LG D2342P-PN vs Zalman M240WGD

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
mindthomas
One Eyed Hopeful

LG D2342P-PN vs Zalman M240WGD

Post by mindthomas »

Hi everybody.
I'm new in this forum, but I have worked with 3D for a long time - though I've never had a 3D LCD before.
I've tried (and returned) the eDimensional 3D Glasses because of the bad quality and lack of support. That review can be found here: http://blog.tkjelectronics.dk/2010/04/e ... es-review/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyways, now I'm looking for a real 3D monitor, and I think I'm going to get a Passive one, as I then don't have to buy those expensive shutter glasses (nVidia 3D Vision fx).
Currently I have an Intel i5 processor and an ATI Readeon HD 4890 graphics card.
I have been looking at the following two models:
  • LG D2342P-PN - 23" Passive 3D LCD from LG
  • ZM-M240WGD - 24" Passive 3D LCD from Zalman
I have been searching this forum and people seems to like the Zalman models very much, though the viewing angle is the limiting factor.
The LG model seems to have some good reviews too in this forum, and that is why I'm asking - also because of the price difference.

The retail price of the LG D2342P-PN in Denmark is $486,99 USD
While the retail price of the ZM-M240WGD is $516,25 USD
Though I have got an offer to buy a DEMO model of the ZM-M240WGD, which has only been used slightly to show the customers the 3D experience, for $370,51 USD

So my questions is now whether I should go for the DEMO model, or for the LG retail model. They say that the DEMO model comes without accesories and packaging, so if that means it comes without 3D glasses, I'm screwed (or can you use those RealD glasses, or other similar Polarized 3D glasses)?

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: LG D2342P-PN vs Zalman M240WGD

Post by cybereality »

For that price I would probably get the demo Zalman (unless its been through a war or something). I've got the 22" Zalman, and I do like it. To be honest, the small viewing angles are a little annoying, and you do end up with ghosting at times, but overall it is a good experience. I like that it is widely supported for both gaming and video. It works with Nvidia drivers, DDD and IZ3D for gaming. Its supported natively by games like Avatar. It works with PowerDVD and TotalMedia Theater for Blu-Ray 3D. Supported by Stereoscopic Player, YouTube3D, Phereo, Magix Movie Edit Pro 17, etc. etc. No other device has as good software support for 3D. The LG will also work with all of that stuff, except the Nvidia 3D driver. Also, you can buy extra Zalman glasses online, model number is "ZM-SG100G" just check eBay. Otherwise you can also use RealD compatible glasses, but they don't work as good as Zalman brand.
mindthomas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mindthomas »

Thank you for your response.
Are there any of theese 3D softwares bundled with the monitor itself, or would you have to buy that apart from the monitor?
Also what do you think about the glossiness of the display? Isn't that annoying?
Do you know if the LG has the same glossiness, or is less glossy?

Last but not least, the limited viewing angle on the Zalman, does that mean that you can't sit 2 or 3 besides eachother and watch a 3D movie fx?

Thomas
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Zalman usually comes with a version of the Stereoscopic Player, but it is an older version. The program is pretty cheap though, and worth buying. It will play 3D videos and images, pretty much anything except Blu-Ray 3D. Most of the other software is stuff you need to buy, but none of it is really expensive.

The glossy is nice in the sense that blacks look good, but it is a little annoying. I liked it at first, but now I would rather have a matte screen. No idea what the LG is like.

The limited angles on the Zalman is mainly vertical (up and down). You basically need to be on perfect eye level to see the 3D effect. Horizontally (left and right) the angle is wider and could allow for maybe 2 or 3 people to view, provided they are all on the same eye level (meaning same height, sitting in the same type of chairs, etc.). Otherwise certain people will get a better experience. This is probably the biggest complaint of mine, and why I would hesitate to buy a monitor like this in the future.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

LG screen is non glossy
LG monitor is packed with DDD licence drivers you don require to buy it.
two viewers can view comfortably if both are in same horizontal view point.
mindthomas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mindthomas »

Today I got the Zalman monitor, unfortunately the Polarisation glass infront of the monitor was broken a bit in the bottom.
Even thought the monitor was a DEMO model, it looks in very good condition, no scratches at all. Unfortunately I am going to send it back because of the broken screen, and then I will only get my money back, not a new screen, because it was a DEMO model :(

Though I've had the opportunity to test the display, because the display works fine, and 3D works everywhere, except for the part where the polarizer is broken.
I already had the TriDef software installed because of the eDimensional glasses I had. So I tried playing GTA4, where something odd happened. The contrast in the right eye was lower than the contrast in the left eye = right eye image was darker.
But in other games everything is working fine - I've tried CSS, TF2, COD-MW2 and others.

I can confirm that the viewing angle is limited, but I have managed to look two persons at the screen on the same time - even using a RealD pair (if ghosting appears, it is violet :P)
The limited viewing angle happens because of the polarizer overlay, which just blocks the view to the pixel behind - just like the black lines of the transparent sheets in your tutorial cybereality.
Instead they should have placed the polarizer between the backlight and the LCD, but it's a lot more difficult to design and manufacture.

Now when I'm going to send it back, I'll have to decide whether I'm going to buy a new one (expensive), or the LG model instead, which is a bit less expensive.
What do you think? :)

Best Regards
Thomas Jespersen
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Sorry that unit didn't work out for you. I guess it worked enough for you to see how it operates. At least in terms of the kind of 3D effect you get, and the issues with ghosting and viewing angles. If that seemed to be a problem, then you may want to get the Nvidia 3D Vision kit, which does have some ghosting (depending on monitor) but does not have those issues with the viewing angle. I hear the Planar SA2311W is the best available. It sells for around $400. Then you could get the wired Nvidia 3D Vision glasses for $99. Still a little pricey, but not horrible. Otherwise, I'd say check out that LG model, if you liked the quality of the passive 3D monitors.
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

I prefer the LG because it has HDMI 1.4a so you are not stuck with PC.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Moreover this monitor works absoultely fine even with Corei5's internal graphic if you are ok with low details DDD drivers are absolutly no mess and working almost good with most of the best titles

UPDATE:
I have also tried its HDMI (1.4a) port with my friend's PS3 (old one 40GB) & played Mortal Kombat PS3 2011 version in 3D every thing worked just fine.

Go for D2342P its best 300$ can buy

Return to “3D Monitors”