Headplay modification. Any ideas?

Tutorials on how to create your own rigs, pics, movies, and everything that has to do with S-3D at home!
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Headplay modification. Any ideas?

Post by brainpann »

Ok, so I FINALLY got my Headplay unit to display properly(no more double vision) and I want to mod them to strap to my head with a light shield attached. I am aiming for something akin to a TDVision unit. Here is a pic:

http://www.tdvision.com/tdvisor.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My main concern is a proper light shield for it. I have ordered a Vuzix light shield for modification but ideally would like something more "rubbery". I have also thought about modifying an old Virtual Boy eye shield as well but I do not think that would be sturdy enough.

Anyway, I will post my progress here if anyone is interested.
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Headplay modification. Any ideas?

Post by Okta »

SO what was the cause of the double vision?
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

You may want to try to mod a pair of perforated safety goggles, gluing black cloth around it might work. Also, how did you fix the double-vision?
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

I fixed the double vision by following this fairly easy tutorial I found on the rcgroups.com forum.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1349349" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It basically involved taking them apart and turning a screw to adjust the mirror alignment. I went through two pair of Headplay's with the same issue and thought it was me even though previous HMD's never gave me this problem. Much much better now.

As for the mod, I have a few ideas I am going to post up shortly to get some input. I have, however, tried using safety goggle's before and didn't like the way they came out. Before I fixed the vision problem, I had them modded inside a pair of ski goggles. That worked pretty well but I think I can make them better.

Honestly, I am pretty happy with the Headplay now but may spring for a pair of VR1200's...
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

Ok, so here are some ideas I am tossing around. Ideally I want to get something close to the form factor of a tdvision hmd.

1)Modified vuzix light shield. I have seen a post where someone else did the same thing and it doesn't look half bad. I don't know the material the light shield uses and may be too stiff for what I ideally would want.

2)Adding eye-cups. This doesn't seem like a half bad idea either but not sure how I would make them stick. Even if I do get them to stay in place, I question how comfortable they would be.

3) or modding it into these aviator goggles. This seems like the most comfortable choice but I an not sure how strong this particular pair of goggle may be. I did purchase a small container of Instamorph which will help me add some strength.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Those aviator glasses look smoking. If they made 3D glasses just like that no one could complain they were dorky!
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Check how VR geek Sebastien modded VR920 into ski-mask:
http://www.vrgeeks.org/vr-kits/hmds

Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

Ok, so if anyone is interested, here is an update to my Headplay mod.

The Vuzix light-shield didn't work for me because I found it very difficult to secure to the Headplay visor and didn't block enough light. The eye-cups had the potential to be a pretty nice option but it was also difficult to secure to the Headplay. The goggles I ordered are too shallow for good visibility but may come in handy later.
My next plan is to mount the Headplay securely inside the shell of a cheap VR toy. I have seen this done with a another HMD and have confidence this will work well because it will provide a strap securing the HMD to my head as well as a top support to help keep the HMD from sliding down thus maintaining stability. One problem that I am continually coming into is that the cable on the Headplay visor (that connects to the brick) has a tendency to cause the HMD to shift. I will see if I can redirect it somehow. I also plan to mount a GYROTRANSPORT Air-mouse inside as sort of a poor man's head tracking. The other nice thing about using a gyro mouse for head tracking is that it is compatible with every game. I have experimented extensively with this method and find that it works pretty well. Obviously you do not get Z-axis but I don't really need it. I got really lucky and picked one up for 18.00 with shipping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Interesting. Please keep us posted on any updates.
VRgamesterz
Cross Eyed!

Post by VRgamesterz »

I tried to modify the headplay once and couldn't use the light shield, I tried round foam and tried to glue it as well but that didn't pan out to well, I did manage to fit the vuzix inside the trimersion helmet, if you can get that helmet get that one because you can upgrade the headphone easy and the strapping is alot better. Don't bother getting the one you have a picture of, the power ranger helmet, I had a few and it was bigger and heavier and the strap was no good and no area for headphones. Now I didn't try to fit the headplay inside the trimersion so im not sure if the headplay and vuzix were the same size but I think the HP is thicker.. Also for a $100, the Hillcrest labs tracker is awesome and way better then a gyration mouse, also offers 3DOF when needed and just usb plug and play

GL though.
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

@VRgamesterz

Thanks for the heads up about the toy vr helmet. That was/is one of my concerns but since I already ordered it, I will see what can be made of it. I do not plan to use the headphones that come with the shell anyway because I have a pair of hq Sennheisers. Also, thanks for the info about the Hillcrest tracker. I will look into it but I'm not too concerned about buying another tracker for 3dof because I have a kinect that will do the job.
Johnny-Mnemonic

brainpann wrote:@VRgamesterz
... Also, thanks for the info about the Hillcrest tracker. I will look into it but I'm not too concerned about buying another tracker for 3dof because I have a kinect that will do the job.
Kinect can do only position tracking, not rotation, so it's completely not the same.
I've used Hillcrest tracker with Kinect to have both rotations and position for this project:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=12894
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

Yeah, in hind sight I realize that kinect does not do rotation. I was thinking of a hack that used a vr920 with kinect and forgot that the vr920 had head-tracking built in. Cool project, btw.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

I have that exact same helmet, it is horribly uncomfortable for me.

One toy that is really, really comfortable (The most comfortable eye mask I have used thus far, too) is "Snowboard Virtual Reality Game". I cannot find it for sale anywhere, but Google images turns up lots of pics. I got mine on eBay for $4.

On a side note, I am modding my Headplay, too, but taking a different approach, by using a set of over-ear headphones as a base. No idea how it will work out in the end, but I already have the mounting done, working on a strap now.
ERP
Cross Eyed!

Post by ERP »

Is the Snowboard game one the same as this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/VR3D-Video-Game-Sys ... 100wt_1141
what does the original headset weigh?
I ask because I'm looking for a shell to house a project.
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

Right now my Headplay is mounted to the headband of an inexpensive led head lamp. With minimal of adjusting it sits in an almost perfect position.

Has anyone ever used the "INCREDIBLE HULK Virtual Reality VR 3D"?

http://www.incrediblehulkonline.com/vr3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Simple solution for video goggles..... (no its not my site)

http://www.fpv-plastics.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.abcliveit.com Change your life! PM for details
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

ERP wrote:Is the Snowboard game one the same as this one?
http://cgi.ebay.com/VR3D-Video-Game-Sys ... 100wt_1141
what does the original headset weigh?
I ask because I'm looking for a shell to house a project.
Yup! Exact same shell. See those little wings with the controls on them? They are too close together for a non-child head, so you will need to remove those, but other than that, it is a great shell. You will probably want to make a new elastic strap, ideally, as the stock one is not so comfortable, but it is okay. I do not know the exact weight, but it is quite light, and the face mask distributes weight very well.
brainpann wrote:Right now my Headplay is mounted to the headband of an inexpensive led head lamp. With minimal of adjusting it sits in an almost perfect position.

Has anyone ever used the "INCREDIBLE HULK Virtual Reality VR 3D"?

http://www.incrediblehulkonline.com/vr3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That looks like the same shell, too.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

fireslayer26 wrote:Simple solution for video goggles..... (no its not my site)

Has anybody tried the type C6 shown on the site - does it really block out all surrounding light ... ?
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

ancjob wrote:

Has anybody tried the type C6 shown on the site - does it really block out all surrounding light ... ?
I haven't yet, but I plan on getting it. I am on a R/C forum and the guys on there that have used them for FPV(first person view) flying have really liked them.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

fireslayer26 wrote:
ancjob wrote:

I haven't yet, but I plan on getting it. I am on a R/C forum and the guys on there that have used them for FPV(first person view) flying have really liked them.

i am gonna try the ski-google with headplay frame for headplay - looks quite promising for US$70 at least it's gonna be immersive blocking out all light...
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

The "Virtual Reality World II Golf" came in yesterday and it just so happened to be on my day off so I modded the Headplay inside. It was almost as simple as removing the original components inside and placing the headplay. To make it more comfortable, I repositioned the head strap location and used the old strap from the original Headplay. I also added a cushion to the top of the modded HMD. The gyration mouse is placed inside the front and currently being held in place with some foam pieces.

Overall it works surprisingly well once some of the comfort issues were resolved. I still need to add a small foam strip around the top of the Headplay to put just a tiny bit of distance from it to my eyes and I want reinforce some bits of plastic on it. One thing I really like is the purple "hatch" on top that allow easy access to the inside of the shell. It also acts as a storage for the airmouse and receiver.

I am waiting for a VR3d shell to arrive and will be modding it as well but I would definitely recommend the "Virtual Reality World II Golf" shell for modification.
Johnny-Mnemonic

Hey, looks cool!
Good to know that there is a place for a head-tracker.

Also, is the shell fully covers area around screens?
Or you can see a surrounding light? How it is for nose?
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

Hey, looks cool!
Thanks! If this ends up being my primary shell, I definitely plan to "pretty is up".
Also, is the shell fully covers area around screens?
Or you can see a surrounding light? How it is for nose?
The light is almost completely blocked. I am going to add a thin foam piece near the top to make it better but it is pretty good as it is. If you are directly under a light source, a little light will come through the purple piece because it is transparent. Nothing a little paint wont fix. :) There is a tiny bit of light that comes in around the nose but nothing major. As far as comfort, there is a some pressure placed on your nose and it does pinch the nostrils slightly. It doesn't really bother me though. I am going to make a few more modifications in the coming days and will post as I finish.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Cool to see the progress! I think you will like the VR3D shell a lot better, though. ;) Assuming it has the same rubber mask, it is extremely comfortable.
fireslayer26
Cross Eyed!

Post by fireslayer26 »

Looking forward to seeing your work! I have 2 headplay units. One, I am going to use the ski google mod I linked to previously for my FPV flying of my R/C plane and Hexacopter. The other I will set up for VR game play on the PC. This mod seems very good for that as you can incorporate the head tracking.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Nice mod. The headset looks like a good size too. It seems most of the "toy" HMDs are made for kids and are thus too small.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

looks like this : http://www.vrealities.com/hi-res800.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; or http://www.vrealities.com/visette45.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

just upgrade the LCDs to sxga if you are lucky - you got yourself a great AV companion...hehehe!
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

Just received the "VR3D" and it sits much better on the face is is quite a bit more comfortable. The plastic seems a bit sturdier and I look forward to putting the Headplay inside.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Awesome! I look forward to seeing the results.
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

What is the "VR3D" ?
Could I get a link with a picture so I could see what it looks like ?
brainpann
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by brainpann »

Whoa! Work and life has been keep me from posting but here is an update.

I will say again the the VR3d helmet is very comfortable but unfortunately the Headplay is too wide to fit properly. I thought about cutting up the shell of the VR3d but decided not to in case I want to use it for a different HMD. With that said, I will continue working on the original shell and start going forward with some modifications to it. If all goes well, it will be a very nice looking Portal 2 inspired design.

Return to “Do it Yourself!”