ViewSonic VX2268WM with eDimensional/X3D Glasses.

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
HrmlssMrv
One Eyed Hopeful

ViewSonic VX2268WM with eDimensional/X3D Glasses.

Post by HrmlssMrv »

Hi, I was wondering if someone might be able to help me answer a few questions.

I've been using the cheap X3D LCD shutter glasses and VGA dongle with a old DLP projector to watch movies and play games in 3D for awhile now, before that I was using them with an old CRT. Recently my bulb burned out so I've been thinking of getting a 3D-ready monitor as opposed to going back to the CRT or paying more for a new bulb than I did for the projector.

The non-3D LCDs that I have seem to have some kind of polarization that prevents the X3D glasses from even seeing the screen. When you look at a screen it's either completely black or severely tinted. If you move your head the picture goes in and out, but if you turn your head completely sideways you can see the picture clearly. You can also put on a pair of RealD glasses from the theaters over the X3D's and see the picture clearly but two additional pairs on top of my prescription glasses would be less than ideal.

I've been looking at the ViewSonic VX2268WM but I'm concerned that it too may be polarized in the same way that my standard LCDs are. Short of finding a store that has one and taking my glasses down to check it out I thought I'd ask if anyone happens to have both the X3D glasses and the ViewSonic monitor, and if they work. Or are there any other 3D-Ready monitors in that price range that might work?

Eventually I'll get the 3D Vision kit but I'd rather not buy everything at once (Money!) so if I could keep using these glasses for a little longer that'd be great. I've thought of cutting the lenses from the RealD's to fit the X3D's, or just buying a new projector bulb, but it'd be nice if I could just use the ViewSonic with my glasses out of the box.

Thanks, any help is much appreciated,
Mrv.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: ViewSonic VX2268WM with eDimensional/X3D Glasses.

Post by cybereality »

If you're on the market, get a 3D projector. There are HD ones starting at around $500, even less if you don't mind a lower resolution. I would recommend the Acer H5360 (never saw it, but heard rave reviews). You can see a list of all supported models here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision- ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HrmlssMrv
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by HrmlssMrv »

Ideally I'd have a projector and a 3D-Ready monitor but right now it's one or the other. I may just breakdown and buy a new bulb.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ah, I see what you were asking now. Well that Viewsonic is supposed to be OK, but its the lowest end of 120Hz 3D monitors. Still, should be a great deal for the price. However, it may be difficult to get it to work with the eD/X3D glasses. That is because the monitor uses Dual-Link DVI and those older glasses use a VGA connection. There are ways to get the Nvidia driver to run without the official emitter, but you may have problems syncing with the glasses. It may be possible, but I can't say for sure if it could be done. Though the Nvidia glasses have recently dropped to $149, so they are as affordable as ever.

Return to “3D Monitors”