trying to get a good tv to use with Nvidia 3dtv Play

Don't know the first thing about S-3D? Just bought your first pair of 3D glasses? Trying to figure out what to buy? Post HERE!
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

trying to get a good tv to use with Nvidia 3dtv Play

Post by goemon »

here are my questions, and all assume i'm using nvidia 3DTV PLAY software:

1. if i buy a 3d tv that uses polarized glasses instead of shutter, does it still require a 120hz input and still has the capability of producing 60 fps in my games? heck, do any polarized glasses 3dtv's work well with nvidia's 3dtv play software?

2. there are lists of 3dtv compatible displays, lists for geforce 3d vision, lists for 3dtv play software, and more. is there a list that helps me find tv's that do 3d THE BEST way, such as taking a 120hz input, supporting 3d in a variety of resolutions and not just a certain resolution, and doing 60hz output or more during 3d play?
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: trying to get a good tv to use with Nvidia 3dtv Play

Post by bgnome »

There are NO 3D tvs that actually take a true 120Hz input that I am aware of. 3DTV Play ONLY ouptuts 720P at 60Hz and 1080P at 24Hz, the 2 mandatory 3D standards for HDMI 1.4.

1. Given the above info, you can only play in 60fps on a 3D tv only IF you are running at 720P. Any polarized 3d tv will work fine as long as it accepts hdmi 1.4. I am using a 32" Vizio E3D320VX and it works great with an EDID override.

2. I think you are confusing the capabilities of 3DTV Play and the 3D Vision drivers. 3DTV Play is only an extension of the 3D Vision driver meant to output the limited formats compatible with HDMI 1.4 3D tvs. The 3D Vision driver itself is the one that is capable of output of whatever resolution you want at full 120Hz, depending on the display. If you want a 3D tv, you will be limited to the 2 mentioned formats. If you want a display that is capable of accepting a 120Hz input, you need to look at a 3D Vision supported monitor or projector.
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

thanks for the help. so i guess with a polarized glasses tv at 60hz, if it can't take 120hz input, and each frame has to to go to one eye at a time, it's really like all i'll ever get is 30 fps in my games. so i will do as you suggest and stick with a 3d vision compatible tv.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

not exactly..
current fpr tech for passive displays limit half the vertical resolution so you are getting half the image for each eye each frame. you are still getting 60 fps motionwise, but you may see some scanline/interlace effects.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

No, you are confusing technologies. Nvidia 3D Vision and Nvidia 3DTV Play are two different things (even if they're based on the same driver). What you are looking for is HDMI 1.4 3D, which is supported by Nvidia 3DTV Play. These TVs take a 60Hz input but in a special format with both images (frame-packed). They output at 120Hz with shutter glasses (so you get 60Hz per eye). The passive TVs also use 60Hz, but at half-resolution. In any case, its 60Hz per eye. You can buy any TV that is supported by Nvidia, or even more if you want to hack it up. You can see supported TVs here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play- ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am not sure what the best TV is, but I have seen the Sony Bravia 3D sets and they look really nice. Was just playing with one today. The Panasonic Viera line is also good. If you want to go for passive, check the Vizio Theater 3D line, like bgnome has. Those are also pretty cheap.
http://www.vizio.com/lcd-hdtvs/e3d320vx.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
goemon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by goemon »

cybereality wrote:No, you are confusing technologies. Nvidia 3D Vision and Nvidia 3DTV Play are two different things (even if they're based on the same driver). What you are looking for is HDMI 1.4 3D, which is supported by Nvidia 3DTV Play. These TVs take a 60Hz input but in a special format with both images (frame-packed). They output at 120Hz with shutter glasses (so you get 60Hz per eye). The passive TVs also use 60Hz, but at half-resolution. In any case, its 60Hz per eye. You can buy any TV that is supported by Nvidia, or even more if you want to hack it up. You can see supported TVs here:
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3dtv-play- ... ments.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
i see, i guess i don't want that passive polarized technology if it will be reducing my resolution. i was just hoping for better than the shutter glasses because i didn't want my 3d experience to look darker than it should. so many 3d technologies have plusses and minuses! but i gotta have my high resolution and good frame rate.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

goemon wrote: i was just hoping for better than the shutter glasses because i didn't want my 3d experience to look darker than it should.
The Sony shutter glasses are very good in this respect. They just barely darken the image.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

theres a guy, roller11, on the nvidia forums that is really pushing checkerboard on the samsungs. if you can find one that supports it, you can use 3d vision to play at 1080p 60Hz. (as i understand it, checkerboard is still half resolution @ 120Hz, which is what DLPs use, but scales better)

Return to “I'm New To Stereoscopic 3D!”