I'm loving the new MTBS-3D icon but....

This website is for our members. Do you have some design ideas? Are there features you would like to see? What additions would drive this site forward? POST YOUR IDEAS HERE!
Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

I'm loving the new MTBS-3D icon but....

Post by Silversurfer »

....I saw this very interesting animated gift (I think, I'm no programmer) on this website which really shouted out at me, "that's what the 3-D experience should be like, it's all about shouting out, WoW", what do you guys think, especially Neil and sharky?

The animated gift is at the bottom of this page, http://www.ftasat.co.uk/
and it has the 3-D word "Hello" jumping out at the monitor with a shadow following its every move!

The reason I like our new icon is that it has a dark background with lighter fonts which not only looks very modern in an Apple iPhone kind of way but if this principle was taken to its endth degree with the whole appearance of Windows and Internet Explorer you dramatically reduce the energy consumption of your computer because it takes less energy for a monitor to display dark backgrounds compared to light white backgrounds. I am passionate about this just like the Google Black homepage here, http://black-google.blogspot.com/ and its variants here, which also shows the energy saved to date http://www.blackle.com/ , it's the treehugging Christian in me :D

Anyway not to get off topic, please let me know Neil and sharky or any other website developer savvy programmer as to whether the current excellent MTBS 3D icon couldn't be made to jump out of the page like my suggested animated .gif without eating up website memory resources?
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

hi! :)

the problem with the logo is that it is the third change, so far, and we posted many times what users think of the logo and asked for feedback.. unfortunately these feedbacks did arrive, but allways after we published te logo..nobody said a word when it has been posted 3 months ago.. :(

by the way, this is only my opinion.. regarding the consumption of the monitor i dotn agree... lcd monitors have a backlight, which is allwas on.. what changes is the pixel color. in order to block the light you have to put a tension on that pixel (like shutterglasses work) , and to have it transparent you have to remove teh tension from that pixel.. so to have dark images you have to apply a tension to the pixels and that consumes. (this is my personal theory could be wrong too.. :) )

regards

igor
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Silversurfer
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Silversurfer »

Of course you are right, even as I was writing I remember your requests for feedback but unfortunately my "all spark" was void of ideas & completely used up :-)

On the energy consumption of desktop pixels I must admit I hadn't considered your theory on applying tension to obscure the back light, definitely needs more investigation. I do seem to remember reading that the LCD monitor even with backlighting consumes less than old CRT monitors, if I'm not mistaken so I guess were all doing our bit if we upgrade to LCDs including 3-D and remembering to use power saving software to boot.

By the way nice work on the restructuring of the website, it's much improved.

Cheers
Got a release or 3D news story to share? Email press@mtbs3D.com, and we'll put it up!

Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

Hello Silver :)

Are you sure it takes less energy?

On the day where everyone was supposed to turn their lights out for an hour, google went black too. And they specifically said that the black google takes the same amount as the white one.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

Welder wrote:Hello Silver :)

Are you sure it takes less energy?

On the day where everyone was supposed to turn their lights out for an hour, google went black too. And they specifically said that the black google takes the same amount as the white one.
A flat panel uses a backlight on all the time, an old-style monitor "paints" the picture on with an electron gun, so white = more electrons

With a flat panel "white" equals no power going to the liquid crystal, black equals power to the LCD matrix, so technically black takes more energy on flat panel LCD's, since they are now predominant there is likely no good reason to use black to save energy.
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

I also thought that there was no difference, but I've just read it (there is a link to a study at the blackle web page). And the difference is bigger in CRT's than in LCD's.
I don't understand it. In a CRT, isn't the three electrons beams a continous stream independently of the color levels and this levels controled by the grid?
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

No in a CRT the grid is just a mask to allow the colors to all align correctly.

The gun will fire on and off as it wipes across . ........ . . ....... . .. .. . . . .......

Aaaaand, we are so off topic.

Personally I don't know about sound in a game, I live with too many people and they don't let me use the sound, so it isn't all that important to me. (you could say I am too immersed)
CAVE, see what all the fuss is about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6NN5JKlIi0

Return to “MTBS Website Ideas”