Nvis has a new web site design, and it is fantastic.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Nvis has a new web site design, and it is fantastic.

Post by PalmerTech »

They have a new site design, and it is great fun to look around. Lots of fun info, from detailed information on how their HMDs work, spec information, solid pricing info, and some 360 degree views of a few models.

Here is the homepage: http://nvisinc.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out their Technology page, and make sure to click everything you can; There are some awesome diagrams! http://www.nvisinc.com/technology.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Nvis has a new web site design, and it is fantastic.

Post by cybereality »

Pretty cool. I'm sure they cost a small fortune.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

They are very cost competitive, in terms of the pro-grade field, but far out of hobbyist reach. :(

http://www.nvisinc.com/pricelist.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I want the SX111! 111 degree FOV per eye, that is astounding.

A thought occurs to me: Even with very little advancement in the HMD space, headsets like these might be within the realm of purchasing. I mean, my V8 went for just over $1000, and it went for more than $10,000 up until 2008, when the VR1280 came out. Who knows, maybe 10 years from now, we will be able to find an SX111 for $2000 or so! :P
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

In 10 years I really hope we have more to look forward to than paying $2,000 for vintage technology.
Johnny-Mnemonic
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Johnny-Mnemonic »

Informative site indeed! 8-)
Even with modern expensive technology big FOV means big helmet, really hope to see something like SX111 on consumer market someday.

P.S. Note to self - need to make much more money!
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Awesome avatar, dude!
Johnny-Mnemonic

Thanks dude! :mrgreen:
Oculus Rift, Vuzix Wrap 920 AR!, Vuzix VR920, Liquid Image MRG 2.2, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, Microsoft Kinect, TrackIR5, 2 x Hillcrest Labs Freespace tracker, Fujifilm finepix real 3d w3, GeForce 9800GT 1Gb, GeForce GT 430 1Gb, DELL XPS 17 l702x with GeForce 555 GT 3Gb, and good-old VFX1 setup
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:They have a new site design, and it is great fun to look around. Lots of fun info, from detailed information on how their HMDs work, spec information, solid pricing info, and some 360 degree views of a few models.

Here is the homepage: http://nvisinc.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Check out their Technology page, and make sure to click everything you can; There are some awesome diagrams! http://www.nvisinc.com/technology.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

their HMDs despite being mostly 1280x1024 have contrast ratio as 100:1 and reflective as well - why ?- they must be costing the price of a luxury car........and i was cursing emagin for 200:1 contrast for 800x600 with fov 40 -- ok , ok i get it - emagin is emagin - the king of all HMDs....
Tone
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tone »

PalmerTech wrote:I want the SX111! 111 degree FOV per eye, that is astounding.
Actually 76 deg horiz. FOV per eye. 111 degrees for 2 eyes at about 50% overlap.
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Thanks for the correction, Tone. Got a bit too excited there, I guess! :lol:

@ancjob: Reflective panels tend to be higher quality, when used right. Throw them together with a nice RGB LED light source, and you have fantastic color gamut and brightness, not to mention the fact that visible subpixels are much less of an issue.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:Thanks for the correction, Tone. Got a bit too excited there, I guess! :lol:

@ancjob: Reflective panels tend to be higher quality, when used right. Throw them together with a nice RGB LED light source, and you have fantastic color gamut and brightness, not to mention the fact that visible subpixels are much less of an issue.
already reflective LCOS was trouble for me with headplay .....difficult to adjust
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

That is more of an optics issue than a problem with reflective panels in general.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:That is more of an optics issue than a problem with reflective panels in general.
usd 32000 for NVIS HMDs for the top of the line model they have - are they nuts ? - they 'd sell it to themselves only...that's more than a price of a luxury car...
Johnny-Mnemonic

ancjob wrote:usd 32000 for NVIS HMDs for the top of the line model they have - are they nuts ? - they 'd sell it to themselves only...that's more than a price of a luxury car...
Come on... after all it's just a luxury car, who care about it? :lol:
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

Johnny-Mnemonic wrote:
ancjob wrote:usd 32000 for NVIS HMDs for the top of the line model they have - are they nuts ? - they 'd sell it to themselves only...that's more than a price of a luxury car...
Come on... after all it's just a luxury car, who care about it? :lol:
somebody gotta make them understand the ridiculous prices they have for their top HMDs..and they hope to sell - how ironic is that ..and to top it all they have a control box which is as big as dvd player i thought the headplay control box was too much never short of surprises coming all the time . :evil:
PalmerTech

Post by PalmerTech »

Obviously, though, people ARE buying. They have stayed in business for many years, and they do well selling to medical, military, and research. Those HMDs cost a LOT of money to make, because they use all custom parts in very low quantities.
ancjob
Certif-Eyed!

Post by ancjob »

PalmerTech wrote:Obviously, though, people ARE buying. They have stayed in business for many years, and they do well selling to medical, military, and research. Those HMDs cost a LOT of money to make, because they use all custom parts in very low quantities.
who's restraining them from taking mass prod initiative......at least i am not.. :lol:
AntiCatalyst
Cross Eyed!

Post by AntiCatalyst »

Public interest. The interest in HMDs by the general public(not counting the users of this forum :D) is basically non-existant right now.

I'm not saying that they couldn't become popular if someone WERE to begin production, just that it would be an enormous risk to take for a small company that probably is selling well enough already.
"This is great!"
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

As much as I wish it were, VR is just not mainstream. Its only a small niche of people that want to wear helmets and body suits just to play a game.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

When i get some venture capital for my company i wanna make a portable holographic headset/remote/ect...

It basically is a device that clips on your belt or arm and is connected to a fibre optic cable to a holographic laser emitter system neckband collar attachment. Then according to my specs it should emit a display around you in 360 and possibly changing the look of your clothing arms ect... endless.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”