ASUS Wavi

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: ASUS Wavi

Post by pierreye »

Manage to power both transmitter and receiver around 2.5 hours. Should be good for at least 2.5 hours gaming.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

PalmerTech wrote:I will try my Asus WiCast as soon as I can to see if it supports 720p 3D 60hz. I also have two other WHDI units on the way (Made by BriteView and HP), I will test with those as well.

My WiCast does a lot better than the Wavi, it sounds like. I can get 60 or 70 feet, even with a wall in the way!
Can't wait to hear your review on these! If these others can transmit full HD at a greater distance, that would be awesome.
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

IOGEAR has a device like this launching soon:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=13951" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Dismantle the ASUS WAVI today due to some intermitent transmission issue and I found out actually the receiver board is quite small about 1/3 size of the casing. The other 2/3 actually is occupy by wireless USB PCB. Also found out that the intermitent transmission issue is due to the heatsink is not mounted properly on the chip maybe due to heat. I remove the wireless HDMI pcb board from the ASUS WAVI casing and mount it to a smaller ADSL plastic casing, remount the headsink and found out I got better range around 20ft from the transmitter before the video quality start to degrade. Another advantage is less power consumption as I remove the 12v and 5v power supply to the wireless USB board.

Next mod would be removing HMZ-T1 AC transformer, mount a DC-DC stepdown regulator that will take 8v-40v in and output at 5v 3A. Then mount both HMZ-T1 control box and ASUS WAVI wireless HDMI PCB into a bigger plastic casing as one unit.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Great idea. Longer range, less bulk, and longer battery life. Sounds like a win-win situation.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

pierreye wrote:Dismantle the ASUS WAVI today due to some intermitent transmission issue and I found out actually the receiver board is quite small about 1/3 size of the casing. The other 2/3 actually is occupy by wireless USB PCB. Also found out that the intermitent transmission issue is due to the heatsink is not mounted properly on the chip maybe due to heat. I remove the wireless HDMI pcb board from the ASUS WAVI casing and mount it to a smaller ADSL plastic casing, remount the headsink and found out I got better range around 20ft from the transmitter before the video quality start to degrade. Another advantage is less power consumption as I remove the 12v and 5v power supply to the wireless USB board.

Next mod would be removing HMZ-T1 AC transformer, mount a DC-DC stepdown regulator that will take 8v-40v in and output at 5v 3A. Then mount both HMZ-T1 control box and ASUS WAVI wireless HDMI PCB into a bigger plastic casing as one unit.
Awesome work! If at all possible get alot of detailed pics while your doing all this to help others in the future.
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
pierreye
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by pierreye »

Here's the photo. Removing the board is simple. Just take out the casing, remove 2 screws and the power cable to wireless USB board.
Comparison.jpg
Size comparison.
shrinkdown.jpg
Reducing the size and weight.
DC-DC converter.jpg
DC to DC converter. 8v-40v input, 5v, 3amp output. You can get this from ebay.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Nice.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”