LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

Post by neol »

bought LG D2342P-PN posted a small review for those interested here -> http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=13125" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; after 14th post & next.
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

Probably gonna give this monitor a try since it's available from Walmart and I can return it in 2 weeks if I don't like it.

Since you only see half the normal resolution per eye do you get better performance/fps than full resolution solutions like shutter and anaglyph?
jgordon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jgordon »

I just ordered this monitor from Amazon.com. Their free shipping seemed faster (expect monitor by mid to late next week). Will be nice to be back to real 3d. Had an IZ3D monitor that burnt out about 9 months ago. As much as I liked to IZ3D community, I was very disappointed that the monitor only lasted 2.25 years. I expect more from a monitor that that. Look forward to how this monitor compares.
Greyline108
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Greyline108 »

I've got one of these coming tomorrow. It'll be my first 3D display, as well. I love the effect on 3DS, and I'm hoping this'll blow me away even more.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

OuHiroshi wrote: Since you only see half the normal resolution per eye do you get better performance/fps than full resolution solutions like shutter and anaglyph?
Internally I think it still renders 2 full views. It just throws away half the pixels so performance is the same as anaglyph/page-flip/etc..
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@ neol
Sweet informative review!!!

As FPR is always on ( Its Thin Polarization Film which continuously polarize interleaved lines ( as i understand FPR : correct me if i am wrong!) and you can see some criticism in link below

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/20 ... iewing.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my few questions are

1) How different this monitor looks in 2D when compared to normal LED monitor? is it grainy? can you notice lines even when 3d is off?
2) How much light is scarificed in 2D mode? compared to normal LED?
3) How is your experince in gaming? say Avatar or Crysis2 or Batman Akhram Asylum?
4) Is it not difficult to adjust as hight adjustment is absent?
5) Does it look satisfactory form 50 Cm?
6) How are pop out effects?

Hope given so many questions doesn't trouble you much

Thanks in advance
Regards
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Ever saw DLP ?

I bet schools have 3d DLP.

Maybe make two DIY silverscreens , not only one, sell them a silverscreen and try DLP too while you re at it.
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

And what does DLP have anything to do with this LG monitor?
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

Dilip wrote:@ neol
Sweet informative review!!!

As FPR is always on ( Its Thin Polarization Film which continuously polarize interleaved lines ( as i understand FPR : correct me if i am wrong!) and you can see some criticism in link below

http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/articles/20 ... iewing.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

my few questions are

1) How different this monitor looks in 2D when compared to normal LED monitor? is it grainy? can you notice lines even when 3d is off?
2) How much light is scarificed in 2D mode? compared to normal LED?
3) How is your experince in gaming? say Avatar or Crysis2 or Batman Akhram Asylum?
4) Is it not difficult to adjust as hight adjustment is absent?
5) Does it look satisfactory form 50 Cm?
6) How are pop out effects?

Hope given so many questions doesn't trouble you much

Thanks in advance
Regards
first in first the link does not say much except for "sacrifice of light" thats it. the same does not apply to this monitor. probably the reviewer made an assumption having an extra layer on display will reduce the brightness/quality of the picture.
don't believe everything u read on net or reviews say. Most of the reviewers don't know wtf they are writing and secondly they write up reviews based on assumptions on product site/other reviews unless someone manually checks the product and puts up a decent review of the same exact product provided with proper settings & other stuff.

personally I don't see any sacrifice made in 2D mode. Infact I had to reduce the brightness while watching HD movies or gaming & in dark the picture is even brighter.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Thank you!!

Have seen demo of LG 42LW5700 Cinema 3D TV just today at store.

Ironic we have LG 42LW5700 availble in india and not D2342P-PN Monitor? That too at ridiculous price tag (2043 US$) 'LG' Bad Policy...

Yes, for TV its really amazing! product demo video shows some clips of street, a dog & Frisbee play
some clips of Opera and yes confirmed there is no light sacrifice good Z+ even better to Active shutter systems

You can notice lines in green and light colors in particular but must be beacouse HDMI cable only supports 1280X720P hence on 42" its understandable to notice lines but it was light on eyes no strain 'good product' - sheds are little shabby(No good build quality)

Think all must be same with monitor too
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

Is it possible to use a nVidia card+3DTV Play+Dual link DVI to have 60hz 1080P on this monitor or I'm stuck with 24hz?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Current HDMI 1.4a hardware only supports 60Hz when in 720P. However the IZ3D and DDD driver should have no problem running at 60Hz with 1080P (interleaved).
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

cybereality wrote:Current HDMI 1.4a hardware only supports 60Hz when in 720P. However the IZ3D and DDD driver should have no problem running at 60Hz with 1080P (interleaved).
You mean 1080i? Hopefully 1.4b will have 60hz 1080P support.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

No, its a true 1080P @ 60Hz signal, just of an interleaved image. That is different than 1080i. 1080i is interlaced, which is based on 60 fields per second, not frames. Although they seem somewhat similar, in actuality they are different things.
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

Oh you meant interlaced by the monitor? I thought you said the signal was interlaced. But when you said 60hz 1080P from iZ3D and DDD you meant from Dual link DVI right? I don't think HDMI 1.4a can physically output at that rate.
bgnome
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by bgnome »

OuHiroshi wrote:Oh you meant interlaced by the monitor? I thought you said the signal was interlaced. But when you said 60hz 1080P from iZ3D and DDD you meant from Dual link DVI right? I don't think HDMI 1.4a can physically output at that rate.
line interleaved is a half-resolution method, as is tb, sbs, and checkerboard. that means that both L and R views combined take up the same bandwith as 1080p or 720p stream. 1080i is field sequential whereas line-interleaved displays both views at the same time, ALL the time.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

OuHiroshi wrote:But when you said 60hz 1080P from iZ3D and DDD you meant from Dual link DVI right? I don't think HDMI 1.4a can physically output at that rate.
It can be either HDMI or DVI, since it is basically just a regular 1080P image. The issue is with 1080P frame-packing, which is actually double 1080P resolution. Interleaved combines both views into one frame (aka frame-compatible) so it uses the same bandwidth as a 2D signal.
BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

OuHiroshi wrote:Hopefully 1.4b will have 60hz 1080P support.
Hdmi 1.4a already has stereo 1080p 60Hz support via frame packing, it's just not mandatory.
Passive 3D forever !
DIY polarised dual-projector setup :
2x Epson EH-TW3500 (2D 1080p)
Xtrem Screen Daylight 2.0, for polarized 3D
3D Vision gaming with signal converter : VNS Geobox 501
mitek96
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitek96 »

Hi buddies, I wanna buy this monitor, but my question is: will it work with xbox 360 (eg. Crysis 2 Side-by-Side via hdmi), will it convert sbs to the 3d?
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Finally purchased D2342P after spending really lot time in search for good product + best price
Indeed good monitor and i am able to buy one at 280US$=INRs which is best deal i could ever get in INDIA

My Few findings:

Decent view angle and yes it really requires you to be 60Cm away from monitor to get best 3D effects so you require to seat little away from monitor.

Very light monitor but little wobbly on stand (still it does not collapses though it makes you fear so) screen is non gloss,Provided shades are good for regular ones. clip-on should have frame around glass (Zalman is good enough here).

Yes you can notice small lines when you are say 20 Cm near to screen (Approx :) ) ( some thing you might have seen with PS2+34" CRT TVs) but nothing practically killing joy if you seat 60Cm away they are barely noticeable. Nothing like 1/2 resolution kill joy of 3D as you got to see it to believe it (Specially for those who think half resolution is worst for 3d Gaming)

All demo photograph displayed very good 3D effect for videos well best i found that displayed gaming demo (Lots of +Z depth LOL!)

@ Cybereality, Blackshark
I have small confusion now:
My system i am going to build for this is as follows:

Intel Core i5 2400 Pr,MB-DH67BL,Ram Corsair 2X2GB DDR3 1600,1TB WD HDD,Sony DVD RW,

Which graphic card well perform better with DDD Drivers

1) MSI NVIDIA Geforce GTX560 Twin frozer II 1GB GDDR5
2) ASUS RADEON EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5

In past when i had P4 1.6 i have noticed that DDD drivers & IZ3D drivers use to do lots of mess with NVIDIA forceware installed ( I had Geforce 6600 forceware 94). when i use to turn on DDD 3d (Interlace mode) in Titan Quest it automatically turns on Anaglyph3D of NVIDIA. IZ3D never been friendly for me.

also read so many things about AMD HD3D does Radeon now more better with DDD & IZ3D Drivers but fairly i don understand much HD3D. Even if i go to ATI path most of review shows GTX560 has more firepower compared to 6870 so i don want to loose Even for non 3D gaming

What will be better choice ???
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you are planning on using IZ3D/DDD then compatibility should be the same with either Nvidia or AMD. DDD used to have issues with the Nvidia driver, but that has since been fixed. Personally I would go with the GTX 560, simply because I have been die-hard Nvidia for years. But I'm sure the 6870 would be adequate as well.
Monarch73
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Monarch73 »

Hey, I got a quick question.

I also got the D2342P-PN and hooked it up to my machine on the DVI port. For some reason, I can't get the 3D feature to work. The 3D-Mode selector in the OSD-Menu, where you can usualy select if you have a line-interlaced or a side-by-side 3D picture, is always disabled and grayed out. No matter what I do. I also did a factory reset but that had no effect.

I tried to contact LG support but I haven't gotten a response in two weeks now. Now I am trying to get some help on the net before I will return it to the store.

Thanks for your help in advance.
mitek96
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by mitek96 »

You have to connect your monitor to PC by hdmi, after that 3d-mode selector will work. It only work when you are using hdmi port.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Its a passive monitor. You don't have to "enable" 3D. Its always on (its physically part of the display). Just put the glasses on your face, thats the 3D mode. Then use software that supports interleaved mode (iz3D, DDD, Stereoscopic Player, YouTube3D, etc.). You can also use an HDMI 1.4a source, like a PS3, and that is likely what will enable the "3D mode" but the quality will not be any better than feeding it an interleaved 3D image.
antcodd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by antcodd »

Does anyone have issues with 24p? It seems to do a nice job (it even seems to flicker the backlight) but I have serious sharpness issues - it is all pixelated and ugly almost like it is only rendering half the pixels (in 2d mode). Swapping 3D mode improves things but makes it just as blurry as normal swaped l-r is. I tried manually adding 48Hz and it works correctly but HDCP doesn't seem to work and I just get a black screen when trying to play a blu ray on TotalMediaTheatre 3. I don't care too much about 24p (never bothered me on my old monitor that didn't support it) but it would be nice to have it working - all other refresh rates apart from '23Hz' (23.976) /24Hz work correctly; though the de-interlacing is absolutely terribly on interlaced (seems to be a particularly bad simple bob).

Using NVIDIA 275.33 with GTX 460, on a literally fresh install of Windows 7 64bit (just reinstalled windows a few minutes ago for other reasons). Not sure whether the screen is defective or it is a driver or compatibility issue (unfortunately don't have an actual blu-ray player to test).
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

If you play at Blu-Ray 3D in 1080P mode over HDMI, then it will be at 24Hz. Not sure if that works in 2D, though honestly I've never noticed 24P mode looking any better.
antcodd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by antcodd »

It would appear reinstalling windows has made 48Hz suddenly work properly which pretty much solves the problem. Still interested if anyone has/doesn't have the same problem as me with 24p though.

edit: Interesting quirk - HDMI 3D mode with 3D-2D on works fine as a 2D mode. Only normal 2D 1080p24 doesn't work - weird. Been having some strange driver issues with 3D mode (1080p 3D mode wasn't working I had corruption at the bottom of the screen and was in general competely wrong, and even caused the monitor to stay on black screen and freeze (even power toggle took like 30s) until I unplugged HDMI and changed the setting when I tried 3D-2D. Suddenly it is working now after changing resolution a couple of times. I'm hoping it's a driver issue - unfortunately don't have a hardware blu-ray player to test. Still, knowing HDMI 1.4 3D mode is working is nice if I have something to use it with other than the PC in the future.
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

It's $300 right now so it's definitely a cheaper alternative to active monitors. I just wish 3D drivers can just render the scene half resolution and stretch it to save performance.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

OuHiroshi wrote:It's $300 right now so it's definitely a cheaper alternative to active monitors. I just wish 3D drivers can just render the scene half resolution and stretch it to save performance.
this pc here struggled running unreal engine3 games with acceptable frames in 3d ( 60+ per eye) , when I tried the 2233RZ for 30min, also it looked washed out that was my biggest complaint against active ( not knew they are limiting duty cycle of the display, so every , every single spec is overspecced & crap) ,

Then, I went with DLP. Really, the same PC runs every single game I throw at it, even metro2033 is absolutely playable, and the resolution.... The resolution stuff is whole different ballgame with DLP. Theres no better trade-off for high FPS vs. spatial resolution than DLP right now, really, this is HD, especially at 120hz, averaged between two eyes, its mind boggling how good DLP is, can't wait to see other LED / laser technologies.

Really, you should think about buying into these pocket DLP projectors , LED or laser, and a suitable rear projection dark screen would do the job instead of monitor IMO. You know rear projection stuff right?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

tritosine2k wrote:
OuHiroshi wrote:It's $300 right now so it's definitely a cheaper alternative to active monitors. I just wish 3D drivers can just render the scene half resolution and stretch it to save performance.
this pc here struggled running unreal engine3 games with acceptable frames in 3d ( 60+ per eye) , when I tried the 2233RZ for 30min, also it looked washed out that was my biggest complaint against active ( not knew they are limiting duty cycle of the display, so every , every single spec is overspecced & crap) ,

Then, I went with DLP. Really, the same PC runs every single game I throw at it, even metro2033 is absolutely playable, and the resolution.... The resolution stuff is whole different ballgame with DLP. Theres no better trade-off for high FPS vs. spatial resolution than DLP right now, really, this is HD, especially at 120hz, averaged between two eyes, its mind boggling how good DLP is, can't wait to see other LED / laser technologies.

Really, you should think about buying into these pocket DLP projectors , LED or laser, and a suitable rear projection dark screen would do the job instead of monitor IMO. You know rear projection stuff right?
My parents have two rear DLPs at home (40" and 70"). They are really cheap for the size but it's just too bulky for a college apartment.

Also, I prefer passive solutions since I have glasses and I understand that DLPs are active.
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

Monarch73 wrote:Hey, I got a quick question.

I also got the D2342P-PN and hooked it up to my machine on the DVI port. For some reason, I can't get the 3D feature to work. The 3D-Mode selector in the OSD-Menu, where you can usualy select if you have a line-interlaced or a side-by-side 3D picture, is always disabled and grayed out. No matter what I do. I also did a factory reset but that had no effect.

I tried to contact LG support but I haven't gotten a response in two weeks now. Now I am trying to get some help on the net before I will return it to the store.

Thanks for your help in advance.

That option works only when monitor is connected thru HDMI cable. Its meant to be grayed out in DVI connection.

Your monitor is not faulty, the option is not suppose to work in DVI connection mode. BTW I have same LG Monitor.
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

Dilip wrote:Finally purchased D2342P after spending really lot time in search for good product + best price
Indeed good monitor and i am able to buy one at 280US$=INRs which is best deal i could ever get in INDIA

My Few findings:

Decent view angle and yes it really requires you to be 60Cm away from monitor to get best 3D effects so you require to seat little away from monitor.

Very light monitor but little wobbly on stand (still it does not collapses though it makes you fear so) screen is non gloss,Provided shades are good for regular ones. clip-on should have frame around glass (Zalman is good enough here).

Yes you can notice small lines when you are say 20 Cm near to screen (Approx :) ) ( some thing you might have seen with PS2+34" CRT TVs) but nothing practically killing joy if you seat 60Cm away they are barely noticeable. Nothing like 1/2 resolution kill joy of 3D as you got to see it to believe it (Specially for those who think half resolution is worst for 3d Gaming)

All demo photograph displayed very good 3D effect for videos well best i found that displayed gaming demo (Lots of +Z depth LOL!)

@ Cybereality, Blackshark
I have small confusion now:
My system i am going to build for this is as follows:

Intel Core i5 2400 Pr,MB-DH67BL,Ram Corsair 2X2GB DDR3 1600,1TB WD HDD,Sony DVD RW,

Which graphic card well perform better with DDD Drivers

1) MSI NVIDIA Geforce GTX560 Twin frozer II 1GB GDDR5
2) ASUS RADEON EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5

In past when i had P4 1.6 i have noticed that DDD drivers & IZ3D drivers use to do lots of mess with NVIDIA forceware installed ( I had Geforce 6600 forceware 94). when i use to turn on DDD 3d (Interlace mode) in Titan Quest it automatically turns on Anaglyph3D of NVIDIA. IZ3D never been friendly for me.

also read so many things about AMD HD3D does Radeon now more better with DDD & IZ3D Drivers but fairly i don understand much HD3D. Even if i go to ATI path most of review shows GTX560 has more firepower compared to 6870 so i don want to loose Even for non 3D gaming

What will be better choice ???
for 280US$ ?? from where and how are you buying that ? :shock:
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

@Neol: Its not 280US$ its iquivalent Indian Rupees (280x47=13160 INR)
I have purchased it from LG IT Product Disrtibutor in my hometown (City: Ahmedabad State: Gujarat) in INDIA-not online

I like to know from those who use ZALMAN does this monitor have Active Barrier (electronically controlled just like shutter glasses) barrier? Thin layer before LCD which saprate left and right eye view or its passive barrier like fix film of LG D2342P which is always on
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

dilip, can you post the contact information here ? (email/phone)
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Its just matter of time you can buy it even cheap from amazon now

its just 264 US$

So don be surprized
Its just normal LED + Thin mircro film with horizontal interleaved lines of different polarization

it must be even cheaper for LG in mass production
And soon it will be cheaper for us all !!! cheears!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I have noticed one strange phenomena

With EA’s Lord of the Rings BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH
(EA RTS-based on LOTR)

This game runs pretty smooth with DDD drivers and I played it in 1280X960 resolutions with full screen mode still it looked very nice and I enjoyed good 3D depth

When I tried to play Avatar even at 1650X1080 resolution (So that I can get smooth frame rate I have still not purchased graphics card and experimenting with Core i5 internal graphics-Intel HD 2000) the 3D image was kind of “3D with Multiple Gaps” I can understand as this monitor have Fixed Micro Film it naturally does not support any resolution other then native full HD if you wish to play full screen

Then why this does not applied to BATTLE FOR MIDDLE EARTH
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Avatar is a native supported game and must be played in native resolution (1920x1080). The DDD driver can dynamically scale games from different resolutions to 1080P (or whatever else the monitor might need). So you are not limited to run the game at native resolution, the DDD driver will upscale. Also, do not try to launch Avatar from the DDD launcher, since this will go into double 3D mode and not work at all. Just open Avatar normally and select "line-interleaved" as the 3D option.

Also, $264 is a nice price. I may have to pick one up.
antcodd
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by antcodd »

I managed to figure out that my HDMI issues (blurry 23/24/30Hz) are definitely an NVIDIA driver issue. Working around all the other hideous bugs in newer releases of the NVIDIA driver (needing a custom resolution to have actual RGB 0-255 levels regardless of setting), a custom resolution of 1080p @23.976Hz works perfectly with no blurriness on driver 266.58 (not suggesting using that version as there are horrible bugs with resolution/refresh rate changes in the control panel being completely screwed up). The black levels are still not auto-set correctly on the display but I have had that working previously on 275.33.

At least now I know the monitor works correctly - it is just the drivers that are terrible. To think I switched from ATI because NVIDIA had more stable drivers! I don't really care enough about 24p to suffer through the about 5 steps to get it to work each time, so I'll just wait for the next WHQL driver and see if that fixes the problem.
OuHiroshi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OuHiroshi »

The monitor is going about $250 on Newegg right now :woot It's open box though: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 824005254R" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NumberSix
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NumberSix »

^ Open boxes are all gone ... the price fluctuations on this monitor are odd. New pricing of $264 to $300 to $349 and back to $300 in less than a month.

I still can't decide whether to go this way (passive) and spend $40 as a NVidia card owner for iZ3d for the one title (iRacing) which does *not* work with DDD, or save $ until I can get the Planar active-shutter + glasses (or if it's good enough, Viewsonic's V3D245) and use the 3d Vision driverset.

(DDD doesn't work with iRacing because iRacing doesn't launch the executable directly but instead uses a web page to invoke a local service which in turn calls the executable; I believe this is a convoluted but effective anti-hacking technique ... important when the top oval and top road-course driver will win $10k real cash each).

Return to “3D Monitors”