Animated 3D music video -- "Smitten"

Find a good S-3D side by side video on YouTube? Share it here!
simplecarnival
One Eyed Hopeful

Animated 3D music video -- "Smitten"

Post by simplecarnival »

This is a video I made as part of an eventual 40-minute "video album" for my band, The Simple Carnival ( http://www.simplecarnival.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ). This is the opening track to the album, titled "Smitten." You will need red/cyan 3D glasses to see the effect properly. (The red filter goes over your left eye.)

[youtube-hd]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHlx_F--btc[/youtube-hd]

Because this is a work-in-progress, I'd appreciate feedback on the 3D effect.

Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Animated 3D music video -- "Smitten"

Post by cybereality »

Very cool man. The girl was cute!

I would say that the 3d effect was a hit or miss. Some scenes it looks nice, but other times it seemed pretty flat. But I never felt that it hurt the video. I think the 3D rendered scenes were the best stereoscopically. I think the depth could be increased on some of the more 2D type segments (for example, by place the people at screen depth and making the background further back).

Also, do you know how to use YouTube3D? You shouldn't have any videos in anaglyph format. If you upload in side-by-side, full color, 3D, then people can choose different methods. They support anaglyph, and a variety of different displays (even Nvidia 3D Vision). You can see a guide here on how to upload:
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/b ... wer=157640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
simplecarnival
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Animated 3D music video -- "Smitten"

Post by simplecarnival »

cybereality wrote:I think the depth could be increased on some of the more 2D type segments (for example, by place the people at screen depth and making the background further back).
Thanks for the very helpful feedback, cyberreality! I think I will try this on the next video I do.
cybereality wrote:Also, do you know how to use YouTube3D? You shouldn't have any videos in anaglyph format. If you upload in side-by-side, full color, 3D, then people can choose different methods.
Yep, I discovered that halfway through the making of this video, but didn't want to change course. I wrote some custom software for exporting the left and right images out of my animation program and then combining them to an anaglyph movie (and doing other things, like having the ability to alter the convergence from frame to frame). If I put in the time, I could export the result in a side-by-side movie -- and if I end up releasing on Blu-ray, I probably will. For right now, though, I'd rather use my limited free time towards working on the actual content of the videos.

Thanks again for the feedback -- it's greatly appreciated!

Return to “Favorite Online S-3D Videos”