Solutions for older games? (DirectX 5 - 7)

chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Solutions for older games? (DirectX 5 - 7)

Post by chilledsanity »

Since Nvidia's previous drivers are officially dying a slow death, I'm wondering if there's any hope for S-3D in older games say 5 years from now. I have a bunch of old games that I enjoy and still want to play and the effect in S-3D can really breathe a lot of new life into a game. However with Nvidia pulling support for general hardware, I know both iz3d and Vuzix only have driver solutions for DirectX 8 and up. I don't blame them for doing this, but I'm wondering for those of us still interested in playing these games, will there be ANY options for these in the future?

I think a 3rd party tool that render the 3D via emulation in DX 9 or OpenGL might be a possibility if one even exists. I remember using the Elsa Revelator drivers back before they supported OpenGL and found a tool to translate OpenGL games into Direct3D. It ran slowly, but it worked. Does anything similar exist for older versions of DirectX today? Or do any companies have plans to eventually extend their support to older versions of DirectX? Or am I just screwed?

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”