Some guidance needed

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
jaden
One Eyed Hopeful

Some guidance needed

Post by jaden »

Hello all, I'm new to 3d and have some questions to help guide me when making a purchase.

Currently I have my PC hooked up to my 46" HDTV and use it primarily for gaming and HD movies. I've been trying to learn the most on 3D setups so that I get the best experience possible. Watching movies in 3D sounds amazing but what I really want to check out is 3D gaming, so this is what I'll be using it for most of the time. I do however watch a lot of movies with my wife so making sure she has a comfortable experience is also part of my goal. Recently we watched The Green Lantern in REAL3D and she complained about 30 minutes into the movie, saying it made her dizzy and gave her headaches. I couldn't take my eyes off the screen, I loved it! So this is where my questions start:

Is viewing 3D a lot more comfortable at home on a 3DTV with Shutter Glasses?
Also, I'm a little confused when it comes to the shutter glasses and compatibility with a PC. When gaming on a 3DTV can I use the glasses that come with the TV or do I have to purchase the Nvidia 3D Stereo Glasses Kit with Emitter since I use an Nvidia 570

Would I get a better experience from a monitor or a TV? I've seen 23" monitors advertised for around $350-$500, some even include the Nvidia kit with glasses and emitter (again, do I need this kit?). But with TV prices dropping wouldn't it be a wise to purchase a TV for a larger viewing experience?
Do certain TVs offer the option for one viewer to watch content in 3D with glasses and the other viewer to watch content in 2D at the same time?

Any information regarding these questions would be much appreciated
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Some guidance needed

Post by cybereality »

Some people may find 3D uncomfortable, and this could even be an indication of a larger problem with their vision. A friend of mine's girlfriend used to complain about getting headaches often, in particular when they would see 3D movies. She finally went to an eye doctor and it turned out that she needed glasses (she never wore them before or knew she needed them). After she got the glasses the headaches stopped. Also, if you are inexperienced with 3D, sometimes it can be uncomfortable at first. This can go away after a little while.

I find 3D to be comfortable most of the time, although with extreme settings and bigger screens this can be a problem. Even for someone with years of experience. Usually a smaller screen will be easier to focus on than a larger one, but it also depends on the content (for example a 3D game where the settings are user adjustable). Most movies will be easy on the eyes, though. I find passive polarized glasses to be more comfortable that active shutter glasses. But its not a huge difference.

If you use Nvidia, then you will probably want to use the Nvidia 3D Vision drivers (not necessarily the 3D Vision glasses). For 3D HDTVs then you would use the Nvidia 3DTV Play software, which will support most HDMI 1.4a TVs (which pretty much all recent 3D tvs are). Then you will use the glasses that are made for your TV. For a Sony TV those are Sony glasses, for Panasonic it is Panasonic glasses. The Nvidia glasses are mainly for 120Hz PC monitors.

An HDTV will be a better experience, especially for movies, because of the bigger size. However for gaming, HDTVs can only do 720P in 3D mode. So a 120Hz monitor will look better since it can game at 1080P. With passive TVs you can have one viewer see 3D and another see 2D. Both people have to wear glasses, though. They are called "No-D Glasses" ( http://www.berezin.com/3d/3dglasses.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) and will also work at the RealD movie theaters. Though I would probably first spend the money on a trip to the optometrist before I bought those glasses.

What I would recommend for you is a passive 3D HDTV. There are ones from Vizio starting at under $500:
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-Class-Theat ... B004T1YAEI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jaden
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Some guidance needed

Post by jaden »

Thank you for the reply + links. You have given me some really good information that will help me when making my purchase.

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”