Is Headplay now completely dead?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Is Headplay now completely dead?

Post by ShawmK »

Does anyone have any information about the company that made the Headplay HMD?

I've just noticed that their website is completely gone. Although it hadn't been updated for awhile, the site was still there last time I looked - now there is no trace of it.

When did they finally shut down? Does anyone know the details?

Shame; the Headplay had a lot of things going for it.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Is Headplay now completely dead?

Post by Fredz »

Their site was last crawled by the Wayback Machine in 22 April 2009 and has been crawled 10 times in 2009, so I guess it's the year since when they're missing :
http://wayback.archive.org/web/*/http:/ ... dplay.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is their website archive from the last crawl, without the images most of the time and with some pages probably missing :
http://web.archive.org/web/200904222253 ... dplay.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;?
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

Thanks for that.

I guess they won't be releasing any more software updates!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

From what I have heard/put together from bits and pieces, might be some factual errors:

Headplay ran out of money a long, long time ago. First, they had to cut their customer support staff, and then they cut their repair staff, so the only way they could help you out was to ship you a whole new unit. One of the founders of the company ended up with an enormous number of Headplay units stored in his own house after the company shut down, and they were sold very slowly, recouping some of the losses of the company. After a while, the creditors decided that this was not the best way to get their money back, and seized all the remaining units, to put them in the hands of a liquidation company. This liquidation company was able to make a deal with Dell, and they sold a large number of units with a mere 90 day warranty for between $100 and $150 each (I got one of these units). Presumably, there are no large stocks of new Headplay units left in existence.

From what I know to be fact:

Headplay has a patent on their very interesting single panel design. They are actively looking for buyers, at a $1,000,000 price tag. Nobody has taken them up on this yet, however.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes. Dead.
Okta

Post by Okta »

PalmerTech wrote:
Headplay has a patent on their very interesting single panel design. They are actively looking for buyers, at a $1,000,000 price tag. Nobody has taken them up on this yet, however.
I hope someone takes this up because their 1 panel tech is amazing and has teh potential for lower cost hmd's. Pitty its a 1 million ask because that is a big block in that path.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

The Headplay had an excellent display, but I can't imagine anyone paying a million dollars for the patent. Apart from everything else, micro-displays are becoming much more common and much cheaper; I doubt if an electronics company would worry too much about the cost of building a headset with two displays.

It's a shame that Headplay couldn't succeed as a business venture - it doesn't send an encouraging message to other companies making HMDs.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

yes, single microdisplay can drive 2 wedge type lens for time sequential laser 500hz coolness. No need for 2 microdisplays. Iphone5 is coming with something better than that latest displayport too.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

tritosine2k wrote:yes, single microdisplay can drive 2 wedge type lens for time sequential laser 500hz coolness. No need for 2 microdisplays. Iphone5 is coming with something better than that latest displayport too.
What in the world are you talking about? :lol:
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

you never saw apple patents and never heard of apple thunderbolt rumors right? Dudes this site is so strange sometimes I dunno where I'm at!

Another nail in the time parallel coffin. ^^

If you could choose , say , single 21:9 microdisplay with high res, versus dual 16:9 microdisplay with lower res, which one would you choose? Theres no wayy I'd choose dual microdisplay.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

I remember seeing that Apple patent application over three years ago - is there any evidence that Apple has been following up with anything? Since then there have been four iPhones, two iPads, lord knows how many iPod variations, but no iGlasses that I have seen.

I wish they would release an HMD. Since everything Apple does is automatically Cool, it might finally silence all the reviewers and bloggers who smirk and make snide remarks about looking like Geordie LaForge.
Last edited by ShawmK on Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

yes sooner or later they have to tap into that!

Most ppl don't know the fact that LCD is E-waste number one right now, compared to self assembling bioelectronics, eventual e-paper, sure , LCD is a colossal e-waste IMO.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

There are rumors that iPad3 is glasses-free 3D. I could believe that. Glasses are just too dorky, even for Apple to make cool. But if anyone could, it would be them.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

now I think apple wants augmented reality too
ShawmK
Cross Eyed!

Post by ShawmK »

cybereality wrote: Glasses are just too dorky, even for Apple to make cool. But if anyone could, it would be them.
This is something I find very bizarre.

Everyone around the world seems completely comfortable with the idea of listening to music through headphones or earbuds. On any bus, commuter train, coffee shop or living room in any part of the world, it is completely normal to see people with a pair of speakers strapped to their ears; no one gives it a second thought.

As soon as you start talking about Video Glasses, however, everyone screams "Nerd" and starts to laugh and make stupid remarks. I can't help thinking that if headphones were only now being introduced to the public, there would be just as much ridicule aimed at them. As it is, you can get earbuds in funky colours to match you phone or iPod; you can get headphones designed by famous fashion labels - they have become a style accessory.

I personally think of HMDs as just the video equivalent of headphones - I love being able to watch a film (in 2D or 3D) without disturbing anyone else - but I also know that if I were to pull out the Vuzix while on the train, I would attract the (unwelcome) attention of everyone else in the car. Never mind the fact that virtually everyone else there will be juggling their expensive headphones, iPads, Laptops, Blackberrys, Kindles etc. it will always be the Video Glasses that people notice, because they are not considered Normal.

The same seems to be true with 3D televisions and 3D films in the cinema: most reviewers feel the need to mention the "pesky glasses" and what a big obstacle they are. I have never heard anyone say that iPods will never catch on because you have to wear "those pesky headphones".
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Not to mention that fact that hundreds of millions of people wear glasses ALL day, EVERY day, simply to have better vision. And what about reading glasses? Nobody thinks it is terrible or strange to need to wear glasses to read for hours and hours.

I think the stigma might be wearing off, now that huge and outlandish glasses seem to actually be fashionable. Add in people like Lady Gaga who wear glasses with OLED displays in them, and maybe HMDs could become mainstream someday.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Its funny, because I think something like 75% of Americans wear glasses (or contacts, etc.). In addition, a portion of the non-glass-wearing people wear sun-glasses for fashion. And no one really thinks twice about it, unless you are talking about the school-yard with bullies calling kids "four eyes" (which is basically what these bloggers amount to). But as soon as someone wears glasses as part of an electronic device, it is automatically "dorky". I personally don't think its dorky at all, in fact I think its cool. But that is not the popular consensus.

You can see some thoughts of mine on the topic here: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 08&p=29558" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

you can expect contact lens to become lot better ( anti migraine , anti epilepsy measures are in development)

and you can also expect active glasses to become lot better , for example we don't know yet , how ordinary looking better shutters can help augmented reality, but they can , 100%. Or for example with better shutters , 5 ppl can watch the same display showing entirely different programme, even 3D.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”