How good is the Wrap920?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

How good is the Wrap920?

Post by korneoliskohan »

I'm sort of torn between getting a 920 or a projector (once tax breaks come in), projector would run at about 450e while I can get a wrap 920 from ebay for 220e. At that price its quite a bargain, but I still wonder if its worth the money? The wrap has no head tracking, but I don't see that as a problem as the razer hydra should simulate/control the view quite well. I suppose the biggest question is whether you can read in games? Can you play a game like mass effect and see what dialog options you select? Also, how high can you crank up the depth/3d effect? I've never used a HMD, but I'd gather that you can drive it much higher then a monitor, because there would not be any ghosting because both eyes _really_ see different images and theres no way you can mess that up.

So which one would you suggest? in summary, I'd like more depth in gaming/a better experience then a 22" screen can give.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: How good is the Wrap920?

Post by cybereality »

Go with the projector if you can afford it. It will look far more impressive in general. If you are on a budget or don't have the space, then an HMD is still pretty cool. I am excited about the Vuzix Wrap 1200VR, and plan to buy one later this month. So HMDs can be worth it, but just not as cool as a good 3D projector. Also, what projector are you looking at and what are your system specs?
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Something HD ready, depends on whats on sale in november. I read tritosines sig with the 'ad' for LED projectors, so I figured that'd be a good idea. Dual core with HD6870 is the system.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Do you have a 3D monitor already? If so, which one?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

korneoliskohan wrote:I read tritosines sig with the 'ad' for LED projectors, so I figured that'd be a good idea.
This projector is not out yet and with only a 500 ANSI lumens output I seriously doubt it will be the panacea for 3D. You'd better wait for someone to write a review about it before considering purchase.

The Acer H5360 and the Optoma HD67n have been tried and tested and for now they are the best offers in 720p 3D projectors.

And btw, take what tritosine says with a pince of salt, he's not exactly known to give the best advices here...
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I would recommend getting an HDMI 1.4a projector as that will have the widest compatibility. Right now thats only the Acer H5360BD but maybe others will be out by years end.
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

I've got a Viewsonic 22" FuhZion (vx2268 or something) already. But I need to buy the edimensional dongle to make it work with this card. The actual purchase depends a _lot_ on whats on sale around christmas, as the tax returns make the whole purchase possible. Unless there's something special on sale, I'll opt for the cheapest (450e or so currently) on amazon. That'd be something like a HD600x or a DW318 (IIRC the model numbers). But yeah, hdmi would be nice as the ATI support could be painful. I have no plans to hook up BD players or PS3 to this, I'm pretty satisfied with PC gaming.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Do some research first, because not all 3d projectors will work with all systems. If you just go with the cheapest you might get burned.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You should know that if you go the HDMI 1.4 route you'll be limited to the use of DLP-Link glasses, which provide a lower quality image than IR glasses (3D Vision or others). You'll loose contrast, the black levels will be much greyer and the colors won't be good (blue shift).

If you don't have other choices because of compatibility you can still retain this solution, but if you can make IR glasses work with your setup you should choose this solution. And the H5360BD is more expensive than its non HDMI 1.4 equivalent too (the H5360).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Fredz: Yes that is true. I am just trying to recommend something that will surely work, since I know a lot of people have had problems with projectors. But compatibility seems to be improving.

Anyway, there is a short list of AMD HD3D compatible projectors here (not complete):
http://www.amd.com/us/products/technolo ... dware.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise do a search on the iz3D forums to see if they have provided support.

EDIT: Seems like people are saying the ACER H5360 works with iz3d, so that is the one i recommend.
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Cool, thanks all! I'll start reading reviews/forums properly once the time to purchase one gets closer. I'm fairly confident that I could hack hd600x to work on ATI, but maybe the tip to use H5360 for an easier life is a good one.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”