Need help in deciding what 3D-monitor I want! (for HD3d/AMD)

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
aNoN_
One Eyed Hopeful

Need help in deciding what 3D-monitor I want! (for HD3d/AMD)

Post by aNoN_ »

:woot Yo guys, i want a full-HD 3d monitor using shutterglass tehnique and thats compatible wih amd's 6x series graphics cards. I live in Sweden so for those monitors i found that had atleast HDMI 1.4 or DisplayPort 1.2 there was 3 candidates to this, why don't you have a look please: http://tinyurl.com/6ya87aw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which one is the best choice? Apart from the specs on the paper i also hope for you guys so have maybe some personal experiences or other knowledge when it comes o these 3.

In this moment there is no other supported monitors for me to choose from but for these 3, atleast from what i dugg up.

Help is appreciated in this purchase. I am gonna use dual unlocked and overclocked 6950's("70's" after flash) :) I wanna enjoy some games in full-HD-3d with high visual graphical settings along maybe with supersampling.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Need help in deciding what 3D-monitor I want! (for HD3d/

Post by cybereality »

Well you should know that HDMI 1.4a has limited support for full HD graphics. It can do 1080P @ 24Hz, which is fine for movies, but only 720P @ 60Hz mostly for gaming. While you can play at 1080P if you want, its limited to 24Hz which is sub-optimal. So you will likely be wanting to game at 720P. The Viewsonic does do full 1080P but I have heard of some problems with software support. Maybe they will work that out soon, I don't know, but you should definitely do some research on that one (I have only skimmed some of the info). I'd be more likely to go with the Acer or Asus, personally. Keep in mind I have not seen any of these displays, so I can't really tell you which is better than the other.
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PrimeTimeAction »

Be careful here because i have never seen anywhere that "Asus VG236H" and "ViewSonic V3D241wm" support hdmi 1.4. As far as I know the only monitor that support HDMI 1.4 are "Acer HN274H" and "Acer GN245HQ" (note that its GN245HQ not GD245HQ).
But I dont have any idea if/how they work with AMD HD3D.
I know Kung Fu, Karate, Taekondo and 27 other dangerous words
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

Samsung is about to release some high-end 3D monitors that should fit the bill. The Samsung 750 series and 950 series. There are announced to come with Hdmi1.4 and Display Port, and some also have DVI-dual-link.
Unfortunately there is only very little information about whether or not these support 3D via DVI Dual link or Display Port (which would allow fullHD at 60Hz per eye).
These monitors were initially set for release in March but have been delayed until May.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
PrimeTimeAction
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by PrimeTimeAction »

Well Samsung T27A750 and T27A950 are available at Ebay for mere $980 and $940 respectively. These are termed as "3D LED TV Monitor".
No info regarding how well they perform.
I know Kung Fu, Karate, Taekondo and 27 other dangerous words
aNoN_
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aNoN_ »

PrimeTimeAction wrote:Well Samsung T27A750 and T27A950 are available at Ebay for mere $980 and $940 respectively. These are termed as "3D LED TV Monitor".
No info regarding how well they perform.
According to swedish computer distributes it will be in stock preliminary the 16th of May. So it's a little less than 3 weeks from now.

Are you guys telling me that there is no monitor out now that supports full 1080p 3D using AMD's HD3D technique? Or is there a way? Or do i have to wait for the new Samsung monitors?

What about nvidia? Do hey support full 1080p even initial resolution?
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

aNoN_ wrote:Are you guys telling me that there is no monitor out now that supports full 1080p 3D using AMD's HD3D technique? Or is there a way? Or do i have to wait for the new Samsung monitors?

What about nvidia? Do hey support full 1080p even initial resolution?
Depends on what you call 1080p.
The industry calls it 1080p @24Hz. Any hdmi1.4 monitor will do that perfectly with AMD graphics cards : there are some available now with Nvidia 3D vision emitters embedded which will work with AMD graphics cards.
PC users usually want 1080p @60Hz in order to be able to play games with reasonable framerates, in this case hdmi1.4 will fall back to 720p @60Hz on any graphics card.

At the moment 3D Vision monitors will only provide 1080p60 in 3D if connected to an Nvidia graphics cards through DVI-Dual-link.
There are ways to get 1080p60 with AMD but no "monitor" does stereo 1080p60Hz yet.
These ways are using Planar rigs (2 monitors and a 50/50 transmissive/reflective mirror) or dual-projectors, polarising filters and a silver-screen.

Well actually I lied there is one monitor : the Viewsonic V3D241wm-LED, the problem is that it uses proprietary wired glasses and it's not sold worldwide.

We do not know the full specs of these monitors so we cannot even tell for sure they'll do it, but it has all the good ingredients that indicate it should be able to do 1080p60 3D on AMD hardware. These features are :
-embedded emitter (shows the monitor knows what a 3D picture is)
-Display Port (Display Port has standardized 3D transmission but the 3D capability of this display through DisplayPort has not been announced)
-DVI Dual-link (DVI does not standardize 3D transmission but AMD has developped a proprietary way of doing this with Viewsonic, we do not know if this is supported in this display)
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
aNoN_
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by aNoN_ »

Thanks for the info. So it's either 1080p @24Hz or 720p @60Hz? Which appears superior of those? It's eiher playing the games in 720p, and for that you need a small 3d monitor to get native res, or u can use 24" and scale down the picture. Or the other way, how is it playing games in 24Hz in 3D for example? Unplayable?

What about the Zalman monitor, or has it inferior image quality than the above?

thanks for answers..
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I would recommend looking into the Acer HN274H. Otherwise you might want to check the Zalman solution. It has good support on AMD cards. If you had an Nvidia card you might have more options.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

aNoN_ wrote:Thanks for the info. So it's either 1080p @24Hz or 720p @60Hz? Which appears superior of those? It's eiher playing the games in 720p, and for that you need a small 3d monitor to get native res, or u can use 24" and scale down the picture. Or the other way, how is it playing games in 24Hz in 3D for example? Unplayable?
720P60Hz is the resolution that the PS3 uses for stereoscopic gaming. It is perfectly suitable for the general public. I believe that many, if not most, current gen console games only play in 720p anyway so it really is not much of a problem.
PC gamers typically try to play in higher resolutions and increased framerates, which is the main reason why there are so many complaints against the hdmi standard.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

720P @ 60Hz looks fine. Obviously the quality is lower than full 1080P, but its not so bad. I think the 3D makes it look better than 720P would look in 2D.

Return to “3D Monitors”