Eyefinity with 3 projectors

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Eyefinity with 3 projectors

Post by korneoliskohan »

Hi all,

I was wondering what the obstacles are to having a setup of 3 3d projectors in an eyefinity setup? Display/glasses sync? Displayport->HDMI adapters don't work with 3d?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Eyefinity with 3 projectors

Post by cybereality »

I am not sure there is a way to get 3x 3D projectors supported with Eyefinity at the moment. Maybe if they were HDMI 1.4a, though I'm not even sure about that.
skrubol
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by skrubol »

This is definitely doable with 3dvision surround. Options for edge blending aren't great. As long as you go with 3 (2 won't work,) and they're 3dvision compatible. Plus you need 2 nVidia cards in SLI or a dual-GPU card with 3 outputs.
korneoliskohan
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by korneoliskohan »

Unfortunately I'm stuck in ATI land. And I couldn't run two cards without revamping my setup, which I won't be doing. So nobody has experience with displayport->hdmi adapters? I mean eyefinity should be able to span a game across three screens no problem, but the biggest obstacle I can see is making the projectors work via displayport ports. Maybe I'm wrong though.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

I'm not recommending an Eyefinity setup with projectors, nobody tested it yet and there's a high chance it won't work.

The possibility of making such a system work will depend on the type of projectors.
If they are hdmi1.4a projectors, then it's a clear no : it's not doable at the moment for two reasons :
-there is no currently available DisplayPort 3D --> hdmi1.4a converter.
-we have absolutely no idea if Eyefinity and HD3D work together (AMD never announced anything regarding these two technologies working simultaneously)

If the projectors are DLP-link, then there is a possibility of making it work, however nobody has tested it yet : I have no idea if HD3D accepts to output 120Hz frame sequential on an Eyefinity setup (the probability is higher than hdmi1.4a but it's not 100%). I'm also expecting a very high chance that Display-Port based output will have a delay due to the DP-->hdmi active converter. This delay is completely unknown, it might be anything like less than microseconds (no problem) all the way up to an entire frame (fixable), or anything in between (not fixable).
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I did hear that the new Deus Ex will support 3D Eyefinity, but I have no idea what is necessary to do this.

Return to “3D Projectors”