LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

120Hz or Polarized, this is the place to share your findings on what's out there!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: LG D2342P-PN (Passive)

Post by cybereality »

If you have the money, the Nvidia 3D Vision is probably the better route. I mean, I bet this monitor looks great for the price, but its not going to be full 1080P. More importantly, the viewing angles will be limited, which can get annoying at times (especially if you use a racing wheel and may not be sitting completely still). But if you only have $300 to spend you probably won't get a better deal than this.
cabot001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cabot001 »

I bought the LG DM2350D monitor/TV recently, but returned it because there were annoying vertical scan-type lines visible in 3D mode whenever there was movement in the picture. I also spotted these lines during a store demo of the LG D2342P monitor. Has anyone else seen these lines?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

I'm surprised to hear about vertical lines, didn't you want to say horizontal black lines, which should be normal with such a technology ?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@cabot001: This is a little confusing to me when you say vertical scan-lines. I guess you mean horizontal, since these are horizontally interleaved monitors (FPR). But this is a passive display. The lines are always visible and static. They should not be moving at all, or be effected by moving images. I think what you mean to say is that you saw aliasing artifacts, which appear as jagged edges. This is sometimes called a staircasing effect, which can be strange to look at. Is that what you are talking about?
cabot001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by cabot001 »

Thanks to Cybereality and Fredz for your quick replies. No, I didn't mean the alternating horizontal black rows of pixels that are visible on a passive 3D monitor. These are faint vertical lines, evenly spaced that appear in 3D mode whenever there is a reasonable amount of movement (e.g. a character moving across the screen or a panning shot). They are spaced a lot more widely than the pixel spacing, maybe every 20/30 pixels or so. Perhaps you could call it banding? Anyway, They were definitely there on the DM2350D that I bought and on a D2342P monitor I saw in another shop. Maybe these were from a bad batch or maybe it is a motion artefact problem that is present in all the models that may be put right with a firmware upgrade. I know that another 23" LG 3D monitor will be available soon with an IPS display. I shall be checking this one out as soon as I can with a view to replacing my 22" Zalman.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Interesting. I'm still not sure I understand what you mean, but I believe that you saw something. Don't think I've ever seen that though.
relaxman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by relaxman »

Exactly the same reasons, why i selled my Zalman! :lol:
bk2001050
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bk2001050 »

Hey Guys, so I am planning on buying the D2342 P, I did a lot of research and your forum helped a lot too. Went through the entire blog. Does anyone by chance know where this product can be tested before being bought because all I see are online retailers on amazon and ebay and newegg. I am from ottawa and its surprising that theres no retailer that carries the monitor. Also a couple of quick questions, I have heard mixed reviews about the monitor, worst one being the cnet review but i never trust those idiots.

1) I was wondering if I can hook my xbox 360 to it and play gears of war 3 or crysis 2 in 3D. Also, since i have the pro version that doesnt take hdmi out, can i connect vga and get a decent 3d experience? If not, will an xbox 360 elite with hdmi out port work instead?

2) Also for my PC, i have an ATI HD5570 2gb in crossfire, does this gpu have to be compatible with hdmi 1.4a or will my set up work with the iz3d driver?

3) Final question, is the 2d to 3d conversion decent, I mean could I watch say Fast 5 with the iz3d 2d to 3d media converter on lg's 2d to 3d mode and have a decent experience? Thanks a lot guys, any help is really appreciated.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

I own this monitor from last 2 Months

2D to 3D conversion is subjective what you wish to see
some movies look decent while others just crap!

Overall experince is mixed bag
Its not so satifactory as it sounds.
you can judge, if you see both real 3D and converted 3D
I have seen Avatar Converted and Avatar Actual 3D both on
this monitor and i bet actual is 100 times better to converted.

Converted 3D is like 3D Fantacy kids book, where you open the book and 3D castle apperas in front of your eyes.this is done by simply cutting and adjusting pictures at differnet level. i hope you got my point

some thing which is not shot in 3D can not be converted to perfect 3D at least in live striming ( by using Normal DVD+Conversion Software)

Though latest sofware do little justice. overall it looks FAKE (in most cases)

so for 3D conversion i would say don Make this your purchase decision factor.

Other wise monitor is really value for money as DDD gives excellent result with Most new popular games and its not too tough to be in good viewing angle.other side Passive glasses are really comfortable you can play more then an hour or two without eye fatigue.
Kiran
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kiran »

I am planning to buy LG D2342P monitor for 3d design/development , Please advice me which display card is better suited ?
is Nvidia GetForce GTX-560 good for this monitor ?

Thanks
Kiran
gr0bd4
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by gr0bd4 »

Electronics Expo has the LG D2342P-PN 23 inch Passive Cinema 3D LED LCD Monitor for $264 - $51 off with coupon code BIGBEN + $20 shipping = $233 shipped.
I picked one up finally. Too bad they offer free shipping through Amazon, yet on their (Electronics Expo) page shipping is $20. With free shipping that would be a sweet deal at $213! I'm thinking of bothering them to refund the difference.
IM0001
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by IM0001 »

Scratch that.
Osobari
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Osobari »

Passive 3D is really nice for TV sets, since the drop in resolution probably isn't as noticeable at a distance, and the ability to use clip-on 3D lenses is a much larger plus for a TV. People like me with poor eyesight have no trouble using active shutter glasses with a PC monitor, since you obviously have to be close to the screen in that scenario, and therefore nearsightedness isn't a problem. When it comes to TVs though, I NEED to wear my prescription glasses to order to make anything out on the screen, which is pretty much impossible to do in combination with active shutter glasses. This won't apply to everyone, but for people like me, clip-on passive 3D lenses are a godsend if you go the TV route.

The only reason I could give for recommending a passive 3D monitor is how much cheaper it is compared to the competition. I believe this is the cheapest 3D monitor you can get on Newegg right now, so if you REALLY need to save some money, this is an alright choice. Personally, I recommend always going active 3D whenever possible when it comes to PC monitors.
Gae43
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Gae43 »

I'm thinking of getting one of these but i still have a couple of concerns. The manual says that the 3D mode only works over HDMI. I have a computer than can play 1080p interlaced OK and is HDCP compliant with my Panasonic AE900 but I only have DVI output. I'm using a DVI-HDMI adaptor to output to my projector. I wonder if I might have some issues with this The fact that my nVidia control panel says that my output is HDCP compliant makes me think that I might be OK.

The other concern I have is that if the 3D only works over HDMI then I won't be able to use it via D-sub from my Laptop which I use for the net and YT3D clips etc. I read that the interlaced screen must be fixed if its for passive 3D but I'm wondering if over D-sub and DVI, the monitor somehows stays in 2D mode and only shows a side by side image. They may have some way of doing this and so it might limit the usage I can get from the monitor.

Thanks for any help

Gae43
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Right, I looked at the one at the store near my house once again, and this time I did notice the _vertical_ lines (yes, I'm not talking about the horizontal interlace lines),- the best that I can describe them is that they looked like faint vertical nonmoving scanlines - the demo setup was running a video of a game road of some kind and the lines seemed to be visible towards the sides where there was more motion - but I can't really confirm that as it could be my polluted judgement from reading this thread. It's really hard to decide- they weren't a "killer" or an obvious defect, but I don't recall seeing anything similar on the zalman 3d 24' when I had it for a few days before I returned it.

Are they present in all displays?
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I haven't seen any vertical lines like that with the Zalman or with 3D Vision.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cybereality wrote:I haven't seen any vertical lines like that with the Zalman or with 3D Vision.
exactly. neither have I with the zalman. I've did some googling and seems some other people have noticed this with this display as well. I don't think it's a "one off" defect or even a common defect- I think it's present in all of them and many people just don't notice them. this is sad- I think I'll still hold out for the zalman for now.
http://www.avforums.com/forums/lg-forum ... itors.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Sorry yury let posting

Nope i don see any vertical line anomaly

Its just fine clean display 2D or 3D
Newtower
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Newtower »

I've been using a Passive LG tv
3D depth is amazing. At 1080 rez, the TV will interlace the 3dvision alt-frames into a smooth flicker free show
The interlacing does greatly effect small print text, making it mildly difficult at worst. However, i only notice the problem on horizontal lines of less than 3pixels line width
Standard text is not notably affected, and natural enviroment is visually improved (like old-school "3D-Acceleration") as a bonus
No issues with Skyrim :mrgreen:
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Experience Review

Its 2 Years now i m using this monitor and so far my experince is simply this is best 3d Monitor on earth 300USD can buy just beyond any doubt and i m happy i did not get in to 3DVISION.

:D Pros Are:
-Saved 200USD at begining (3dvision cost 500+ usd to begin)
-Charging glasses after regular interval not needed,Passive 3D Rocks
-Light glasses no weight on face
-No flickers what so ever at all
-Nice TN pannel uniform color through out screen
-Pure full 32Bit color no screen darkning no vibrancy loss
-Nice black tones.

:cry: Cons Are: ONly ONe
-Horizontal interleved lines which are only noticable in light colors like sky
which i think con of this format not monitors

I am quite happy with this product so far my initial four months were on friends borrowed GTS250+core i5+4gb ram then gfx card swaped to GTX660 played many games of different geners in 3D. my most Memorable titiles whith this monitors are AVATAR which was naitve 3D my whole family loved this monitor after watching (you can land second pair to view as it comes with 2 one more reason why i prefer this over 3D vision and extra pair cost just 10USd so again better then 3D vision which cost 100USD) DEAD SPACE 1 DEAD SPACE 2. MASS EFFECT 2, MASS EFFECT 3, DARKSIDERS 2, NFS HOTPERSUIT 2011, TITAN QUEST IMMORTAL THRONE, BIOSHOCK, BULLETSTOM, SKYRIM,DREGON AGE 1,2 and many i m quotting only which i played start to finish in 3D on this monitor ,most were my second play throgh except AVATAR, DEADSPACE3, MASS EFFECT 3 and DARKSIDERS 2 which i played first time and in 3D.

Quite satisfied with DDD 3D drivers needs little tweking in game for some games but mostly works out of box for majority of titles and it improves by the time for ex. when tomb raider 2013 released in was working only is Power3D which is kindof psudo 3d mode (2D+Depth) in just one month tridef released new version of software and its working in Steron3D just fine.

For those who are looking for 3D monitor my strong recomendation will be with this monitor

I waited quite long for 120Hz Passive LED Monitors where instead of Glass Screen Flicker at 120Hz for polarization (this tech might required sandwich pannels one for picture and another for polarization)and then Passive glasses to diffrentiate LnR Eye view to create 3D effect. this tech can give Best of Both World By FULL HD(No inteleaved lines like my present monitor) and No Flickering Secs or Specs Charging Reqments.

At point samsung was intrested in making such monitors with tech from RealD
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=13892

but eventually they backed off due to UNKNOWN REASONs so this upgrade never came to me.

Now i m looking for OCULUS RIFT which is next upgrade and my dream from school days.i am following rift from Aug12 and did not invested in developer Kit as i am no developer and its ok with me to wait for polished product with more refined experince,though i missed many moments appears from initial response from people.
neol
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by neol »

Dilip wrote:Experience Review

Its 2 Years now i m using this monitor and so far my experince is simply this is best 3d Monitor on earth 300USD can buy just beyond any doubt and i m happy i did not get in to 3DVISION.

:D Pros Are:
-Saved 200USD at begining (3dvision cost 500+ usd to begin)
-Charging glasses after regular interval not needed,Passive 3D Rocks
-Light glasses no weight on face
-No flickers what so ever at all
-Nice TN pannel uniform color through out screen
-Pure full 32Bit color no screen darkning no vibrancy loss
-Nice black tones.

:cry: Cons Are: ONly ONe
-Horizontal interleved lines which are only noticable in light colors like sky
which i think con of this format not monitors

I am quite happy with this product so far my initial four months were on friends borrowed GTS250+core i5+4gb ram then gfx card swaped to GTX660 played many games of different geners in 3D. my most Memorable titiles whith this monitors are AVATAR which was naitve 3D my whole family loved this monitor after watching (you can land second pair to view as it comes with 2 one more reason why i prefer this over 3D vision and extra pair cost just 10USd so again better then 3D vision which cost 100USD) DEAD SPACE 1 DEAD SPACE 2. MASS EFFECT 2, MASS EFFECT 3, DARKSIDERS 2, NFS HOTPERSUIT 2011, TITAN QUEST IMMORTAL THRONE, BIOSHOCK, BULLETSTOM, SKYRIM,DREGON AGE 1,2 and many i m quotting only which i played start to finish in 3D on this monitor ,most were my second play throgh except AVATAR, DEADSPACE3, MASS EFFECT 3 and DARKSIDERS 2 which i played first time and in 3D.

Quite satisfied with DDD 3D drivers needs little tweking in game for some games but mostly works out of box for majority of titles and it improves by the time for ex. when tomb raider 2013 released in was working only is Power3D which is kindof psudo 3d mode (2D+Depth) in just one month tridef released new version of software and its working in Steron3D just fine.

For those who are looking for 3D monitor my strong recomendation will be with this monitor

I waited quite long for 120Hz Passive LED Monitors where instead of Glass Screen Flicker at 120Hz for polarization (this tech might required sandwich pannels one for picture and another for polarization)and then Passive glasses to diffrentiate LnR Eye view to create 3D effect. this tech can give Best of Both World By FULL HD(No inteleaved lines like my present monitor) and No Flickering Secs or Specs Charging Reqments.

At point samsung was intrested in making such monitors with tech from RealD
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=13892

but eventually they backed off due to UNKNOWN REASONs so this upgrade never came to me.

Now i m looking for OCULUS RIFT which is next upgrade and my dream from school days.i am following rift from Aug12 and did not invested in developer Kit as i am no developer and its ok with me to wait for polished product with more refined experince,though i missed many moments appears from initial response from people.

I'm still using this monitor for a long time now... no issues whatsoever. Infact I was one of early buyers. This is the best 3D monitor so far until some groundbreaking newer technology comes up I would recommended this monitor for all users.

Return to “3D Monitors”