Just got VR920, now what?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
mcsilvio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Just got VR920, now what?

Post by mcsilvio »

Hi guys,
Just got my iwear vr920's in the mail. refurbs but they work very well and i had a bit of fun with the vuzix stereoscopic demos straight after installation. but now what?

My question really is: what are some cool, must sees that I should get?

What I am looking for:
I am really only interested in stereoscopic 3d with headtracking. I want to explore worlds (that i create or other peoples'). I am not looking for games at the moment, because I just want to slowly look around things at my own pace. But I will definitely want to try some games so please let me know which titles have good head-tracking support.

I know that all of this info is available on the forums piece by piece. I'm making this thread in hopes that someone with an overall view of the scene could gather it one place.

Rider question: Mac support is minimal right? Can I dev with headtracking and sterescopy on my macbook? or do i need the windows machine.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Just got VR920, now what?

Post by cybereality »

I had a lot of fun with some of these demos:
http://quest3d.com/index.php?id=15" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

At the time I was using the old Nvidia driver, but I imagine the iz3D might work (though I did have some issues with it). They don't support head-tracking, but they are cool just looking around relaxing stuff.

If you want something more exciting, try Unreal Tournament 2004. It has really good head-tracking support (that isn't just mouse emulation). You can look around and aim with the mouse independently. Probably not a big deal to load a map with no bots, or even build your own custom map pretty easily. I thought Crysis looked really good in 3D, although I could never get the headtracking to work. And Half-Life 2 is always a favorite.

Also, 3D videos are cool. Get a copy of the Stereoscopic Player. They have some cool test videos on their site: http://www.3dtv.at/Movies/Index_en.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mcsilvio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mcsilvio »

thanks cyber, you've been very informative in my journey into vr.
mcsilvio
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mcsilvio »

cyber could you help me once more?

im trying to figure out the drivers and the forums are not helping 100% (not getting specific info).

i am on a geforce 8600 GM (or something) on my win7 64 bit laptop.

which drivers do i need and where can i get em. i understand that i need separate video drivers and 3d drivers? both by nvidia?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I don't think the Nvidia drivers will help you. They only support the Nvidia 3D Vision glasses now. The old drivers (that used to work for VR920) are Windows XP only, and you need a 7000 series GeForce card. Anything newer will not work. Your best bet is to try the IZ3D drivers, which have a VR920 output. There is a free trial:

http://www.iz3d.com/driver" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”