MIT Media Lab develops glasses-free HR3D (3d screens!!!!!)

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

MIT Media Lab develops glasses-free HR3D (3d screens!!!!!)

Post by yuriythebest »

This was shown on the main MTBS news page but Now there's VIDEO!!!

VIDEO!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_efgTyXQ ... r_embedded" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We've already seen plenty of glasses-free 3D HDTVs and portable devices, but a promising new technology called HR3D (High-Rank 3D) has hit the prototype phase. Engineers from MIT's Media Lab, who developed the new solution, say that it avoids compromising on screen brightness, resolution, viewing angle, and battery life, and doesn't require those pesky (and pricey) 3D glasses. HR3D uses a pair of layered LCDs to give the illusion of depth, with the top layer (or mask) displaying a variable pattern based on the image below it, so each eye sees a slightly different picture. Nintendo's 3DS uses a similar technique, but with a parallax barrier instead of a second display. The designers constructed the prototype from two Viewsonic VX2265wm displays, removing the LCDs from their housings and pulling off polarizing filters and films. We've yet to go eyes-on with HR3D, so we're a mite skeptical, but tech this promising is worth watching closely, and from every angle.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/05/04/mit- ... d-viewing/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by yuriythebest on Thu May 05, 2011 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Re: MIT Media Lab develops glasses-free HR3D

Post by yuriythebest »

Okay, since I'm awesome I took that video and made these stereopairs (not sure about the stereobase distance so made 2 with different separation)

I'm not sure if there is a sweet spot that I missed, but these pics at least seem to show massive white/black ghosting (as shown by the bright wall in the background)

EDIT: sent the youtube user of this vid a PM asking for more info about the ghosting and gave the link to this thread
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Re: MIT Media Lab develops glasses-free HR3D

Post by crim3 »

Magic :shock:
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: MIT Media Lab develops glasses-free HR3D (3d screens!!!!

Post by cybereality »

Looks a little rough, but as a proof-of-concept, it works. Would like to see how this could be used on a professional setup.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”