your z7 camera setup, but have you looked at the new Sony Bloggie 3D ? Might be good for quick and easy point and shoot with out funny looks from people ?

Seems to take great 3D video from what I have seen.
Even though the lens look close to each other, I believe it is using them in a cross eye setup of some sort. It seems to take very good close-up shots.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Hey, I haven't tried the Sony, but I did get a chance to play with another mini-3D camera - the Aiptek - and found the quality fairly poor, unfortunately. I do have the Fuji W1, which I use as a point-and-shoot camera sometimes.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

The Sony is much much better than the Aiptek from what I have seen/heard.
The newer Fuji W3 has a very nice 3D screen.

And to your topis..Very nice HMD's you have there....Hope Vuzix VR1200 will be the start of mine...
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Shawnk - great collection you have of the HMDs.....

i have headplay and emagin only - had av920 too but the 3d was big problem with it so i had returned it to the seller....so currently only Emagin z800 , Headplay and a china HMD[not worth mentioning]....
am still looking for the ultimate HMD [wrap 1200/wrap 1200VR/cinemizer OLEDs being waited for]...

since you have headplay as well so when you add Wrap 1200 to your collection - please review it in comparison with headplay .... ;)

you are right abt headplay - i have the same issue - screen is great colors are rich and almost look look like HD LCD however the visor is difficult to position , screen being highly reflective...the eye-pieces are small [small exit pupil] so viewing the entire screen is difficult! [i adjust the aspect ratio of video (fov 32) for video - xtreamer sidewinder gives that option]

headplay had great potential but they did not 'refine' the idea further hence the unit is now obsolete and dead with no support......

now am really curious as to Wrap 1200 hence the request and ardently waiting for cinemizer OLED version if it ever comes out...

goodluck with your wrap 1200 ! hope you enjoy it great !
Marcer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marcer »

Shawnk , that's a very great collection but can we see Blu-ray 3D with the Vuzix AV920 or only the DVD that are in the official website
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Marcer, sadly, none of the HMDs on the market at the moment will work with 3D Blu Rays.

The new Zeiss Cinemizer - which is apparently due out in the New Year - is supposed to.

Ancjob, I will certainly let you know how the Vuzix 1200 compares to the Headplay - once it arrives! I'm still waiting, and they're now telling me it won't be sent for another couple of weeks... :( Has anyone out there actually received one yet?

I've never had a chance to use the emagin. I've been tempted by it a few times, but the price has always been a bit too high, and the fact that it can't connect to a video source was a deal-breaker for me. How do you rate the Emagin against the Headplay?
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

ShawmK wrote:Marcer, sadly, none of the HMDs on the market at the moment will work with 3D Blu Rays.

The new Zeiss Cinemizer - which is apparently due out in the New Year - is supposed to.

Ancjob, I will certainly let you know how the Vuzix 1200 compares to the Headplay - once it arrives! I'm still waiting, and they're now telling me it won't be sent for another couple of weeks... :( Has anyone out there actually received one yet?

I've never had a chance to use the emagin. I've been tempted by it a few times, but the price has always been a bit too high, and the fact that it can't connect to a video source was a deal-breaker for me. How do you rate the Emagin against the Headplay?

i use emagin as 2d TV - it's usb powered with fov 40 [the largest in consumer HMDs with OLED - 800x600] it's like watching CRT Tv but i go back to headplay as it's HD LCD for me with superb colors...

optics : for emagin are really superb - you go on wearing it for hours - no eye strain also the exit pupil is huge [and ipd adjustment makes it great further] - for usd 700-800 emagin is a good buy on ebay

Sadly headplay was an amazing concept....only the optics needed to be further refined too bad it got discontinued....and a great concept died premature death...

I want the HMD with non reflective LCOS screen of the same quality as headplay and optics of emagin...& freedom from clunky control boxes - i do not think so that new HMDs fit the bill including wrap 1200 as well but the hope is on always...........guess the HMds still have a long way to go

update : with my nettop [asrock ion 3d] fully configured and using totalmedia theatre 5 watching movies on emagin is absolutely great! as the TMT5 gives the options to set the contrast / brightness/saturation / hue on the fly.....

Finally my emagin is giving me the results i long waited for [at times i was disappointed with emagin] - truly amazing big screen .... too bad 3D still not supported but i will keep trying - may be that will work too...............

i take my words back - emagin is truly a great '2D' HMD.......none beats it in that territory....let see if the cinemizer will turn the tides and have emagin review it's position in the HMD arena .....
Last edited by ancjob on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:52 am, edited 8 times in total.
Marcer
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Marcer »

Thanks for your answer ShawmK , congrats for you greate collection :woot
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

ShawmK wrote:Marcer, sadly, none of the HMDs on the market at the moment will work with 3D Blu Rays.

This is true, however the Vuzix Wrap HMDs will at least work with Blu-Ray rips, for example side-by-side MKV files.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

cybereality wrote:

This is true, however the Vuzix Wrap HMDs will at least work with Blu-Ray rips, for example side-by-side MKV files.
Hey cybereality,
So with the right software could you convert any 3d blu-ray to side by side ?
Could you buy the Avitar 3D Blu-ray and convert it to side by side and play it on the Wrap 1200 ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

3dvison wrote: So with the right software could you convert any 3d blu-ray to side by side ?
Could you buy the Avitar 3D Blu-ray and convert it to side by side and play it on the Wrap 1200 ?
Yes. You could do this with DVDFab:
http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-3d-ripper.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

cybereality wrote:
3dvison wrote: So with the right software could you convert any 3d blu-ray to side by side ?
Yes. You could do this with DVDFab:
http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-3d-ripper.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
frankly i hate trans-coding.....but getting it into mkv container with high bit rate for video/audio will be nice but time consuming.......here : http://makemkv.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

too bad not single quality HMD , which can play blu-rays 3D flicker-free exists...for consumers within affordability
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Here in the UK the Sky 3D channel broadcasts using the side-by-side format, which is directly supported by both the Vuzix and the Cinemizer.

So far, Sky 3D has broadcast almost every film that has been issued on Blu Ray (and a few that haven't: The three Toy Story films, for example) so I have no complaints :D
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

In the US some of the cable companies have 3D Video on Demand, but it is in over/under format unfortunately. Some do side-by-side though.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Wow, great collection! Thanks for the reviews. I definitely agree about the Olympus HMDs, I have a FMD-20P, a FMD-150, and an FMD-250W, and they all have phenomenal optics. It is sad, because there are 0.55" 800x600 OLED screens (The exact same size as used in the Eye-Trek series) available off the shelf for under $500 per unit in very low quantities. I am sure once you factor in high volume discounts, they could make a a very nice 3D HMD for under $1000, but that does not look likely. :(

As for the AV920, I agree with your assessment. I had a VR920, and it was MADDENING that the optics had such a small exit pupil, and were impossible to place correctly in front of my eyes. I have a slightly larger IPD than most, but I still within the "normal" range, so they were really hard to like. I ended up modding mine with new lenses that I spaced properly, but then I ran into the support issue. At least the AV920 got a side by side update, the VR920 was stuck on 32 bit operating systems with a proprietary driver that maxed out at 37.5hz per eye. :evil: Same thing with the Headplay, I don't see why they could not release an update to support side by side. I mean, the unit supports playing side by side videos from the Liberator, why not the VGA input?!

Can't wait for the Cinemizer OLED, if it holds up to the reputation of the current units, and ideally has a FOV of at least 40, then it sounds like the perfect consumer HMD.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote: Can't wait for the Cinemizer OLED, if it holds up to the reputation of the current units, and ideally has a FOV of at least 40, then it sounds like the perfect consumer HMD.
if that happens - emagin will die as low power 800x600 oled with fov 40 is it's only selling usp now it depends if the optics of cinemizer OLED will be better than emagin i wonder.... :) as emagin has 'huge' exit pupil and superb optics which none can beat so far.....although HMD-frame is flimsy prone to damage unless one opts for ruggedized version which is pricey................

headplay suffered from highly reflective screen,small exit pupil and being heavy - hence died and so did the concept of single screen for HMDs...headplay was selling for usd$150 with free shipping by Dell - even the ridiculous chine make HMDs sell for more than that - unfortunate!

i am excited abt HDMI input - coz hdmi makes for universal connectivity with almost all devices having hdmi output.....

BTW - which version of HDMI - cinemizer OLED will add - 1.3 or 1.4 with 3D support i wonder... :)
suckmysound
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by suckmysound »

Hi Shawnk

i have read ur post here :My HMD Collection - digging up an old thread but as i read more and i wanna read more and more regd. the HMDs from yesteryears. Cool that technology is really gearing up and now we have HMZ/st1080 which 'd have been a 'wonder' 10 yrs back.
I am also building up collection based on what u have and ur observations , collecting the rare stuff from wherever i can find - great hobby for me and really exciting to play with these tech toys.

what a a superb collection of HMDs ! U have the best already .

i noticed that you have both eye-trek FMD-700 and headplay PCS .These low FOV units employed great tech. but became obsolete now rarely seen / traded.

Headplay is a cheap 800x600 HMD basically a 2D unit only but with great image quality which i read about in RC forums on the net.

i am looking for headplay as well for around 100USD besides the much talked abt olympus HMDs

A few questions :

(1) are Eye-trek FMD-700's ( colors / hue / saturation ) better than/more pleasing than that of headplay PCS ?

(2)is the virtual screen size of eye-trek FMD-700 bigger than that of headplay PCS or at least comparable ?

(3)is the eye-trek FMD-700 comfortable to wear for hours without eye-strain ?

(4)which has most better optics - eye-trek fmd-700 OR headplay PCS ?

(5)eye-trek fmd-700 : is the image using VGA PC input - rich and better than that of Headplay PCS for the same resolution input ?

(6)Somewhere here that someone told that olympus eye-trek lenses use the same lenses as Emagin ? not sure but following their tech paper - it looks like they really do - what's ur take on this ?

Shawnk i wait for ur reply .
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Hi, and thanks!

It's really difficult to do a direct comparison of the Olympus and the Headplay, because they are from different generations (in technology terms) and both are now out-of-date when compared to the models currently on the market. Both units have good points and bad points, so on one level it depends on what issues are most important for your needs.
The Olympus has the better optics by far and is (I think) more comfortable to wear. On the other hand, the Headplay has much higher resolution and better colours. Also the Headplay has 3D capabilities; the Olympus is 2D only.

I'll try to address your questions in turn:

(1) are Eye-trek FMD-700's ( colors / hue / saturation ) better than/more pleasing than that of headplay PCS ?

The Headplay is definitely better in terms of colour and saturation. It uses an LCoS display that produces very rich colours and an extremely sharp image. That is, without question, the best feature of the Headplay: the images look really good. The Olympus uses a pair of LCD displays which look washed-out by comparison. They also suffer from the "screen-door" effect you usually get with lower-resolution LCDs.
On the other hand, the Olympus gives you much more control over the image: there is an onscreen menu that will let you make very precise adjustments, and you can save different custom settings for different inputs. The unit will remember your specific settings for PAL, NTSC or PC signals.

(2)is the virtual screen size of eye-trek FMD-700 bigger than that of headplay PCS or at least comparable ?

There isn't a huge difference in the FOV between these two models. The Olympus FOV is slightly larger, but the Headplay has a much higher resolution. Remember, the Olympus is from the late 1990's, while the Headplay was released in 2007.

There is definitely less eye-strain with the Eye-Trek - as long as you can get it positioned comfortably, and that will vary from person to person. The problem with the Olympus design is that the unit itself is quite bulky and heavy, and most of that weight is resting on your nose. I found that the most comfortable way to wear the Olympus was to remove the ear-pieces (easily done) and use an elastic head-band instead. That made it much more comfortable, and also easier to position correctly.

The biggest obstacle to using the Olympus for hours on end is the Health-And-Safety warning they have built in. When you switch on the unit, you get this alarming message:

WARNING: TO PREVENT
SERIOUS INJURY
SEE MANUAL FOR SAFETY
INFORMATION BEFORE
USING.
MAY DISTURB VISION,
BALANCE OR HAND-EYE
COORDINATION.
NOT FOR USE BY
CHILDREN UNDER 16.
PRESS OK TO CONTINUE.

The display will then shut itself down automatically after two and a half hours, although you can just switch it right back on again... ;)

No contest: The Eye-Trek has far better optics than the Headplay.
The optics are actually the biggest problem on the Headplay; there is just no way to get the entire image exactly in focus, and if you move the unit even slightly, you can easily lose the entire image. The Eye-Trek has some of the best optics I have ever seen on a consumer HMD - but I guess that isn't surprising from a company like Olympus. If the image resolution wasn't so low by modern standards, the FMD-700 would still be one of the best HMDs out there, just for the quality of the optics.

(5)eye-trek fmd-700 : is the image using VGA PC input - rich and better than that of Headplay PCS for the same resolution input ?

You can't really compare this, because the Headplay has a native resolution of 800x600. The Eye-Trek has 180,000 pixels (compare that to the 640x480 Vuzix, which boasts 920,000 pixels). I can't really imagine using the Eye-Trek as a computer monitor; the resolution is just too low to read pages of text, sadly.

(6)Somewhere here that someone told that olympus eye-trek lenses use the same lenses as Emagin ? not sure but following their tech paper - it looks like they really do - what's ur take on this ?

I've only tried the Emagin on one occasion - and that unit turned out to be faulty - so I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone else knows?

I'm really sorry that Olympus abandoned the Eye-Trek range. If they had continued to produce new models with higher resolution, they would be better than anything currently on the market. As it is, the Eye-Trek 700 is state-of-the-art circa 1999. A lot has changed since then, sadly!
suckmysound
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by suckmysound »

ShawmK wrote:Hi, and thanks!

It's really difficult to do a direct comparison of the Olympus and the Headplay, because they are from different generations (in technology terms) and both are now out-of-date when compared to the models currently on the market. Both units have good points and bad points, so on one level it depends on what issues are most important for your needs.
The Olympus has the better optics by far and is (I think) more comfortable to wear. On the other hand, the Headplay has much higher resolution and better colours. Also the Headplay has 3D capabilities; the Olympus is 2D only.

I'll try to address your questions in turn:

The Headplay is definitely better in terms of colour and saturation. It uses an LCoS display that produces very rich colours and an extremely sharp image. That is, without question, the best feature of the Headplay: the images look really good. The Olympus uses a pair of LCD displays which look washed-out by comparison. They also suffer from the "screen-door" effect you usually get with lower-resolution LCDs.
On the other hand, the Olympus gives you much more control over the image: there is an onscreen menu that will let you make very precise adjustments, and you can save different custom settings for different inputs. The unit will remember your specific settings for PAL, NTSC or PC signals.

There isn't a huge difference in the FOV between these two models. The Olympus FOV is slightly larger, but the Headplay has a much higher resolution. Remember, the Olympus is from the late 1990's, while the Headplay was released in 2007.

There is definitely less eye-strain with the Eye-Trek - as long as you can get it positioned comfortably, and that will vary from person to person. The problem with the Olympus design is that the unit itself is quite bulky and heavy, and most of that weight is resting on your nose. I found that the most comfortable way to wear the Olympus was to remove the ear-pieces (easily done) and use an elastic head-band instead. That made it much more comfortable, and also easier to position correctly.

The biggest obstacle to using the Olympus for hours on end is the Health-And-Safety warning they have built in. When you switch on the unit, you get this alarming message:

WARNING: TO PREVENT
SERIOUS INJURY
SEE MANUAL FOR SAFETY
INFORMATION BEFORE
USING.
MAY DISTURB VISION,
BALANCE OR HAND-EYE
COORDINATION.
NOT FOR USE BY
CHILDREN UNDER 16.
PRESS OK TO CONTINUE.

The display will then shut itself down automatically after two and a half hours, although you can just switch it right back on again... ;)

No contest: The Eye-Trek has far better optics than the Headplay.
The optics are actually the biggest problem on the Headplay; there is just no way to get the entire image exactly in focus, and if you move the unit even slightly, you can easily lose the entire image. The Eye-Trek has some of the best optics I have ever seen on a consumer HMD - but I guess that isn't surprising from a company like Olympus. If the image resolution wasn't so low by modern standards, the FMD-700 would still be one of the best HMDs out there, just for the quality of the optics.

You can't really compare this, because the Headplay has a native resolution of 800x600. The Eye-Trek has 180,000 pixels (compare that to the 640x480 Vuzix, which boasts 920,000 pixels). I can't really imagine using the Eye-Trek as a computer monitor; the resolution is just too low to read pages of text, sadly.

I've only tried the Emagin on one occasion - and that unit turned out to be faulty - so I'm not sure about that. Maybe someone else knows?

I'm really sorry that Olympus abandoned the Eye-Trek range. If they had continued to produce new models with higher resolution, they would be better than anything currently on the market. As it is, the Eye-Trek 700 is state-of-the-art circa 1999. A lot has changed since then, sadly!

thank u so much ShawmK that was a lof of information and very helpful indeed !
i am starting to get the hang of this thing now.

so far headplay only that too occasionally as my friend is mean enough not to lend me for longer period - always too occupied with 'fpv'

I am trying to build up collection just like u have.

I know it will take time but you are the 'inspiration' for me .

Palmer has confirmed that optics are great on all olympus HMDs despite low res - they are great !

a few more questions please :

my usage : 2D movie viewing from AV and PC source.

(1) so if i tweak the image using the menu controls / OSR [on] on eye-trek fmd-700 - does it get any better than that of headplay in terms of color , hue , saturation , contrast etc ?

(2)is the image at least watchable using OSR [on] from PC ?

(3)as per ur reply to my message - do u think vuzix 1200 has better image Q over eye-trek fmd-700 ?

(4)Wrap 920 is selling for usd$199 so in terms of res it beats FMD-700 hollow but i guess the unit has small exit pupil so optics is better on fmd-700

ShawmK - can u arrange in terms [good to bad] the following - wrap920,wrap1200,cinemizer plus,eye-trek fmd-700 in terms of overall comfort [optics+res.] for video watching - it will be a lot trickier this time ;)

await your kind reply
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Hey,

I'll do my best, but remember, a lot of this is very subjective!

(1) so if i tweak the image using the menu controls / OSR [on] on eye-trek fmd-700 - does it get any better than that of headplay in terms of color , hue , saturation , contrast etc ?

The Headplay still wins in terms of colour and contrast. Whichever way you cut it, an LCoS screen looks better than an LCD screen.

The image is definitely watchable for playing videos, but not for web browsing, or anything that might involve reading text.

(3)as per ur reply to my message - do u think vuzix 1200 has better image Q over eye-trek fmd-700 ?

Again, it's hard to compare them directly - twelve years of technology stands between them.
The Vuzix has much higher resolution, and a 16:9 display. It can also accept 720p input (component or VGA) and it can do side-by-side 3D.
The Olympus has really good optics, but that is essentially its only advantage today.
The lenses on the Wrap 1200 are its major weakness (apart from the fact that Sony and SMD have both released HD, HDMI-enabled models). I personally find that the only way I can use the 1200 is by removing the nose-piece completely. That improves the image dramatically, but it makes it less comfortable to wear. The actual display of the 1200 is pretty good. If you are using it for DVDs or Standard-def television, the quality is fine.

(4)Wrap 920 is selling for usd$199 so in terms of res it beats FMD-700 hollow but i guess the unit has small exit pupil so optics is better on fmd-700

The biggest problem with the 920 (discussed at length elsewhere) is the uneven contrast across the two displays. The image tended to darken considerably at the edges of the displays, and it did that in opposite directions in the left and right images - producing a very annoying effect.
For me, the biggest single improvement with the 1200 model was the fact that they solved that problem completely. For that reason alone, the Wrap 1200 is significantly better than the 920.
Yes, the Olympus has better lenses than either of them, but the resolution is so much lower that I can't imagine finding it very useful today. Especially since true-HD models are starting to appear.

ShawmK - can u arrange in terms [good to bad] the following - wrap920,wrap1200,cinemizer plus,eye-trek fmd-700 in terms of overall comfort [optics+res.] for video watching - it will be a lot trickier this time

- The Wrap 1200 is the model I am currently using as my primary HMD. It certainly isn't perfect, but on balance it has the features that are most useful to me, and the resolution is certainly good enough for watching video. (854x480 is resolution you see on most pico projectors.) The problem right now is that it's already obsolete, thanks to Sony and SMD. If it was $200 cheaper it would be a good bargain, but not for the price they currently want...

- The Cinemizer Plus is more comfortable to wear than the Vuzix 920, but the Cinemizer accepts composite video only. No VGA - not even S-video, so connecting it to a PC is out of the question. I think the image contrast on the Cinemizer is a bit better, but there really isn't much between them.
I was optimistic about the new Cinemizer model for a while, but the published specs are disappointing. They also said it would be shipping in July, and that now seems unlikely!

- I would have to put the Olympus 700 in last place just because of its age. It was incredible in the late 90's, but technology has moved on significantly since then. If this makes any sense, I would say that the Olympus was a better product then than the Vuzix is now.
suckmysound
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by suckmysound »

ShawmK wrote:Hey,

I'll do my best, but remember, a lot of this is very subjective!

The Headplay still wins in terms of colour and contrast. Whichever way you cut it, an LCoS screen looks better than an LCD screen.

The image is definitely watchable for playing videos, but not for web browsing, or anything that might involve reading text.

Again, it's hard to compare them directly - twelve years of technology stands between them.
The Vuzix has much higher resolution, and a 16:9 display. It can also accept 720p input (component or VGA) and it can do side-by-side 3D.
The Olympus has really good optics, but that is essentially its only advantage today.
The lenses on the Wrap 1200 are its major weakness (apart from the fact that Sony and SMD have both released HD, HDMI-enabled models). I personally find that the only way I can use the 1200 is by removing the nose-piece completely. That improves the image dramatically, but it makes it less comfortable to wear. The actual display of the 1200 is pretty good. If you are using it for DVDs or Standard-def television, the quality is fine.

The biggest problem with the 920 (discussed at length elsewhere) is the uneven contrast across the two displays. The image tended to darken considerably at the edges of the displays, and it did that in opposite directions in the left and right images - producing a very annoying effect.
For me, the biggest single improvement with the 1200 model was the fact that they solved that problem completely. For that reason alone, the Wrap 1200 is significantly better than the 920.
Yes, the Olympus has better lenses than either of them, but the resolution is so much lower that I can't imagine finding it very useful today. Especially since true-HD models are starting to appear.

ShawmK - can u arrange in terms [good to bad] the following - wrap920,wrap1200,cinemizer plus,eye-trek fmd-700 in terms of overall comfort [optics+res.] for video watching - it will be a lot trickier this time

- The Wrap 1200 is the model I am currently using as my primary HMD. It certainly isn't perfect, but on balance it has the features that are most useful to me, and the resolution is certainly good enough for watching video. (854x480 is resolution you see on most pico projectors.) The problem right now is that it's already obsolete, thanks to Sony and SMD. If it was $200 cheaper it would be a good bargain, but not for the price they currently want...

- The Cinemizer Plus is more comfortable to wear than the Vuzix 920, but the Cinemizer accepts composite video only. No VGA - not even S-video, so connecting it to a PC is out of the question. I think the image contrast on the Cinemizer is a bit better, but there really isn't much between them.
I was optimistic about the new Cinemizer model for a while, but the published specs are disappointing. They also said it would be shipping in July, and that now seems unlikely!

- I would have to put the Olympus 700 in last place just because of its age. It was incredible in the late 90's, but technology has moved on significantly since then. If this makes any sense, I would say that the Olympus was a better product then than the Vuzix is now.
ShawmK - million thanks for making me get clear understanding now
So what i can make out from above [good to bad - overall]
vuzix 1200(vr) > wrap 1200(vr)>cinemizer + > fmd-700 olympus

well vuzix 1200 is NOT available anywhere for usd$300-400 else very pricey , fmd-700 [usd$315 shipping included] seems just ok bargain at the cost of resolution only.

So i guess i need to look for sony glasstron s700e [800x600] which seems way better than the above headsets- last time it sold for usd550 on ebay - never saw that even again being traded anywhere , which was too much for me to pay.

All i want is to save usd800 [st1080/hmz] and find a decent alternative at the cost of FOV / resolution as both are 'immature' headsets as of now and to add insult to injury - pricey as well.

if nothing works - i will try to find a headplay @ chaep bargain.

once again thank u so much ShawmK - you have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable.
suckmysound
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by suckmysound »

Hi ShawmK

lastly one more request for u if i am not bothering u.

can u post the screen-shot of the video 'still' from FMD-700 so that i'd get idea about the image q - LCD vs LCoS ? [i know headplay has very small exit pupil so it's NOt easy taking a photo from it]

just need some idea regd. the image Q of fmd-700 [ i guess u still have fmd-700]

waiting for ur response
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

I've had a go at taking a photo, but the image is not really representative of what you see when wearing the unit.

For what it's worth, here it is:

This is the FMD 700 connected to my laptop via VGA, at 800x600. The colours are not quite as washed out as they are in the photo, but this gives you a very vague idea.

As a comparison, here is a (16:9) DVD grab from the Vuzix Wrap 1200 (with the "low-battery" icon in the upper right corner):

The colours are better in real life with both displays, and the interference patterns you see are the result of the camera. It really is very hard to photograph the image inside an HMD!

The colours are deeper in the Vuzix, and there is definitely more detail (the resolution is much higher) even though the Olympus has the better lenses.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you are going for cheap, have you considered the Vuzix Wrap 310? It sells for around $150 on eBay. Not the greatest quality, or largest FOV, but it has modern 3D support (SBS) and works well for playing video off an iPod/iPhone. It can't be used with a computer, though, its just for playing video mainly.
suckmysound
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by suckmysound »

ShawmK wrote:I've had a go at taking a photo, but the image is not really representative of what you see when wearing the unit.

For what it's worth, here it is:

This is the FMD 700 connected to my laptop via VGA, at 800x600. The colours are not quite as washed out as they are in the photo, but this gives you a very vague idea.

As a comparison, here is a (16:9) DVD grab from the Vuzix Wrap 1200 (with the "low-battery" icon in the upper right corner):

The colours are better in real life with both displays, and the interference patterns you see are the result of the camera. It really is very hard to photograph the image inside an HMD!

The colours are deeper in the Vuzix, and there is definitely more detail (the resolution is much higher) even though the Olympus has the better lenses.

ShawmK - you are simply great - what a nice place to get advice regd. HMDs

Now i realize the diff. between LCD[fmd-700] and LCoS screens [[vuzix]

ShawmK, Definitely the image detail in fmd-700 phote is less - but do u think the colors irritate u compared with vuzix ?
secondly - i believe exit pupil of vuzix 1200 seems good since the photo of vuzix is great - wht do u think ?
cybereality wrote:If you are going for cheap, have you considered the Vuzix Wrap 310? It sells for around $150 on eBay. Not the greatest quality, or largest FOV, but it has modern 3D support (SBS) and works well for playing video off an iPod/iPhone. It can't be used with a computer, though, its just for playing video mainly.

cybereality - great advice! my friend but the issue is i do not wanna go below 35FOV as this FOV is great for movies , does not strain while looking around the image and the details are good. fov 26-30 - image detail gets lost rest everything remains.

for me, for 2D 35<= fov<50 is ok as long as colors are full blown / contrast is good with nice image detail without eye-strain.

emagin are way to expensive - usd1200 and above .

what a frustration this HMD thing is - finding a decent fov 35 HMD for 2D even ! if only i'd have been able to design it myself - now the hope is on 'rift', i hope it comes out for order and be the death nail for all existing consumer HMDs !

I cannot find vuzix 1200 for usd$200-350 anywhere - usd$499 is too much for me to pay when the res. is not even SVGA[800x600]
I do not see it on vuzix Europe,Japan , auction sites etc - only on USA for usd$499 .

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”